Advice on buying headphones (AKG k420, k450, etc.)
Feb 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jorges

New Head-Fier
Last week I broke the headphones I was using (sennheiser omx 60), and while looking at a local store for a replacement pair, I heard a seller praising AKG phones (until then totally unknown to me). I don't usually listen much to sellers, but I started paying attention to this one as he was requested by different customers, as he gave the impression of knowing what he was talking about.

To sum up, I came back with an AKG K422 (I think they're the same as K420, but sold with a big "made for FNAC by AKG" in the box). The thing is, I liked them. In fact, I liked them so much that I went back to the store to buy the AKG K518 DJ (I doubted initially between these two at the store), because I thought greater pads and closed phones would add to the enjoyment the k420 gave me. Well, I will turn them back, simply because the clamp seems too small for my head (it just fits me fully when opened) and I can't just stand the pain in my ears (and the top of my head, too) after 15 minutes using it. The K422 took some time to get used, too, but the K518 are, by far, worst. I also discovered today another store which has the K420, the K450 and other models, way cheaper than where I bought my units. So, I think I will return both units, and then buy something else.

The thing is, if I start again, what would you suggest?
I like music a lot, and I listen to very different types, but I have no musical education and know very little about the audiophile jargon, so I find it hard to use proper terms for what I hear. Idon't even know if I have a good ear!. I like classic rock, indie music, a little bit of classic, folk, a bit of pop, tango, some jazz, and I am maybe forgetting something. I like bass, but not like in hip-hop (which I don't like much). I like bass instruments in general, and enjoy very much tracks with a strong presence of bass guitar, double bass, cello, etc. I also enjoy plucked string instruments a lot (guitar, harp, kora), but it's not limited only to that. I like also harmonica, and acoustic tracks in general. Well, I hope with this you would have an idea of what I should be looking for. I am not sure if I liked K422 because it suits me well, or because it is a step forward from what I am used to. My budget is limited, as the offer available here. I would say around 40-70 €. Portability is a pro, but I am open to suggestions.
As I already said, I enjoyed the akg k422, and I like the look of the akg k450. I have, though, read mixed opinions on the latter.

This is the list of readily available models here, and their prices. The list is not extensive, just what I've been looking at:

AKG
k420 37 €
k430 44 €
k450 64 €
k518DJ 42 € --> discarded, too uncomfortable

Shure
SRH240 55 €

Sennheiser
HD 448 64 €
HD 218 28 €
HD 515 64 €
HD 418 43 €
HD 438 79 €

I welcome suggestions, links and the like. I'll very much appreciate your opinions. jorge

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 12
If you like bass, I'd choose K450's out of this list

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
If you like bass, I'd choose K450's out of this list

Given that I have only listened to the K420 and the K518 (but only for a couple of hours), how would you compare the K450's against these? I found what I believe is the frequency response of the K450, but I am not sure how to interpret it (I mean, it's obvious that it has a strong bass, but how do the bumps and depressions would translate in my ears? I believe also that the frequency response doesn't tell the whole story, isn't it? Did you actually used them? If so, can you elaborate on what can I expect from them?

Image taken from doctorhead.ru

jorges

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 12
Sorry, didn't try 420's or 518's. I've used the 450's for a pretty long time as portables. I liked them very very much. Yes, they have a lot of bass, but are also pretty exciting sounding, they're not as slow a some bass heavy portables can be.

It took me some time and a couple of much more expensive portables to really hear the shortcomings of the 450 (transparency, detail).

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Sorry, didn't try 420's or 518's. I've used the 450's for a pretty long time as portables. I liked them very very much. Yes, they have a lot of bass, but are also pretty exciting sounding, they're not as slow a some bass heavy portables can be.

It took me some time and a couple of much more expensive portables to really hear the shortcomings of the 450 (transparency, detail).

slow? I guess I'll have to learn the jargon, is there a place where one can learn all these terms, or the only way is to read posts and ask people? All in all, I got your positive impression about them. Ah! out of curiosity, what are those other portables you mentioned?

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary 

Slow isn't there, but I guess it has something to do with being muddy, not upfront, don't know, difficult to describe actually
blink.gif

I tried ESW9, were very 'slow', p5 also but less, they had other problems (dark veil, undetailed), Beyer T50's are my favorite up until now, they're 'fast', but don't have overly many bass (yet enough for me), weird but likable sound for me personally.

Have to say, didn't found a perfect portable for my taste yet.

I had good times with those K450's in the past.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, I just bought the AKG K450's! I only listened to a few tracks so far. Right now I am listening to some african music with mostly drums (Djembe's, to be precise) and it sounds nice. In my mp3 player some tracks didn't sound too good, but I find it difficult to tell why. I wasn't in the mood for the music I had on it, so that might have helped. I will keep trying stuff. Unfortunately, I returned the K420 already, so I can't do a one to one comparison.
It looks nice, and it's very comfortable.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Mar 14, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 12

J.

On those tracks which suck, at what rate where they ripped?  One of the problems many folks have when upgrading from the standard "white" buds (which cost the vendor about $0.10) is the quality of the rips.  I don't know your situation, but many folks have a 2GB mp3 player- jammed with tons of cuts ripped at 64k, maybe 128k.

What they don't understand is that the closes most mp3's can get to a CD is 320k VBR.  The better you buds or phones are, the easier it is to hear the poor quality of the 64k or 128k rips. 

When you go shopping, your FIRST test bed should be a portable CD player.  With CDs you will be judging the quality of the phones, NOT the rips.  Of course- take a handful of your favorite CDs to see which phones provide the sound that makes YOU happy.

On your SECOND visit, check you favored phones with QUALITY rips on your mp3  player- this will help you determine which phones are best matched to YOUR mp3 player.  YES, there is a difference between players.

Hope this helps,

a.

P.S. Don't lock in on a brand, if you find phones made by a company NOBODY has ever heard of before, but they meet YOUR needs- then that's what YOU should buy!  Remember, it should always be about the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back