Advice needed to get the most out of my Sennheiser HD600s
Nov 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hamperstamper

New Head-Fier
I have tried to work this out for myself by searching the forums and reading extensively, but there is so much conflicting opinion out there, even about the equipment I already own.

Please could some experienced members advise me - what ONE upgrade would they make to my current setup, in order to wring more performance out of my HD600s.

My affordably assembled (by Head-Fi standards) rig is:

HD600 with stock HD650 cable
Audio GD Fun amp / dac with Earth OPA module fitted
Source: lossless audio files stored on PC and connected to Fun via usb

My musical tastes are wide, from classical, through electronic, to metal.
I very much enjoy my music through this setup, and can listen for hours at a time. I like the sound signature I'm getting. My ears dislike 'shrill' highs, and I dislike flabby bass.

Budget wise, I'm willing to spend money (but short of summit-fi), in order to improve the signature I currently enjoy, but can't figure out where best to target it.

Any advise you can offer would be much appreciated, and my poor head will thank you!

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 8
If it helps, the upgrade paths I've been considering are:

1. Using the Fun's dac section to feed a better amp
2. Getting a better dac
3. Improving my source, but wasn't sure where to even start with this
4. After market headphone cable - although I'm dubious of the benefits, and even if I weren't, would there be any appreciable difference within a modest setup anyway?

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I have tried to work this out for myself by searching the forums and reading extensively, but there is so much conflicting opinion out there, even about the equipment I already own.

Please could some experienced members advise me - what ONE upgrade would they make to my current setup, in order to wring more performance out of my HD600s.

My affordably assembled (by Head-Fi standards) rig is:

HD600 with stock HD650 cable
Audio GD Fun amp / dac with Earth OPA module fitted
Source: lossless audio files stored on PC and connected to Fun via usb

My musical tastes are wide, from classical, through electronic, to metal.
I very much enjoy my music through this setup, and can listen for hours at a time. I like the sound signature I'm getting. My ears dislike 'shrill' highs, and I dislike flabby bass.

Budget wise, I'm willing to spend money (but short of summit-fi), in order to improve the signature I currently enjoy, but can't figure out where best to target it.

Any advise you can offer would be much appreciated, and my poor head will thank you!

Heya,

More powerful tube amplifier.

Some quick options:

Schiit Valhalla
Schiit Lyr
Little Dot MK IV
Qinpu A-6000 MKII

Very best,

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you both. I've never tried a tube amp with my HD600s, only solid state.
I appreciate that more power will only improve the sound signature I love. What impact are tubes likely to have on it?

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Why would you look to improve though? Seems like you're happy with your setup. I'd just keep the money and enjoy my situation to be honest. Maybe in a year's time you will have a different perspective on things and it would be good to have the money available at that point.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Nirvana, I know I'm new here but I've had this setup for way over 2 years, and owned several different headphones (HD650, Denon D2000, Grado SR225i, Beyer DT880 for example) and amp/dacs previously. It took time to find exactly what I like and now I'm just trying to get the most out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back