Advice For Newbie ($150-200)
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bballdude007

New Head-Fier
A little background first, I have owned a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for about 3 years now and the headband has become dislodged and won't connect back.  I mainly used them on a Cowon iAudio 7 and also on my PC connecting it to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card.  My main complaint for the 280's was that, for me at least, not enough bass.

For my next purchase I would like to use them on either an Apple Ipod Touch 32 GB or Cowon J3 mp3 player and am still using it on my PC with the same sound card to watch movies or tv shows.

The Criteria for the next set of headphones:

1. Price $150 but willing to go as high as $200 depending on what I'm getting for the added difference.
2. Over the ear/ Closed/ Unamped
3. More bass then the 280's for when I listen to rap
4. Velour ear pads because I live in Las Vegas and the leather stuff is uncomfortable when I'm sweating and it's hot (100 F or more)

I have read in previous threads that the Audio Technca ATH-M50 may fit my preference, however, I would have to purchase Beyer DT250 velour pads for it, but I really don't want to do that if possible.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 22
Go with the M50s, they definitely have more bass than the 280s. They also don't require an amp, as they are driven well without one.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 22
On amazon, the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 32 OHM is at $185 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50s at $110.... what justifies this price difference?

Also, I forgot to mention that I listen to a lot of indie/lo-fi music (according to Amazon) which I know will sound great on any of these two headphones, but when I make that switch to rap I want the bass to wow me and that's mainly why I ask this forum to narrow it down.

I don't want a pair of headphones that is all bass and sacrifices everything else for the sake of bass.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 22
Once again, DT770?  M50?  SRH750?  There are also compatible velour earpads for each of these if I'm not mistaken.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 22
I personally use the Senn HD25-1 IIs with my Cowon J3.  I first tried a few over the ear options and ultimately decided the HDs with the velour pads work wonderfully.  The sound stage is fantastic and the bass response is very very good...competes well with most over the ears.  There is still some great isolation and very little sound leakage with these On-Ears...so don't dismiss them.  Turn on the BBE on your Cowon or iAudio players and wow...these things are impressive.  Even more so than the M50s which I had previously.  

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 22
I'm simply not a fan of IEM's.  I don't know if it's the earwax buildup or finding the right size to isolate but it just doesn't work for me.

I'm torn between the M50's, which has a good price but has the pleather pads which I really don't want... and the DT 770/32ohms because of the velour pads and supposedly good bass.  But I still hesitate because are the DT's worth the extra $75 more?

And finally, I don't understand how people think the 280's are comfortable.... I had to wear them differently after an hour or two each day (I had a job for about a year where I wore them close to 6 hours a day) to where the headband was at the back of my head to make it comfortable.  The pleather combined with heat and sweat tore those headphones up.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 22
The M50 is compatible with Beyer velours from DT250(?) from what I've read.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 22
Anybody with an answer to this...

Quote:
I'm torn between the M50's, which has a good price but has the pleather pads which I really don't want... and the DT 770/32ohms because of the velour pads and supposedly good bass.  But I still hesitate because are the DT's worth the extra $75 more?

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 22
I think you'll get more bass and soundstage from the beyers (no guarantee here I have DT770 Pro 80 ohm) than the M50 and also the clamp isn't bad on the beyers where it can be with the M50, comfort is better IMO with beyers.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back