Advice For Newbie ($150-200)
Sep 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 22
Has anyone tried the Beyer Dynamic DT-770 Premium 32 ohms version?  Now that you mentioned it tyty5150, I read mainly about the 80's vs the 250's vs the 600's and maybe one or two threads about the 32's.

I just want someone's definitive review on these before purchasing one.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 22
^ Yes, they were the least favorite of all the (six) closed headphones I've owned.  The bass was overpowering and undefined, the highs sounded bright and literally painful and the mids were lacking.  And despite their low ohm resistance, they benefited the *most* of all those closed headphones from amplification - i.e. had the biggest drop in quality played out an ipod vs. a stereo/amp.  The 250 & 600 ohm models are supposed to be much more balanced in sound, but also need to be played out an amplifier.  

Between the headphones you're considering, I'd get the M50s, people really love them and compare them favorably to headphones that cost much more.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
The 32 ohm version of the DT 770's could be good for you. 

X2. Stay away from the dt880 for bass heavy music. DT770 is exactly what you're looking for. They can be had for the cheap cheap here on the FS forum.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
^ Yes, they were the least favorite of all the (six) closed headphones I've owned.  The bass was overpowering and undefined, the highs sounded bright and literally painful and the mids were lacking.  And despite their low ohm resistance, they benefited the *most* of all those closed headphones from amplification - i.e. had the biggest drop in quality played out an ipod vs. a stereo/amp.  The 250 & 600 ohm models are supposed to be much more balanced in sound, but also need to be played out an amplifier.  

Between the headphones you're considering, I'd get the M50s, people really love them and compare them favorably to headphones that cost much more.

interesting...

anyone else have anything to say about the 32 ohm DT 770's?? they look super comfortable, but i want to be able to play my headphones out of laptop or possibly mp3 player, so i don't think the 80 ohm's would be the right choice either.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 22
I too would like to know as I am in the same exact dilemma.

I know for a fact you can't go wrong with the M50s but I want the beyers for those cloud like padding <3

But I've heard the same, that the DT770/32 get a lot more out of an amp. But I do not plan on getting one (and am assuming you're the same) and so I cannot decide.

At this point its either 

M50 = Can't go wrong
or
DT770/32 = A"MWE:VNSDL Comfortable. But not 100% sure on the quality w/o amp.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 22
i was in the same situation as you OP and i just purchased a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's. Why?

They are easy to drive without an amp.
People have reported getting better quality bass than the DT 770's (32 ohm).
I think they look pretty clean (i know not a lot of people's concern around here, but if i don't like the way they look, i'm not gonna be happy with them no matter how good they sound).

here's a good thread on here where people are talking about them and what they're all about:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/327443/what-s-the-word-on-the-ultrasone-hfi-580

HFI580-large.jpg

again, this is coming from someone who JUST purchased them. I can't vouch for them personally yet, but just letting you know what my final decision was after HOURS of research on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back