Advice, and what I learnt from disliking Pro 900s.
Mar 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

digiman

Head-Fier
Hi All,

So I've been reading these forums quite frequently this last week, and decided I should step up and say hello and show my gratitude for the immense amount of knowledge floating about.

My main reason for posting is to ask for some help on which headphones to upgrade to from my beloved dt770's. I recently bought the Pro 900s, and I understand that they need 'burn in' (72hrs so far) but i I think i just dont like their sound. For 9/10 songs I'm listening to, I'll reach back to my dt770s, which by no means are as detailed or punchy, but are so much more pleasurable and musical. I realise that dt770s don't hold much weight round these parts (hence the upgraditis), so if someone could offer some expertise on what should be next i'd be very grateful.

What i know i like: Musicality, something that bring everything together, and sounds lush. Bass, gorgeous mids, and slightly (!) recessed highs. I think my ears are overly sensitive to bright treble, this is why the pro 900 just plain hurt sometimes. I know I like space, the dt770s sound far more spacious then the pro 900, although I have never actually tried an open can... 

What i know I don't like: Analytical seperation, recessed mids, piercing highs.

Music I listen to: IDM, Dubstep, Rock, Jazz, Ambient, DnB, Metal, Soundtracks. (Electronic the most, but only marginaly)

I have some DarthV4s on order, and i've briefly heard them. I know that they will cover me for when I'm in a basshead mood, or maybe relaxed late night sessions. But i'd like something to provide the details, airy, soundstage (without losing too much bass). Probably something that I know i'm missing but can't quite put my finger on..

I have around £350, and i'm wondering whether at this budget, every can is a huge compromise. 

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 6
I love crystal, ear tearing highs that pro900`s have :)

Go for Denon`s, D2000-7000.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I love crystal, ear tearing highs that pro900`s have :)

Go for Denon`s, D2000-7000.

Welcome to Head-fi

+1 on the Denons. I think I still prefer my 2Ks to the Pro 900s. 

For me the 900's are only ear tearing at first, after 75+ hours of burn they tame, if anything I would say they on the whole the 900's are a shade dark and not bright that people claim.

The HFI-780, now they are bright even painful for the first 200hrs, must be an Ultrasone thing.  

As for another option the Audio Technica AD900 might be worth a look.

happy shopping

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Painful in a good way, that is. I love me some crystal highs :)

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
What i know I don't like: Analytical seperation, recessed mids, piercing highs.

That's part of the reason why I didn't like mine. Except the "analytical seperation" part. But that just goes to prove it's preference first.

Something strange happened to my Pro 900 around the 220-250 hour mark. The bass tightened and treble was tamed. After this burn in, the Pro 900 sounds quite different from it's original state. Not mind blowing different, just interestingly different. It seems the whole sound was polished a bit, and the sharp edges were taken off parts of the sound. Some might not like the bass tightening though.

Well, if you like your DT770's better, than maybe the Pro 900 would be better off in the FS forums. But if you even slightly like the sound, burn in it first. If not, all the burn in in the world won't change your mind. Because even when they were finished with me, I simply couldn't stand their treble in comparison to even the AD700.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Based on your description of the ideal sound signature, the Sennheiser HD650 look to be your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back