Advantages to reshelling universals?
Apr 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

grapefruit

100+ Head-Fier
I plan on entering the custom iem market for a set of entry level iems, and I've come along with some interesting alternative options.  Firstly, I see that many companies will reshell universal BA IEMS for something like 100 bucks.  Then I see that I can get something like the westone 4 or shure 535, which are both largely lauded universals.

Is there any distinct advantage to reshelling universals aside from improving the seal?  It seems like reshelling universals is kind of a crapshoot since the rearrangement of the drivers and bore design will all change the sound signature.  It seems like provided there is a good seal, universals offer a better value.  Would reshelling a pair of UE TF10's give comparable performance to a dual-low single high custom?

Secondly, how would a set of westone 4's or shure 535's compare to some JH5's, 1964-D's, or Heir 3.A's?  I dont think the difference should be that great.

And finally, if it is the case that customs are leagues ahead of universals of any sort, does anyone have recommendations for customs around the $400 range?

It seems like some believe customs are overhyped, while others think custom IEM's are the only way to go for top notch IEM SQ.  Penny for your thoughts?

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 43
Does it change anything though with the sound or anything?

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 43
Yes companies who do reshells try as best as they can to retain the same sound signature, but very often they will still have very minor differences as it is almost impossible to retain the exact sound. 

Other than the improved isolation, you also get a perfect fit every single time. Just the perfect fit itself improves the sound by a large margin in my experience.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
Yes companies who do reshells try as best as they can to retain the same sound signature, but very often they will still have very minor differences as it is almost impossible to retain the exact sound. 

Other than the improved isolation, you also get a perfect fit every single time. Just the perfect fit itself improves the sound by a large margin in my experience.

I agree, achieving better bass and better isolation will improve the overall sound

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 43
If your iems have removable cables its better to get custom tips you will get same sound and isolation as custom reshell but without destroy your heasphones, if cables are not removable reshell is a good choice

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 43

Quote:
I plan on entering the custom iem market for a set of entry level iems, and I've come along with some interesting alternative options.  Firstly, I see that many companies will reshell universal BA IEMS for something like 100 bucks.  Then I see that I can get something like the westone 4 or shure 535, which are both largely lauded universals.

Is there any distinct advantage to reshelling universals aside from improving the seal?  It seems like reshelling universals is kind of a crapshoot since the rearrangement of the drivers and bore design will all change the sound signature.  It seems like provided there is a good seal, universals offer a better value.  Would reshelling a pair of UE TF10's give comparable performance to a dual-low single high custom?

Secondly, how would a set of westone 4's or shure 535's compare to some JH5's, 1964-D's, or Heir 3.A's?  I dont think the difference should be that great.

And finally, if it is the case that customs are leagues ahead of universals of any sort, does anyone have recommendations for customs around the $400 range?

It seems like some believe customs are overhyped, while others think custom IEM's are the only way to go for top notch IEM SQ.  Penny for your thoughts?

Re-shelling universals can improve not only the seal, but the build quality, sound and change a non-removable cable to a removable one. Re-shelling something like a TF10 and comparing it to dual-low singly high customs will then be a matter of preference. I have only tried the JH5 demo sets which I believe is on par with both the SE535 and Westone 4. I think one of the many people that believes customs are overhyped is music_4321. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 43
out of curiosity, does anyone know if anyones reshell's using shure's connection style pins. say you have a few cables for the shure's and you are looking to maintain using those? is that possible?

i would say that sound isolation is a big plug WITH the right molds, if you are going to go customs go with a good audiologist to get impressions made. this can make or break the custom process. if the molds arent good or not up to par, you can get canal fitment issues. or just overall fitment issues which will be a pain. because then you will need to have molds made again and then resend out your customs. it could just turn into a big pita. 

so start with a good set of molds to start the custom process.

also changing out the cable on the W4 OR SE535 greatly change the way those iem' sound, i can vouch for the sound of cable changes in the se535, its amazing

but when you take into consideration the price of the se535 or w4 + cables customs arent that far off.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 43

Quote:
out of curiosity, does anyone know if anyones reshell's using shure's connection style pins. say you have a few cables for the shure's and you are looking to maintain using those? is that possible?

i would say that sound isolation is a big plug WITH the right molds, if you are going to go customs go with a good audiologist to get impressions made. this can make or break the custom process. if the molds arent good or not up to par, you can get canal fitment issues. or just overall fitment issues which will be a pain. because then you will need to have molds made again and then resend out your customs. it could just turn into a big pita. 

so start with a good set of molds to start the custom process.

also changing out the cable on the W4 OR SE535 greatly change the way those iem' sound, i can vouch for the sound of cable changes in the se535, its amazing

but when you take into consideration the price of the se535 or w4 + cables customs arent that far off.

Most custom re-shelling companies like UM only provides UE and Westone socket plugs.... so I don't know about that. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 43
$400 JH5 will sound better than W4, SE535, and W3.  I have owned all.  I know another Head-Fier that feels the same and he has owned all.

With the possible exception of TF10, I would NEVER pay to re-shell a universal.  With the invention of comply tips, universals fit as good or even better than customs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 43
While I have not owned the W4 or SE535 (I've merely demoed them at length), I do have the W3 and I too prefer the JH5 over all of them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back