AD700...and Head size.
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm starting this thread hoping to end the still-lurking question of how big your head has to be to have a nice fit with the AD700...

So here's the question: If you feel like you have a nice secure fit with your AD700 (WITHOUT the rubberband mod), if you'd be so kind, would you mind (sorry for the trouble. I realize it'd be a very awkward process...) measuring the width of your head and posting it here? Also, if you couldn't get a good fit and returned/sold them, can you also measure the width of your head and post it? I hope I can then figure out what's the fine line between fit and no fit. 

Although there's the rubberband mod, but if we're to spend about 100 dollars on a headphone (which can be a lot of money for some), it'd be better to do so with the peace of mind that the headphone will stay on your head while you're listening to music. Also, if we figure this out, many people who don't want to do a rubberband mod to listen to it could just look for an alternative instead of buying and returning them in disappointment...

Thanks for your help!

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
I would not recommend head banging. Nodding sure, but definitely not headbanging.

Definitely not for head banging, period. Maybe some cans that clamp the hell out of your skull but I cannot think of any even the HD280. Simple solution is not to bang your head then the AD700s are the cans to be had for the price.
Have you tried the Skullcandy for some skullclamping cans?

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 23
Hm.. so I guess definitely no head banging. But is it safe enough to walk around connected to a portable rig? For example, when I hear someone call me, would I need to be careful when turning my head?

Also, would you mind posting your ear to ear measurements?

oops I forgot to answer your question. No I haven't tried any skull candy headphones. Only one I got is ath-m50.

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Hm.. so I guess definitely no head banging. But is it safe enough to walk around connected to a portable rig? For example, when I hear someone call me, would I need to be careful when turning my head?

Also, would you mind posting your ear to ear measurements?

oops I forgot to answer your question. No I haven't tried any skull candy headphones. Only one I got is ath-m50.

You have a nice pair of M50s there. Why's the AD700 may I ask?

I have a big head and  lot of hair but the AD 700 will only stay put if I keep my head straight. I did not have my head measured but I know that my head is big .

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 23
I don't know if I fully understand your question. Im just guessing but are you asking why I'm considering the AD700 or am talking about the ad700s even when I don't have it?

If yes, because I think AD700 would be a good headphone to widen my headphone experience. I feel like Ad700 is a good complementary headphone to M50, for example in AD700's excelling point like the sound stage, good highs and mids, althuogh lacking in bass, and open design, compared to M50's strong articulate bass, sligthly recessed mids, very narrow soundstage, and the closed design.

Quote:
You have a nice pair of M50s there. Why's the AD700 may I ask? 

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
I don't know if I fully understand your question. Im just guessing but are you asking why I'm considering the AD700 or am talking about the ad700s even when I don't have it?

If yes, because I think AD700 would be a good headphone to widen my headphone experience. I feel like Ad700 is a good complementary headphone to M50, for example in AD700's excelling point like the sound stage, good highs and mids, althuogh lacking in bass, and open design, compared to M50's strong articulate bass, sligthly recessed mids, very narrow soundstage, and the closed design.

I see. I am sorry to ask. Yes the AD700s have better sound stage being an open design as comparing to the A700. I have both and they are nice for the price. I have the M50s that I bought to see what's all the hype is about but they are still in my closet along with my HD 598 since I am so busy lately. Hope you like the AD700s just do not wear them outside yourhouse  with the purple colour of their ear cups. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 23
Oh no need to be sorry. I haven't purchased the AD700 yet. I was just curious about all the complaints of not getting a fit because AD700 were too big and was hoping to end uninformed purchases. xP. Hm.. if both M50 and AD700 are in your closet, what about the HD650? I feel like they'd be my dream headphones when I have enough money, being open design w/ strong bass, and a nice sound stage. Although, I'm not sure if ill like the "lush" sound...

And sorry but one more question, what aspects of sound quality do you prefer your JVC Harx headphones compared to the M50 and AD700?

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Oh no need to be sorry. I haven't purchased the AD700 yet. I was just curious about all the complaints of not getting a fit because AD700 were too big and was hoping to end uninformed purchases. xP. Hm.. if both M50 and AD700 are in your closet, what about the HD650? I feel like they'd be my dream headphones when I have enough money, being open design w/ strong bass, and a nice sound stage. Although, I'm not sure if ill like the "lush" sound...

And sorry but one more question, what aspects of sound quality do you prefer your JVC Harx headphones compared to the M50 and AD700?

I gave my Harx 700/ 900 to my son for his gaming stuff. They are good if you use EQ other than that they are like the receiver sound comparing to separated pre/amp. The receiver is good but there is limitation in depth, decay, and image ( all sound falls in the middle of the 2 speakers). Separated pre/amp provides better soundstage and image. That's what I am looking for in the headphones.

Senn HD 650 and AKG 702 are a few steps above the  norm. YMMV.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 23
The fit is indead the weirdest I have come across. Two theories. Either they are designed with people wearing glasses. Maybe they are designed as to not make a seal and be more airy and open dunno... 

Mine does stay on my head also with moderate headbanging. Not that there is much headbanging going because they are quite bass shy so that isn´t really a problem. Medium to large head I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back