Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon
Aug 18, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #181 of 553
  Sorry folks I just looked on the AR website and found to styles of cases available. I just ordered from there.

Thanks to the folks at AR for such a good discount and deal on the M20 just for signing up for the newsletter.
My face looks like this today
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
!

Nice glad to see you are enjoying it bud. Keep those impressions rolling in. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #182 of 553
Hi Dunun. Thanks. It's nice to have my impressions confirmed. I'm never too sure how good my analytical listening is.
I won't be changing the K10's. I just wanted to get the best out of them.
I'm beginning to think that may have to be the iPhone. Certainly any DAP manufacturer has got a task on their hands beating it for convenience and versatility.
The SQ is not shabby either!

No problem hey got to be honest when we post or we end up with the dreaded buyer's remorse!! 

The K10 require something with a little less bass emphasis and power which is one of the reasons the iPhone shines with them but the iPhone isn't going to be your last word in audio fidelity believe me.

Just have patience I know of some things coming out and I can't say anything about them for a while but hold on to your money and good things will come to those who wait. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #183 of 553
No problem hey got to be honest when we post or we end up with the dreaded buyer's remorse!! 

The K10 require something with a little less bass emphasis and power which is one of the reasons the iPhone shines with them but the iPhone isn't going to be your last word in audio fidelity believe me.

Just have patience I know of some things coming out and I can't say anything about them for a while but hold on to your money and good things will come to those who wait. 

You tease!

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #184 of 553
After a night of playing with my new M-20. I am mostly pleased with it. Sound is dynamic and very powerful. Each song I played in Tidal or the AR player has been great.

I do have a issue that is strange. If I play a few tunes in tidal and close it out, then go to Spotify, I have no sound. If I reboot, Spotify has sound. But if I switch from Spotify to the AR player, the AR player has no sound.
I've unistalled Spotify and reinstalled it and now the issue is random. However, it still happens. If I go from Tidal to the AR player, no problem.
Strange, I've updated the firmware and its still present. Any ideas?

Also is there an option to change the player's orientation from portrait to landscape? Tidal videos are tiny and I can't find a setting for changing the screen rotation in the system settings. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #185 of 553
  After a night of playing with my new M-20. I am mostly pleased with it. Sound is dynamic and very powerful. Each song I played in Tidal or the AR player has been great.

I do have a issue that is strange. If I play a few tunes in tidal and close it out, then go to Spotify, I have no sound. If I reboot, Spotify has sound. But if I switch from Spotify to the AR player, the AR player has no sound.
I've unistalled Spotify and reinstalled it and now the issue is random. However, it still happens. If I go from Tidal to the AR player, no problem.
Strange, I've updated the firmware and its still present. Any ideas?

Also is there an option to change the player's orientation from portrait to landscape? Tidal videos are tiny and I can't find a setting for changing the screen rotation in the system settings. 

Hi RR,
Glad you like the sound, that's what the M20 is built for and why it sounds better than all the other $1000 class players.
I have never come across your Tidal problem, but we will try to reproduce it and let you know.
There is no landscape option, as the M20 is built for audio, not video. I will ask the designer, if it easy to do we may implement it but don't hold your breath
Cheers

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #186 of 553

Thanks @AR-Voice

Having the M2 and the ability to change the rotational view gave me the expectation that the M20 would do the same. Not a show stopper--but a nice to have. 
I also think that the sound issue is more related to Spotify? Because if I play anything on Spotify after coming from AR player or Tidal, that's where the issue exists.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #187 of 553

Thanks @AR-Voice

Having the M2 and the ability to change the rotational view gave me the expectation that the M20 would do the same. Not a show stopper--but a nice to have. 
I also think that the sound issue is more related to Spotify? Because if I play anything on Spotify after coming from AR player or Tidal, that's where the issue exists.

Hey just want to confirm this had another person with the same issue Spotify has a bug in it stick with Tidal for now and the inbuilt player if you can. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #188 of 553
  Hey just want to confirm this had another person with the same issue Spotify has a bug in it stick with Tidal for now and the inbuilt player if you can. 

I guess my shock is that it works fine on other players in the M2 for example. I like both Spotify and Tidal and really am disappointed in this revelation. But hopefully in the future this gets fixed.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #189 of 553
Ref Spotify, the designer just told me

"There is a known issue regarding “audio focus”.  Under some cases, switching between program may cause a lost of sound stream (losing “audio focus”).  We have done some work in a newer firmware and we will see if the problem is fixed or not."

So watch out here for next firmware release.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #190 of 553

Thanks @AR-Voice

This is weird because I can't change rotation on my M2 )-: How did you do this?

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #192 of 553
Here's a colourful pic of my travel M20, loaded for streaming. Qobuz sounds amazing as it streams our case at full Hi-res
The blue blob matches one on my Micro USB lead so I insert the right way up! I hate Micro USB!!!!

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #193 of 553
Aug 24, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #195 of 553
Hey guys, just in case anyone's interested, I'm selling mine. Got it for the on-sale rate, so I'm happy to part with it for the same price: $560, plus shipping to wherever. 

Used it for exactly 1 hour then put it back in the box. So condition is super pristine. Didn't open or use any of the accessories so those are pristine condition too.

The SQ isn't really my preference. The soundstage and clarity on this is really wide (used my Oppo PM-3), detail retrieval is great and those highs are really crisp, it just didn't have the bass oomph that I was looking for. I guess its a bit more neutral and analytical than I'm used to. But if you value detail and clarity over bass, then it'll probably work great for you.

Just PM me if you're interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back