Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #121 of 383
The pads are the things that worry me now. Is it really so difficult to make deep enough earpads? Sigh

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #122 of 383
The pads are the things that worry me now. Is it really so difficult to make deep enough earpads? Sigh
Seems like it. Audio-Technica is particularly bad at that. The best experience I had so far was with the HD800. Nothing touched my ears, wonderful feeling. I'm trying to remember what the LCD-4 felt like - probably deep enough, but touching the side of my ears.

Edit: The AR-H1's earpads are also super soft, which doesn't help. The Focal Listen's pads are denser.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #123 of 383
Yes, my right ear sometimes sits on the driver cover and cause a hotspot after a while. I do wish they had made them a little deeper. Keep in mind though this is their first ever planar and AFAIK they've only done one or two other headphones so I expect them to improve over time. Whatever their next model will be (hope they're working on more) it's likely to be even better. In the meantime though it would be great if they released thicker or denser replacement pads for the H1.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #124 of 383
This is the best rendition of Beck's Sea Change that I have heard so far (24/192 kHz FLAC from HDtracks via VOX and the nano iDSD to the AR-H1). Especially "Side ot the Road" sounds mesmerizing.
This is also the most expensive headphone I ever got to use for extended listening sessions in quiet conditions, of course.

Earlier I was listening quite loudly to some hardcore (Miss K8) and colleagues became concerned for my hearing. So yeah, they are open :wink:

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #125 of 383
20171102_190435.jpg

Just got mine in today! Running them balanced and so far I don't miss the HE560 that I had to return due to driver matching issues. After only a brief listen, I noticed right away that really wide soundstage that seems artificial like the HD800 but I'm loving what I'm hearing so far and will give more impression in a few days or so.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #126 of 383
Oh man these are so damn good with orchestra type music with its resolving ability to bring out micro-details that wasn't present on the HE560. I've found it to be very textured and has this graininess that makes instruments sounds crisp.
Again, I have to mention the unusually wide/deep soundstage for a planar that is somewhat similar to HD800. At first listen, I was taken a back because it sounded weird but now I realized its that amazing soundstage!

I'll add more when I get more listening time since I only managed to listen a few hours late at night. I did leave it to burn-in while not in use which I usually always do when I get new headphones.

This is a keeper for sure! I really preferred these to HE560 (lacks the micro detail, resolution, tonality and cheap build) and LCD2 2016 (too narrow soundstage and slightly dark for my taste)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #127 of 383
Oh man these are so damn good with orchestra type music with its resolving ability to bring out micro-details that wasn't present on the HE560. I've found it to be very textured and has this graininess that makes instruments sounds crisp.
Again, I have to mention the unusually wide/deep soundstage for a planar that is somewhat similar to HD800. At first listen, I was taken a back because it sounded weird but now I realized its that amazing soundstage!

I'll add more when I get more listening time since I only managed to listen a few hours late at night. I did leave it to burn-in while not in use which I usually always do when I get new headphones.

This is a keeper for sure! I really preferred these to HE560 (lacks the micro detail, resolution, tonality and cheap build) and LCD2 2016 (too narrow soundstage and slightly dark for my taste)
Arrrr after reading your post I just had to plug these in for a listen, even though I should be doing other things!

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #129 of 383
IMO, the bass is just as good as and LCD 2.2 but there is better clarity, treble and the comfort is so much better as they are very light.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #132 of 383
Build quality is really top notch on this headphone, but an aftermarket cable is a must since the stock one is pretty crappy.

The stock pads are fine while its bit thinner than the ones I'm used to (ZMF pads). I don't really have any issues with them.

Clamp force on the headband is slightly tight, but it can be bent if you desired a looser fit. I left mine as is for now and it should loosen to fit my head naturally on its own.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #134 of 383

Fujiya Avic Autumn Headphone Festival 2017 !!

IMG_0279.jpg
IMG_0280.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0284.jpg

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #135 of 383
Build quality is really top notch on this headphone, but an aftermarket cable is a must since the stock one is pretty crappy.

The stock pads are fine while its bit thinner than the ones I'm used (ZMF pads) I don't really have any issues with them.

Clamp force on the headband is slightly tight, but it can be bent if you desired a looser fit. I left mine as is for now and it should loosen to fit my head naturally on its own.
Really? I quite like the cable. It's smooth and sturdy but is a little long if you want to use it for portable though I don't really see why anyone would do that. I especially like how the 6.35 mm adapter joins so seamlessly, it feels really premium. I also bought a balanced 4-pin XLR cable but didn't notice any significant gains in audio quality so have been using the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back