1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by crabdog, Jul 30, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. Nathanl
    Ty for the reply, a set of planar with good bass extension is what I'm after I just have issues waiting for a toy lol

2. cskippy
    It depends on your sound preferences and associated gear, but the AR-H1 has excellent bass, with great sub bass extension and enough quantity to satisfy my needs. I would say the bass is almost on par with the LCD 2.2 pre fazor I recently heard but the treble is higher on the AR-H1 so the bass doesn't always take front stage.

trellus likes this.
  3. Nathanl
    Right now, I am using a schiit stack 2uber and modi 2 and I expect it brightens everything I use. My concern is the warranty for the AR is 1 year while Audeze is 3 for the driver. The frequency range on the AR is impressive, and it looks great. Just not a lot of solid recommendations since it is so new....

4. cskippy
    True. Then I would wait until someone can directly compare them.

5. cskippy
    The pads on the AR-H1 are smaller than Hifiman or ZMF pads. Brainwavz pads actually seem to fit well but I'm not sacrificing the stock pads to try. I'll see if I can get additional pad mounting adapters.

6. cskippy
    I'm not usually a believer in burn in, but I found with planars, they can be harsh or brittle sounding out of the box. The AR-H1 has about 20 hours on them and they are sounding smoother, more like the pair i heard at RMAF. When I first got them, the snare element and hi hat in WRLD - Drowning of Monstercat 026 was piercing to the point I had to take the headphones off. Now, they have appropriate bite and energy but are no longer fatiguing or painful.

trellus likes this.
  7. DancingShade
    Good info to know, thanks. Heck if they even just sell replacement pads that might be an option for some destructive modding - fully agree with you that damaging stock pads without a replacement available is a bad move.

8. Level5
    I emailed them today about replacement pads but still waiting for a reply. I do hope they offer it for sale because if not that would be a real bummer.

9. crabdog
    Are you sure it's a result of burn-in and not just your brain adjusting?

10. cskippy
    I thought of that but I have my LFF modded HE-6, which is my reference, and the AR-H1 was brighter across the board at the beginning. I was actually contemplating selling them or doing a trade. Now I'm planning on keeping them as a secondary headphone for guests to listen on, or a fun alternative for movies and games.

11. heliosphann
    For sure. I was listening to some epic soundtrack scores and the AR-H1's absolutely killed!!! Handles that thunderous sub-bass with ease. Probably also be pretty good for gaming as far as planars go (which I usually don't recommend).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  12. cskippy
    That's funny that you don't like planars for gaming, as I'm the exact opposite. I'll take my HE-6 over the HD800 any day for gaming. I've talked about this a few times but my reasoning is that with dynamics, and especially the HD800, they project an excellent sound stage that usually sits further in front of the listener compared to planars. This is great for music but hurts 3D positioning in games as sounds from the rear sound more in your head. The 3D sound stage is more like a half circle with the rear audio cues running through your head and side and front cues being a little more distant but with good accuracy in positioning.

Planars can have pretty good sound stages but are usually considered more in your head. Most audio in video games has some sort of processing to help with positional cues, this projects the audio further from listeners. Planars excel here as the sound stage has been pushed out but it's a closer to a perfect circle if you pick a sound and spin around in a circle listening to the position around you head and the distance it sits. All IME, and others might here differently. I just wanted to share my thoughts on planars for gaming.

trellus likes this.
  13. conquerator2
    I'd say that strictly speaking, you can't say that dynamics are inferior to planars for gaming, or the other way around. HD800 and HE6 don't represent the whole range of dynamics/planars after all. I'd concur though that HiFiMAN planars are spacious enough to do really well with games, but then so were many AKGs and other dynamics that I've tested.
    In general, most well performing headphones will do really well. Colored headphones will depend on how colored there are. And lastly; whether one wants to go for immersion rather than accuracy and vice versa :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  14. cskippy
    Oh absolutely. That's why I said in my experience. I haven't heard a ton of dynamic headphones, and our brains can get accustomed to pretty much anything which is why there are a lot of good headphone recommendations in MadLustEnvy's Gaming Headphone guide.

conquerator2 likes this.
  15. conquerator2
    That's exactly the thread I was going to allude to :)

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last