Aclear Porta NXT-2AK Review. Improve your audio quality without a Battery!
Jun 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 47
Here is the summary of these products on the Nakamura site.

if you go in and translate the Japanese for the NXT-1, it has the same functions as the NXT-2AK. It has TRRS inputs and outputs. It can do full balanced drive, and like the NXT-2AK it can also convert single-ended to balanced (which is common function of isolation transformers). Where it differs is that unlike the NXT-2AK, it is not specifically advertised as suitable for pure single-ended use. However that may just be an omission in the short Japanese description.

(EDIT: Google translate also has its limitations. Reading between the lines, I think that it functions just like the NXT-2AK, i.e. suitable for purely single-ended use.)

The obvious difference between the NXT-2AK and NXT-1 is that the latter does not have a TRRS 2.5mm output which is suitable for headphones terminated for the AK240. (An accessory cable is available for the NXT-1 that adds that function.)

If you want a pure single-ended Aclear Porta isolation transformer, the model is the NIP-05TH. It doesn't look as nice though. 

The NXT-1 and NIP-05TH are both an ounce lighter than the NXT-2AK. (The NXT-2AK is the second densest thing that I own; only the special dive weights for my rebreather more closely approximate a black hole.) Lighter is not necessarily better though. Good transformers are inherently heavy.

I can only say that the NXT-2AK is a beautifully made product and sounds great with both my PAW Gold and M. I am happy with it.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 47
I think the question is whether they internally all the same, which they might not be and result in sound change. The only reason why I am going for the NXT-2AK is simply because I am assuming it is the more matured version of their earlier models.

I have no need for the 2.5 mm TRRS to be honest. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #19 of 47
Not mistaken. I need to bring it out again for the Laylas and try it with other headphones too.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #20 of 47

Courtesy of @Currawong: I find that it does seem to give that edge in clarity and crispness. However I've also noticed that at least in the above setup (with my MH335DW-SR), the bass warmth is toned a little. Whilst that works well with bass heavy earphones like the MH335DW-SR, I'm not certain what the effect would be with earphones that are more bass neutral.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 47

Courtesy of @Currawong: I find that it does seem to give that edge in clarity and crispness. However I've also noticed that at least in the above setup (with my MH335DW-SR), the bass warmth is toned a little. Whilst that works well with bass heavy earphones like the MH335DW-SR, I'm not certain what the effect would be with earphones that are more bass neutral.

Agreed, especially if that is the M. I always found the NXT-2AK to be a mixed bag in that combination because of the toned down bass.

On the other hand, I am finding nothing but upside with the PAW Gold which has tons of hard-hitting bass. (Admittedly I do a tiny bit of EQ of mids, but not the lower end. I also like the same PMEQ setting with and without the NXT-2AK.)

This is true with all of my IEMs so far, such that to my ear the issue with the NXT-2AK is not which IEMs you use it with but rather which DAP.

This is my full-time portable rig now. I love this combination.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 47
I wonder if a pair of NXT-2AK were any good for Hugo's dual 3.5-mm outputs, something nice could be done with the right wiring

9FVP5wv.jpg

7SEFgTX.jpg

http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115589&start=4750#p1097428
https://www.facebook.com/groups/695565413823775/permalink/873225542724427/

For instance, someone in Japan did something like this and that's fairly interesting to look at such monster stack if you will. LOL

http://audiotaishi.blogspot.com/2014/06/g-ebony80theorem720nip022.html

7aQQ2Xsl.jpg

PfCM53jl.jpg

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #24 of 47
Hm, the NST-2AK interests me but:
Do we HAVE to use the included interconnect? Or can any 3.5mm to 3.5mm work?

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #26 of 47
Any 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC works. The included IC is just for connecting to the AK240 with its weird 2.5mm balanced out.

Cheers!
Upon further reading, looks like the NXT-1 is what I'd use more, since I don't have any balanced earphones/cables yet.
Time to hunt one down now..

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #27 of 47
Cheers!
Upon further reading, looks like the NXT-1 is what I'd use more, since I don't have any balanced earphones/cables yet.
Time to hunt one down now..

That makes sense; I don't use balanced either. However the NXT-2AK is the one that seems to have the international distribution - and not so broadly at that. Let us know if you track down the NXT-1.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #28 of 47
Well, I've contacted Price Japan and they've added the NXT-1 to their website.
Am wanting to pull the trigger but am not sure if it would be much better/even worse than my Pico Slim.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #29 of 47
  Usefully though, the input can be balanced or unbalanced, as well as the output, so plug-and-play with anything is very straight-forward.

Sounds ideal, wish this was also on PriceJapan.com

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #30 of 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back