Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Dec 4, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #302 of 566
Sure. I'll pm you.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #307 of 566
Amperex 7316 paired with TungSol 5687 was well with GS1K which I previously owned but K702 is much more demanding. Probably the K702 is virginily new and new some time to break in like K701. It is almost flat out using the mentioned tubes and I am waiting for the 12BH7A to drop in.

I am wondering whether the Sylvania Gold 5687GB will settle in nicely with a Amperex 7316, RCA 12BH7A or a Mullard ECC82.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #308 of 566
Yes the Gold pin Sylvania 5687's are much nicer than the Tungsol. The Tungsol makes the music VERY PUNCHY, and the GB-5687 seems to let the sound of the gain tube and the headphone come through unfettered and they are also smoother. You need to get some. This is just a guess (except for the Mullard 12AU7 and my Tungsol 12BH7A) but I am going to go ahead and say they will sound better with just about any tube you put in that rear socket. I am always excited when I get new tubes but these GB-5687's are the best vacuum tube purchase I have made and every other tube set had some kind of disproportionate flavoring of the musical spectrum, but, these GB's (Combined with my Mullard) present the music the way it was meant to be heard! Nothing about the sound draws attention to its self, rather the entire sound, top to bottom is very fluid, decay is perfect, bass is amazing, perfect combination of snappy with the correct amount of weight. Short version is lend more credibility to this post as apposed to some of my posts in the past because all this fooling around with tubes had brought me to a place I never thought I would reach before I got to this point with my amp. The GB is a serious no BS Badass MoFo. Therefore I arranged to get another set of GB's from someone on another board and they are mine and when it comes to these particular tubes, its every man for himself.
ph34r.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #310 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to the 12BH7A and is looking at Mullard now.. Checking out eBay as I am typing here.

I think you will like the Mullard with your 702s. It has excellent bass, a warm smooth midrange and a sweet upper end. I find with my 701s that it adds some much needed bass weight while adding some warmth and smoothness to the mids and highs.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #311 of 566
I would think so. Amperex 7316 is just doing fine with K702 but not Telefunken Ribbed Plates ECC82/12AU7. With 7316, it is more musical and welll redefined where else Telefunken just mixed up everything. I'm willing to try Mullard 12AU7 and GB-5687 if a can get a got deal on those tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will like the Mullard with your 702s. It has excellent bass, a warm smooth midrange and a sweet upper end. I find with my 701s that it adds some much needed bass weight while adding some warmth and smoothness to the mids and highs.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #312 of 566
Decided to try the 7316 with the Gold Pins and it sounds nice. It sounds like a real nice Solid State amp. I still prefer the Mullard with the GB's though. Might be a good combo for electronic or metal, seems a tad bit faster. Sound stage is larger with the 7316 as apposed to the Mullard. Reminds me, one thing I like about the 7316 is how 3 dimensional things are. Try out Edgar Winter "Frankenstein" and you will see what I mean, the music travels from outside your left ear and through your head and back out on the right. Then back again.
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #313 of 566
Nice discovery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decided to try the 7316 with the Gold Pins and it sounds nice. It sounds like a real nice Solid State amp. I still prefer the Mullard with the GB's though. Might be a good combo for electronic or metal, seems a tad bit faster. Sound stage is larger with the 7316 as apposed to the Mullard. Reminds me, one thing I like about the 7316 is how 3 dimensional things are. Try out Edgar Winter "Frankenstein" and you will see what I mean, the music travels from outside your left ear and through your head and back out on the right. Then back again.
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #314 of 566
Works well with Rock as well. I just need to remember that not everyone like the sound as lush as I do. This is a good combo for those people who like the large sound stage on the 701, im getting something similar on my 650's. I said similar, not close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back