Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #286 of 566
For the smooth one I think the black plate RCA is really smooth one I ever tried. Have you tried it, OutdoorXplorer?
smily_headphones1.gif

-----

forgot to mention, I think the 7316 has lower gain than those two too.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #287 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
^
^

It's too thin to me. like it gave me less dynamic than the 5963 and 12BH7A. It may good with HD650, but not my audio-technica.
frown.gif

I turned the amp on all night and started the listening session at 3pm. hope it's long enough. -_-"

lrimg4888on8.jpg

I can see why you feel this way. I consider the 7316 to be only the slightest bit warm and if you're looking for a warm/smooth sound sig with this tube, you better have a warm can paired w/ it. At first I was overwhelmed on how good the 3d imaging of this tube was but after a while, when paired w/ a fairly neutral can like the HD600, it started to slip away. I guess I'm just a "warm" sound junkie
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #289 of 566
Quote:

That can be, but I neither like the black palte RCA matched with Tung-Sol 5687 too. Too lush and smooth to my taste.
biggrin.gif

Ya know the tube rings will degrade the sound quality if your tube isn't noisy to begin with.
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #291 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya know the tube rings will degrade the sound quality if your tube isn't noisy to begin with.
wink_face.gif

With it, I found the sound is more controlled, and nothing had degraded to my ears and my friends.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #292 of 566
Will all tubes rings degrades SQ...? I am using HAL products for now.

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Mine are all ribbed plates.. Haven't got any smooth plates in my inventory. Amperex 7316 gain's is definately lower the Telefunken ECC82

Quote:

For the smooth one I think the black plate RCA is really smooth one I ever tried. Have you tried it, OutdoorXplorer?
smily_headphones1.gif

forgot to mention, I think the 7316 has lower gain than those two too.

Yes, The K702 was delivered to my doorstep by FedEx today.

Quote:

OX, do you have your 702's yet or are you waiting for them to arrive?

Quote:

^
^
^

It's too thin to me. like it gave me less dynamic than the 5963 and 12BH7A. It may good with HD650, but not my audio-technica.
frown.gif

I turned the amp on all night and started the listening session at 3pm. hope it's long enough. -_-"

lrimg4888on8.jpg

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #293 of 566
Just to reiterate, tube dampers are for reducing noise if you have a marginal tube or if the amp topology or build is very susceptible to noise. If you can turn your source off and turn the volume up most of the way (not all the way you nay sayer's) and you don't hear any noise then why would you put those things on? You want the tubes to oscillate under normal conditions, that is part of how they operate. When using the red rings you guys picture all I noticed is how the sound went from 3 dimensional to 2D and flat sounding. Can all of you honestly say you put them on there to reduce some tube noise? I doubt it. If that were the case it wouldn't be a perfectly matched set of 3, it would just be rings on the noisy tubes. I think its more of a "It looks cool thing". How could you possibly know if you like a tube when you havent used it without a tube ring? It changes the sound in a bad way when you use them unnecessarily.
rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics

"Though a guitar amplifier's microphonics distortion is sometimes appreciated as part of the "special sound" of a guitar amplifier, a faulty vacuum tube or other component can cause out of control feedback. Unwanted microphonics-related audible distortions can often be alleviated by using commercially available vacuum tube dampers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound

Do you have out of control feedback and Unwanted microphonics-related audible distortions?

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #294 of 566
It's not about degrading, but about the sound signature. To me, with rings, the sound is more controlled, and smoother. Without, is more refined. but both has no effect to sound stage as you mentioned.

just depending on how I like to listen. I don't let my tubes wear them all the time, and sometimes not I used them for all three.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #296 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Raptor back from Ray today!
smily_headphones1.gif

What did you have done?

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #298 of 566
I had the power supply upgraded to the Plitron PS. I had one of the older ones which had the temperature/hum fix on it but still the old spec PS. The new one has a Plitron transformer and feels noticeably heavier too. It's hard for me to tell what has changed since I don't have the old PS to compare to but I'm just glad I have my desktop amp back!

I spent the past 2 weeks with my Predator/HFI780 combo which was quite synergistic but boy, there is nothing like a good old home amp! I'll post impressions after I put a good amount of time listening to this again.

Olblue, that 7316 sounds pretty good! Not as laid back as my favorite Mullard but the 7316 has really sweet vocals.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #300 of 566
Yeah, I know. I am bidding on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back