Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #317 of 566
Yeah, currently listening to it. It sounded pretty flat when I was trying out with the stock cable. Switched to the Equinox cable and the outcome is more pleasant. The before and after of cable changed is quite significannt.Soundstange is wider, mids and highs are getting better after every hour of breaking in except the lows are no where near GS1K. Currently listening with Amperex 7316 and TS 5687. Awaiting for further improvement as time goes by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the 702's yet? I would be interested in how they sound with your raptor.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #318 of 566
I somehow bought these Mullards from a local buddy just to convience myself how good Mullard could sounds. Since it is a pair set [yellow labelled is smoother than the white which is stronger but slightly noisy with hums], I rolled the tubes with my favorite track "J K Drum Improvisation" by Jim Keltner. Bass is much controlled compares to Amperex 7316 and with slight gain improvement. Did tried for vocal on other favorites from Eva Cassidy's tracks and indeed vocals are significantly improved over 7316. However, the 3D impression is gone with Mullards. Instruments are much clearer and higher definitions with 7316. Mullard is the warmest sounding among the tubes that I currently have.

Still want other tubes to please myself....
beyersmile.png

outdoorxplorer-albums-tube-collections-picture1161-mullard-12au7-ecc82.jpg

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #320 of 566
ha ha... I didn't realized I missed out this until today. I have no problems driving my X-GS1K and RS1. It is as easy as driving my K702 now.

Quote:

Question for ya. Do you find the Raptor to drive your Grados just as easy as a high impedance headphone like a 650 or do you have to crank the volume more to get the Grados going?

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #322 of 566
And those aren't even NOS. I guess I should go to my storage and get out some. I have long and short plate and all types of 5814, 12BH7, and so on.

What are the heaters run at? 12.6 volts or 6.3? If 12.6 the 12FQ7 is the same as a 6SN7 but in the 9 pin tube. It can be very nice sounding but can't run at 6.3 volts.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #324 of 566
BTW guys,
How is this amp with the Grado GS1000 ?

I have both the GS1000 and the HD650

And what tubes do you recommand for a man that love a lot of BASS with a lot of "punch" and power?
And want clear height (voices, like female voices in metal), and with a wide soundstage?

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #325 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW guys,

And what tubes do you recommand for a man that love a lot of BASS with a lot of "punch" and power?
And want clear height (voices, like female voices in metal), and with a wide soundstage?

Personally, I think the soundstage differences between tubes are not all that big, some may have wider soundstages but nothing really drastically different from one another.

My personal favorite is the Mullard 12au7. Great bass, nice smooth highs but not rolled off at all. Next would probably be the Amperex 7316 with a real nice 3d soundstage and a little bit more agressive highs than the Mullard.

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #326 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW guys,

Raffy is right, the best combination of what your looking for is going to come from a Mullard. Long plates with square getter is the best you can find but they are mucho dinero. Check out 12AU7 at tubeworld.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #327 of 566
I'm messing around rolling tubes right now and I tried the Raytheon 12BH7 that I got last week. Decent sounding tube, real nice impact and crisp highs. It may be a tad too crisp but I am really sensitive to high frequencies and I am quite fatigued at the moment. I'll give this tube more time since it sounds promising.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #328 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm messing around rolling tubes right now and I tried the Raytheon 12BH7 that I got last week. Decent sounding tube, real nice impact and crisp highs. It may be a tad too crisp but I am really sensitive to high frequencies and I am quite fatigued at the moment. I'll give this tube more time since it sounds promising.

GB-5687's will fix that problem real quick. Reminds me, I need to put my matched Tung-sols up for sale. Personally I think Tungsol gets all the press because they are plentiful. Dont get me wrong, they are a big step up from the stock tubes but optimal they are not. The stock tubes sound like hell, everyone in the other Raptor threads kept saying "Rolling the front two sockets dont change the sound that much", I say that is BS. Yes the rear socket has a larger affect on sound but the fronts need to be rolled as well, if not then dont bother rolling the tubes in this amp.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #329 of 566
You are making me wanting more for a pair of GB5687....

Quote:

GB-5687's will fix that problem real quick. Reminds me, I need to put my matched Tung-sols up for sale. Personally I think Tungsol gets all the press because they are plentiful. Dont get me wrong, they are a big step up from the stock tubes but optimal they are not. The stock tubes sound like hell, everyone in the other Raptor threads kept saying "Rolling the front two sockets dont change the sound that much", I say that is BS. Yes the rear socket has a larger affect on sound but the fronts need to be rolled as well, if not then dont bother rolling the tubes in this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back