Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Dec 10, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #346 of 566
What do you mean "Mine is the nerwer version that Raffy just upgraded too"

I saw only one version on the site (The one I bought a day ago)
Not?

And is there such a thing as "to much bass" ?
I don't want bass like "water", I want something "punchy" with a lot of impact, but not to "mossy" (you know, that start and never end), I want a good precious bass.
And I want to hear vocals good and clean and clear.

Oh,
And what DAC are you using with it ?

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #347 of 566
brimar12bh7gy5.jpg

My 12BH7s,....But I think brimar's sound is too rational, and RCA(Brand sylvania) is a little robost.
L3000.gif

In this time, I still prefer Mullard 1955s and Philips Holland 1956 or 1958s....
The former brand is more smooth, and latter brand is more detail and live. They are all musical.
So..... someone regards the Ray's Tube Amp as Solid-state Sound, I think he has never heard so old tube........
k701smile.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #348 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by herroyuihk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brimar12bh7gy5.jpg

My 12BH7s,....But I think brimar's sound is too rational, and RCA(Brand sylvania) is a little robost.
L3000.gif

In this time, I still prefer Mullard 1955s and Philips Holland 1956 or 1958s....
The former brand is more smooth, and latter brand is more detail and live. They are all musical.
So..... someone regards the Ray's Tube Amp as Solid-state Sound, I think he has never heard so old tube........
k701smile.gif

Exactly. Ray has to buy crap loads of tube in bulk, all the same and they are NOS but nothing like we are talking about in this thread.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #349 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean "Mine is the nerwer version that Raffy just upgraded too"

I saw only one version on the site (The one I bought a day ago)
Not?

And is there such a thing as "to much bass" ?
I don't want bass like "water", I want something "punchy" with a lot of impact, but not to "mossy" (you know, that start and never end), I want a good precious bass.
And I want to hear vocals good and clean and clear.

Oh,
And what DAC are you using with it ?

No offense HL but I think you need to go back in this thread and read all the stuff you skipped, you can hit the mark if you pay attention to what we have learned through buying the tubes and rolling

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #350 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear that you are enjoy the amp with some tubes rolling here and there. Most of you guys are pair the Raptor with Senns but not many with AKGs I believe. Want to hear from those with K701/K702...

IMO the 701 sounds a bit thin and analytical with detailed but weak bass. I have found two tubes in the Raptor that seem to address these problems; an RCA 12BH7 and a long plate Mullard. Both of these tubes add much needed warmth along with increased bass. The RCA provides the best bass weight and a somewhat laid back presentation. Mids are very smooth and liquid and the highs are smooth but slightly rolled off. The Mullard provides a more forward presentation with less bass weight but more definition. It also has a very liquid midrange and sweet extended highs. The Mullard is definitely the brighter of the two but not harsh at all. These impressions are based on use with Tung-Sol 5687s. There is no question in my mind that the Raptor can do a very nice job with the 701 when the right tubes are used.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #351 of 566
It is good to hear that RCA 12BH7A will do a good job to K701 and perhaps K702 too. I will try out once I receive the tube from olblueyez and I will pair it with the exisiting TS5687s pending the GB5687 and Aperex PQ 7119 to be secured.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the 701 sounds a bit thin and analytical with detailed but weak bass. I have found two tubes in the Raptor that seem to address these problems; an RCA 12BH7 and a long plate Mullard. Both of these tubes add much needed warmth along with increased bass. The RCA provides the best bass weight and a somewhat laid back presentation. Mids are very smooth and liquid and the highs are smooth but slightly rolled off. The Mullard provides a more forward presentation with less bass weight but more definition. It also has a very liquid midrange and sweet extended highs. The Mullard is definitely the brighter of the two but not harsh at all. These impressions are based on use with Tung-Sol 5687s. There is no question in my mind that the Raptor can do a very nice job with the 701 when the right tubes are used.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #353 of 566
Quote:

How well does the Raptor goes with the Grado ones?
I mean low impedance ones ?

I had a HP1 for a short time w/ my Raptor and it sounded fine.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #355 of 566
Quote:

oh, so I will enjoy it with the GS1000, right? (and with the HD650) I just know that usually tubes don't get a long with low OHM headphones, not ?

The Raptor seems to have a good reputation with low ohm headphones like Grados. I believe that OutdoorXplorer has experience driving Grados with his Raptor.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #356 of 566
It currently drives RS1 and K702 and used to drive GS1K....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Raptor seems to have a good reputation with low ohm headphones like Grados. I believe that OutdoorXplorer has experience driving Grados with his Raptor.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #358 of 566
Finally got my tubes in from Vintage Tube Services. Here is what I just received:

5687's-All Matched Pairs:
Rare early 50's Tung-sols
Late 50's Raytheon Branded Tung-Sols
Sylvania Gold Brand with the gold pins
GE 5-stars

12au7:
RCA Cleartop

Was bummed b/c I was also supposed to get a Mullard 1950's long plate, but will have to wait until next weekend for that.

Will post some impressions after listening this weekend.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #359 of 566
In the original Raptor announcement thread, I think Ray mentioned there were lower-gain input tubes that could be used. What tubes would give me the lowest gain possible, or low gain balanced with sound quality?

My main solid state amp has a gain of one--really only a buffer stage. Just to let you know how much of a volume wimp I am
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #360 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the original Raptor announcement thread, I think Ray mentioned there were lower-gain input tubes that could be used. What tubes would give me the lowest gain possible, or low gain balanced with sound quality?

My main solid state amp has a gain of one--really only a buffer stage. Just to let you know how much of a volume wimp I am
biggrin.gif

I thought that the 12AU7 already has the lowest gain of the 12A series of tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back