Absolute Best Possible Headphones to Use With an iPod?
Aug 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tbo141

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hey, this is my first post to the forums as I am in the market for a new pair of "higher-end" headphones.

I purchased the Bose QC3's last week however ended up returning them immediately and couldn't justify spending $350 for headphones that were just "okay". I like the pronounced bass, but it seems a little artificial and the highs were also very weak.

I'm looking for a new pair of preferably on-ear headphones (however, if the sound quality is really worth it I would buy over-the-ear too). I want to use them as a portable solution and definitely want them to perform well without an amp. I would also prefer a closed-back design, as I am into rap/hip-hop and alternative music. However, I listen to a lot of acoustic music as well, and although open back are typically better for this, I will be living in a college dorm and cannot have that much sound leakage.

I have been looking into a few pair of Sennheisers (such as the HD 518 through 598) but thought the 10 foot long cord might be a little bit of a portability issue. Also, I tried the B&O P5's but didn't find them to have strong enough bass.

Basically, I need a pair of excellent headphones (preferably on-ear closed back) that perform well with my ipod, don't need an amp to excel, and are somewhat portable. I love crisp highs, but also need strong but not overpowering bass. While money is not really an issue, I would prefer to stay under $400. Thanks for the help.

[/size]

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Beyerdynamic T50p?

A merger between an excellent hip-hop and acoustic can is a rare thing indeed in my experience anyway.

Depends on your 'amount of bass' requirements.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 21
No real bass "requirements" just want a set with a decent range. As I said, I like the bass on the bose although they were slightly artificial, however, the bass on the P5's just weren't enough. I listen to more bass oriented music than I do acoustic so I would prefer something that favors hip-hop/rap. I read many mixed reviews on the T50's and would rather spend more money to buy a quality set of portable, yet clear and crisp cans.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
gs1000.gif
deadhorse.gif

fairy tale costumes
hippie costumes for women
halloween devil costumes

What the...

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 21
Hey buddy, I'd seriously consider getting a Ultrasone Pro 900 ($350) and a portable Cmoy Amp (fits in a Altoids tin - $30)!

You can't possibly to better with bass and it's pretty portable.

cheers!
Stefano

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:

[size=medium]
Hey, this is my first post to the forums as I am in the market for a new pair of "higher-end" headphones.

I purchased the Bose QC3's last week however ended up returning them immediately and couldn't justify spending $350 for headphones that were just "okay". I like the pronounced bass, but it seems a little artificial and the highs were also very weak.

I'm looking for a new pair of preferably on-ear headphones (however, if the sound quality is really worth it I would buy over-the-ear too). I want to use them as a portable solution and definitely want them to perform well without an amp. I would also prefer a closed-back design, as I am into rap/hip-hop and alternative music. However, I listen to a lot of acoustic music as well, and although open back are typically better for this, I will be living in a college dorm and cannot have that much sound leakage.

I have been looking into a few pair of Sennheisers (such as the HD 518 through 598) but thought the 10 foot long cord might be a little bit of a portability issue. Also, I tried the B&O P5's but didn't find them to have strong enough bass.

Basically, I need a pair of excellent headphones (preferably on-ear closed back) that perform well with my ipod, don't need an amp to excel, and are somewhat portable. I love crisp highs, but also need strong but not overpowering bass. While money is not really an issue, I would prefer to stay under $400. Thanks for the help.

[/size]

Heya,

On-ear, not a lot of requests for those. So this is easy to pretty much narrow down.

BeyerDynamic T50P @ $299 new, shipped. Get $45 off if you use the 15% discount for being a Head-Fi'er (here's the link to that discount).

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 21
I don't need an on-ear design. If the sound is that much better then I will get something that is over the ear, however since I'm using it as a portable set I don't want them to be so large where they look stupid on the street. I'm trying to find a pair of closed back audiophile headphones, but everything I seem to find have huggee earcups.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
I don't need an on-ear design. If the sound is that much better then I will get something that is over the ear, however since I'm using it as a portable set I don't want them to be so large where they look stupid on the street. I'm trying to find a pair of closed back audiophile headphones, but everything I seem to find have huggee earcups.

If you are that concerned about how you look, then perhaps you should consider (also better for in dorm living for isolation) IEM>custom molded earpieces are always going to give best isolation & sound, and do get a small amp, with rubber strap, some of the thinner/tiny amps barely add much to the package size/portability.

Do the iMod: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/glossary-of-terms

Whiplash Audio.
http://www.whiplashaudio.com/personal-players.html

Beyond your price range, but if you had $1100 to spend, you could get a new pair of Beyer T5p's, as they have perhaps the smallest over the ear cups...if you have big ears, probably won't work. Sound quality on those, is not very impressive compared to the 'looking stupid' larger/less expensive closed back Beyer 770.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 21
I was actually thinking of buying the beyer 770's however many reviews have called the bass "loose" and flimsy?

Also I can't find them any cheaper than $550 and my spending limit is under $400

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 21
For a limited time you can get 15% off via HF promotion @ http://www.headphones.com/Headphones-Over-Ear-Headphones.html?sort=PriceDesc&pi=3

Ask about some of those closed back, in your price range. Beyer 770/32ohm (no amp needed?) or 770/600ohm (amp needed), Denon 2000, etc Ultrazone?

"Best" is always relative...perhaps you like the style of an on the ear HP with real wood cups, and it's folding for portability?
http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9A-PORTABLE-WOODEN-FOLDING-STEREO-HEADPHONES-MADE-OF-AFRICAN-PADAUK-51397.html

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 21
Have done a lot of research and have it down to:

Beyerdynamic DT 770, DT 660

Shure SRH940

Ultrasone PRO 900, PRO 750, PRO 550
Ultrasone HFI 780, HFI 680

They all seem like good audiophile quality over the ear closed back headphones (with pads that aren't too large)
I'm leaning towards beyerdynamic or ultrasone but can't tell the difference between all of the ultrasone models...any suggestions?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 21
A friend of mine has the DT770s and let me tell you as far as I've heard the bass can't be beat for under 200.  My dad has those Bose QC3's that you returned and teh 770's have equivilent if not more bass, but it is of much higher quality.  Kick drums sound tight and punchy and bass lines are clear and distinct, you get none of that muddy running together of low pitches that you hear in Bose or Beats.  I would absolutely recommend getting the 770's, but they are significantly under your max price, so spendming more money could get you higher quality headphones.  I have briefly listened to the ultrasone Pro 2500's which are exactly like the Pro 900's but closed, and they sounded amazing as well.  I would say they are in general a higher quality headphone than the 770's only because they are a tier or two above.  The Beyer's are also unbelievably comfortable and the Ultrasone's are not nearly so, but they are by no means uncomfortable.  I believe ultrasone ships with two chords, one striaght and one wound like a phone chord, so that will make them a bit more portable than the Beyer's with a 10 foot cable, but my friend has just wound most of the cable into a loop and zip-tied it to make it about 3 feet.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I was actually thinking of buying the beyer 770's however many reviews have called the bass "loose" and flimsy?

Also I can't find them any cheaper than $550 and my spending limit is under $400

This past Wednesday and Thursday, these cans were on sale for $90, refurbished, direct from the distributor.  Few of the members and myself picked up a pair for the killer price.  Link is below, just keep checking, it may pop up again.

http://stores.ebay.com/beyerdynamic-USA?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back