Absolute best budget earbuds?
Aug 10, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,401 of 2,999
Anything budget with the shell of a Qian39 to come out lately which is good for listening to rock/indie/alternative? I'm saying the shell of Qian39 because I have small ears so they sit a bit better than VEMonks. Monks are comfortable but they just don't sit as tightly in my ear and the audio quality suffers as a result I guess.
Monk Lite 120 ohm awesome for slow music genres
P80811-074309-001.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #2,402 of 2,999
Guys, how bad are Sennheiser MX 170 compared to some 10-20 USD earbuds?

Also, what 10-20 USD earbuds can you recommend for metal music. Need something on the bassy side, but not too much, mids and highs are still important.

P.S. Rly need help, since I am trying to choose a present for a friend.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,403 of 2,999
Guys, how bad are Sennheiser MX 170 compared to some 10-20 USD earbuds?

Also, what 10-20 USD earbuds can you recommend for metal music. Need something on the bassy side, but not too much, mids and highs are still important.

P.S. Rly need help, since I am trying to choose a present for a friend.
For metal I can recommend seahf or TY 320 ohm. But quite expensive and need amp. However their (seahf / ty) 32 ohms are easy to drive and still sound like you describe. Ample and fast bass, crunchy mid/high. One of my favorite. I haven't tried their latest 32 ohm variant ( there's quite a few)

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #2,404 of 2,999
For metal I can recommend seahf or TY 320 ohm. But quite expensive and need amp. However their (seahf / ty) 32 ohms are easy to drive and still sound like you describe. Ample and fast bass, crunchy mid/high. One of my favorite. I haven't tried their latest 32 ohm variant ( there's quite a few)
Do you mean seahf AWK-F32T?

Its easy to find lots of well-tried and well known IEM models for any price range, but so hard to hind earbuds with any reasonable amount of reviews.

Can you comment Sennheiser MX 170, how good are they compared?

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,405 of 2,999
I enjoy the ty hi z hp150 allot with metal and most other types of music, they are a bit more then the price you asked about, but not too much over, fairly bassy good mids and the highs are not too bad at all, the monk light 120 ohms are even better with metal, but bass is a bit weak

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,406 of 2,999
Do you mean seahf AWK-F32T

Its easy to find lots of well-tried and well known IEM models for any price range, but so hard to hind earbuds with any reasonable amount of reviews.

Can you comment Sennheiser MX 170, how good are they compared?
can't compare since I don't remember how mx170 sound anymore. Maybe someone can. Ty that I mention are TY hi-z 32 .you can try search here and earbud roundup thread for review.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Jb2qaaa6

These are v2 or L shape jack. Mine is the 1st Gen straight jack. I suspect other variant are same driver with upgraded cable,but someone might chip in their opinion if they're actually different.

Someone in my country sell loads of budget earbud in his store. You could browse and in every description there's a mini review of the earbud. Might give some ideas
even if you couldn't order from him you could easily find the same stuffs in aliexpress or taobao.

https://shopee.com.my/mickeyo2

Edit. Forgot to mention that TY and seahf are 2 different company with same source / manufacturer with slightly different tuning iirc.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,408 of 2,999
I don't log into here as much anymore, but every time I lose/break my budget earbuds, I check in here to see what's new. Just wanted to check in to say thanks to the head-fi community in general for putting me onto the Monk Pluses. My fave right now; I rocked a lot of Senn MX500, and these are a much worthy (and cheaper) successor.

I also just got the Vidos, but the listing was for the non-mic version and they sent me the mic'd one. No prob, though: I just recently found an old J-corded Sony e888 that had a blown driver. Desoldered the buds and attached the Vido's on them. Notably the solder on the Vido is so heavy and gross, but the Sonys were like art. Likewise, the E888 cable is smooth and supple, with a nice branded angle plug. And then terminated on the other end with the toy-plasticky Vidos . I punched a hole in the Vido foamies to make a doughnut, but it was a bit boomy. In the box with the E888s, though, I found a package of old Radio Shack foamies, Now I've got a properly budget-classy, semi-vintage frankenstein. Sounds good so far.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,409 of 2,999
Trn V20.
With the stock cable and tips v20 sounds a bit overly bassy but if you put on MD’s $9.9 VE balanced cable and spinfit tips - my oh my, you just can’t believe the sound belongs to a pair of $15 buds. Very neutral, balanced and transparent, a bit like AK T8ie with less bass(aka more balanced). And the soundstage, positioning and separation are also excellent.
In terms of “HiFi sound”, trn v20 is doing better than the extremely popular KZs( I owned ZST, ZS6, ZS10 and ZSA).

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2,410 of 2,999
Trn V20.
With the stock cable and tips v20 sounds a bit overly bassy but if you put on MD’s $9.9 VE balanced cable and spinfit tips - my oh my, you just can’t believe the sound belongs to a pair of $15 buds. Very neutral, balanced and transparent, a bit like AK T8ie with less bass(aka more balanced). And the soundstage, positioning and separation are also excellent.
In terms of “HiFi sound”, trn v20 is doing better than the extremely popular KZs( I owned ZST, ZS6, ZS10 and ZSA).
Erm, are you in the right thread? This one is about earbuds not IEMs.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,412 of 2,999
Oops sorry I only saw the word “budget”. So please just ignore my post.
How can I migrate my post to the right thread?
I don't think you can move it but you can copy/paste it to the appropriate place.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #2,413 of 2,999
Trn V20.

That would be a good post for this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,414 of 2,999
Oops sorry I only saw the word “budget”. So please just ignore my post.
How can I migrate my post to the right thread?
It's alright.. Have you tried any earbuds yet? Why not try a few budget one like vido if you never own any in your collection it's like 4usd.

My current favorite now is 5usd Docomo earbud (with long stem). It's somehow manage to knock down many of my budget earbud when properly EQed (down some freq, not up) on term of clarity and imaging.

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #2,415 of 2,999
Thank you.
It's alright.. Have you tried any earbuds yet? Why not try a few budget one like vido if you never own any in your collection it's like 4usd.

My current favorite now is 5usd Docomo earbud (with long stem). It's somehow manage to knock down many of my budget earbud when properly EQed (down some freq, not up) on term of clarity and imaging.
Well I have Ve monk, ty hi-z32, Yuin pk2, qian 25, Qian39, mx375, mx365, omx90, sony e808, e828, pq5 (this one looks ridiculously funny but it sounds good) and BGVP dx3s (well maybe I should not call this one “budget” ‘coz it costs $40 LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back