Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,652 of 2,999
Can I ask some some of you guys time and effort.

I'd appreciate if anybody can listen to song from Libera - "Voca Me" and report the findings. Out of all my budget eardbud I own only qian39 passed this test. The test is how good can the earbud manage the intro vocals without creating some distortion / vibration in mids or upper mids frequency?

I already tried
Qian39. Almost no distort
Qian25 slight
Vido distort
Philips she3800 distort
Monk+ (don't have anymore)
TY 32 distort
TY 320ohm. Also distort

If you guys have eb200, diy pk2 or any other earbud please try.
Heard it a couple of times (link) on campfred 1 and I don't think it is distortion, I think its dissonances (some kind of interference, not sure of the term) and in the recording. I think your qian 39 fails the test:)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,653 of 2,999
Recommendation please, under $35 and needs to fit comfortably under a moto helmet (press your palm against your ear enough to bend the lobe without pressure on the bud). I prefer neutral sound and good separation, isolation is a plus.

I'm not so sure that isolation is a desirable trait in traffic.

cycle crash.jpg

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #1,654 of 2,999
I ride with earplugs on the street and track, im only using the earbuds on a dirt bike. Wind noise at speed is loud enough that you can have trouble hearing your own engine much less other cars. Tire screech yes, but your awareness shouldn't be so bad you're relying on the sound of 3000 lbs within 1 second of nailing you.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,655 of 2,999
I ride with earplugs on the street and track, im only using the earbuds on a dirt bike. Wind noise at speed is loud enough that you can have trouble hearing your own engine much less other cars. Tire screech yes, but your awareness shouldn't be so bad you're relying on the sound of 3000 lbs within 1 second of nailing you.

You are 1 in a million, maybe even higher odds

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,656 of 2,999
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,657 of 2,999

In Spain where I live it´s illegal to drive with headphones / earphones for obvious reasons, safety first Aurowave.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,658 of 2,999
In Spain where I live it´s illegal to drive with headphones / earphones for obvious reasons, safety first Aurowave.

Illegal here in where I am in Canada as well:

"Drivers who endanger others because of any distraction, including hand-held and hands-free devices, may still be charged with Careless Driving under the Highway Traffic Act or even Dangerous Driving under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Both charges carry heavy fines and penalties, if convicted, including 6 demerit points, fines of up to $2,000 and /or a jail term of six months, and up to two-year licence suspension in the case of Careless Driving. Dangerous Driving is a criminal offence and includes jail terms of up to five years."

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,659 of 2,999
Heard it a couple of times (link) on campfred 1 and I don't think it is distortion, I think its dissonances (some kind of interference, not sure of the term) and in the recording. I think your qian 39 fails the test:)
wow. Thanks. That is some response. I mean even TOTL can sound like that. Maybe i should relisten with more source and more buds / iem.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,661 of 2,999
My main concern is the capability of earbud / source managing the peaks harmonics in those chorus. I once tested the song using unknown multi BA iem and it sounded very very clean and no peaks. Probably unfair to compare it to 1k BA iem. (and I'm even comparing from memory anyway)

I just tested with my RX-1 and it sounded like my qian39.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,662 of 2,999
As I said earlier I don't ride with headphones on the street, but thanks for your concern. There is definitive info on legalities and safety out there so im not getting into that, since no one should be trusting an audio forum for that anyway.

I have been looking to at least equal the sound quality of a monoprice 8320 in a low profile form. Are there options or do I need to look at a higher price point?

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,663 of 2,999
As for helmet fit I found that

these fit: QKZ DM800 , shure SE425 , MEE audio Sport-Fi M6

don't fit: KZ ATE

I have been looking to at least equal the sound quality of a monoprice 8320 in a low profile form. Are there options or do I need to look at a higher price point?

are you sure you are looking for earbuds instead of IEMs? because you always point out to IEMs in your posts. and i think you are on the right track. on the road it is better to use IEMs, because it rejects some noise and can hold enough bass. using earbuds you will only hear trebles and no noise rejection. try micro driver IEMs with big bass, for example the MEMT X5

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,664 of 2,999
are you sure you are looking for earbuds instead of IEMs? because you always point out to IEMs in your posts. and i think you are on the right track. on the road it is better to use IEMs, because it rejects some noise and can hold enough bass. using earbuds you will only hear trebles and no noise rejection. try micro driver IEMs with big bass, for example the MEMT X5
IEM's sorry for confusion. I did try monoprice 8320 which made it painful to remove the helmet and wouldn't seal at times due to sweat. I think your right about more bass from my experience, I'll try the MEMT X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back