Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,606 of 2,999
In our everlasting hunt for the cheapest earbud that offers a good sound, sometimes you're willing to take a risk because something is just so cheap that you figure why not give it a shot. At $0.75 USD shipped, I figured I'd be willing to give https://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-...h-Line-3-5mm-Stereo-Colorful/32682034722.html a try. It just arrived so figured why not give it a listen.

The good aspects are as follows: The color options, a fun looking cable, what is most likely a unique shell design, feels relatively comfortable, vocals actually have some life in them so not dull to my ears but don't expect miracles, it's not treble heavy by any means and is most likely slightly treble shy, it's so cheap you could lose it (or choke a man to death and get rid of the evidence) and not be out any money at all.

The bad aspects are as follows: That cable's microphonic enough that I can hear the cable brush against stubble so easily you feel the desire to keep your head still, I'm fairly sure it's treble shy so some instruments didn't sound right on initial listen, it's bass is anemic nor does it respond well to a bassy EQ to the point where you can hear vibration from the shell itself due to design and not something loose inside.

It's a good listen for vocals at least, and not bad with a lot of instruments at all, so perhaps decent with orchestral/classical music. Finding anything good about a 75 cent earbud is a bonus in my book. At least then it has a use! Now I just need to find myself a sub $9 USD dap that's not horrible so I can jokingly post about my $10 USD setup. Really, it's probably not far off from the worst earbud I've heard in awhile, but I also do my best to point out the good aspects of whatever I use so I keep in mind what it's suited for. Sorry Portishead, this earbud is about as well paired to your music as going deaf. Beck however? Actually an enjoyable listen with the Sea Change album from a couple test tracks I did with it.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,607 of 2,999
In our everlasting hunt for the cheapest earbud that offers a good sound, sometimes you're willing to take a risk because something is just so cheap that you figure why not give it a shot. At $0.75 USD shipped, I figured I'd be willing to give https://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-...h-Line-3-5mm-Stereo-Colorful/32682034722.html a try. It just arrived so figured why not give it a listen.
Thank you for taking one for the team. :L3000: You've probably saved a collective $75 for all the people here.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,608 of 2,999
Could you quote the link please? If it's true, Imma buy a bunch of them for my family and students

Someone in this thread (I think), a few pages ago said "someone in my country bought many of them and sells them cheap, even cheaper than Ali, USD10 for 10 shipped". This is all the information I have

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,609 of 2,999
I bought the Vido and have been testing it for a month. When I first tried it without burn-in, it was like a cheap apple earbud. After a while the bass started to develop a bit, but the mids were totally missing.

All electronic music sounded very weird. I tried to compensate by using thicker foams (double foams) and turning up the volume which increased some bass but that was about it.

It has been very poor and I'm wondering if it is because I chose the Blue one rather than the White one which seems to be getting good reviews.

I am looking to reorder very soon, because frankly I think it must be some quality control issue. I did a search online and I believe this earbud forms part of a Vido Tablet set but there is no Cube Logo, so they might just be counterfeits or trying to pass themselves off as a from the same company.

Anyone care to explain? I know when I tried the Monks and ordered a few, they all sounded slightly different...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,610 of 2,999
I bought the Vido and have been testing it for a month. When I first tried it without burn-in, it was like a cheap apple earbud. After a while the bass started to develop a bit, but the mids were totally missing.

All electronic music sounded very weird. I tried to compensate by using thicker foams (double foams) and turning up the volume which increased some bass but that was about it.

It has been very poor and I'm wondering if it is because I chose the Blue one rather than the White one which seems to be getting good reviews.

I am looking to reorder very soon, because frankly I think it must be some quality control issue. I did a search online and I believe this earbud forms part of a Vido Tablet set but there is no Cube Logo, so they might just be counterfeits or trying to pass themselves off as a from the same company.

Anyone care to explain? I know when I tried the Monks and ordered a few, they all sounded slightly different...

Where did you get Vido from? Most (if not all) people here bought it from NiceHCK on AliX. If there's a problem, record a video and send to them, they'll send you a replacement.
The QC is an issue for these cheapos. My first mic-Vido sounds muddy and barely hearable. The non-mic replacement sound totally different, loud and clear, detailed high, ok mid and pronounced low.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,611 of 2,999

Must been a lemon pair. Vido should sound great from the start.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,612 of 2,999
Could you quote the link please? If it's true, Imma buy a bunch of them for my family and students

Someone in this thread (I think), a few pages ago said "someone in my country bought many of them and sells them cheap, even cheaper than Ali, USD10 for 10 shipped". This is all the information I have

I dont remb seeing anyone selling it for so cheap but i did mentioned it was selling at ard 1USD each shipped from taobao. Someone did mentioned a guy in the states getting a bunch of them and was selling it, but idk how much he was selling it for.

Link

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,613 of 2,999

Try it with Monk Plus foams, the thin foams.
:)

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,616 of 2,999
Vido should sound great from the start.
+100
P70627-180919-001.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,617 of 2,999
Here is my SHE3800 that I ordered from Fastech recently. Phillips is misspelled.

Does anybody have a different SHE3800? These look different than Uncle @golov17
Hi, Do not be disappointed, today I just bought 2 more and found out one is philips and one is philps, i checked both sounds and like the old i bought, same kind, no different, just Error name. (I bought in a place where they might have been in stock a few years ago)
WP_20170627_001.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #1,618 of 2,999
The EPK1 does not seem to get much attention around here so I thought I would write a few words.

I am actually quite impressed with them, signature is neutral to bright with good clarity. Bass is neutral, I am not a basshead and I find the bass quantity to be more than adequate, detailed mids (similar resolution to the **** PT15) and crisp treble.

Upper mids and treble I would classify as having some brightness to them but noticeably less bright than the **** PT15. Unless you listen at higher volumes I don't think the brightness would present a problem. Pairing the EPK1 with a warm source would not hurt either.

Soundstage has good width and depth and is airy, good instrument separation and imaging, laid-back sound.

I listen to classical and orchestral soundtracks and I feel that the EPK1 is very well suited to these genres. Overall, really good value for $20 and not a lot I can complain about.

I had EPK1 for sale on the buy/sell forum here. I decided to keep it. Good comparison to the PT15. In terms of sound, not build... they have much in common. The EPK1 has analytical sound, on the cold side. Ice cold. It's not what I'd consider to be fun or warm sounding. The mids are not recessed, and by no means full. Bass neutral like you said. Treble is precise but with no sparkle. The build is very nice. The cable and plug are worth the $20 cost. The plug is the best that I've seen in an eabud under $70 or so.

Bloody Penguin (now retired from posting here and retired from all social media) was going to post a comparison - EPK1 vs. Nicehck PK2. It would have been interesting, since the only thing they have in common is the price point. And imo the two offerings are a faceoff between the two vendors for their low impedence 'DIY' earbuds, the "banned" seller vs. Nicehck. Nicehack wins.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,619 of 2,999
After getting your valuable information from this topic, I've been testing myself with headphones + audio (I can only find and buy 3 types: Sony MDR-808 + , Philips SHE3800, VE Monks Plus) and found it interesting to listen to music and let me cure my long sleep insomnia. (I'm so caught up in all sorts of work, so it's hard to sleep). I have tried many kinds of relaxing sounds (to limit my thinking and to fall asleep), and if I go to sleep late at 1 or 2 am I sleep for only 8 hours and wake up I wake up feeling refreshed and not tired, so I pay attention to the types of sounds that help me when I hear more energy and fall asleep easily.
The following is a test on my feeling (also note that we are always dominated by the Placebo effect) - I am sorry to you because my english is not good

*** 1. MUSIC: 2017 - Future Terrain by Max Corbacho ()
Sony MDR-808+:
The bass vibrates like a distant sound on both ears and vibrates in the middle of the head, so the source of the bass sounds only in the middle of the head, making the listener notice it, Quite good but almost completely separate from the bass to make the bass more prominent, so the feeling of integration into the music is hard to relax deep.

Philips SHE3800:
The vibrating bass feels like a vibrating vibration in the chest, abdomen, back (but with energy), spreading all over space (like 3D), making the entire body vibrate. Dynamic, very good for meditation intention and subconsciously programmable, long listening, relaxing, energetic, long-range variation of long, smooth music.

VE Monks Plus:
Lack of bass, so it is actually a different sound, so it does not vibrate, it creates a feeling of music and the listeners dissolve (invisible) into the surrounding, hollow and light everywhere, the music is like without thinking, space is wide. And lightweight, dispersive thinking is very good (hard to think of something) so it's difficult to meditate purposefully but relax well but less sensory energy.

*** 2. MUSIC: 2015 - Tibetan Singing Bowls 33bowls Breathe ()
Sony MDR-808+: Feeling the bells ringing in my head and not heard for too long because of stimulation
Philips SHE3800: Feeling the ring of vibrating energy flooded the body from top to bottom gradually
VE Monks Plus: The feeling of the bell is all around and does not cause stress and actually feels like it is melting around the air

*** 3. MUSIC: 2017 - Pablo Arellano - Sacred Space Digiridu (http://www.deezer.com/album/40032831)
Sony MDR-808+: Vibrate and floating in the head
Philips SHE3800: The feeling of vibration floating everywhere, the whole body
VE Monks Plus: Feeling lightly harmonious

*** 4. MUSIC: 2016 - Humo Maya - Mayan Galactic Journeys (https://humomaya.bandcamp.com/releases)
Sony MDR-808+: I was overwhelmed by the sound
Philips SHE3800: I was swimming floating and floating between sounds
VE Monks Plus: I have the feeling that my attention to me disappears because of the sound. Maybe I think like a MONKs.

So my current choice in the order of preference is: Philips SHE3800 (for energy, sleep)>VE Monks Plus (for relax)> Sony MDR-808 + (for stimulation) and if it is upgraded to the higher level earbuds I will follow these three characteristic features.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,620 of 2,999
I had EPK1 for sale on the buy/sell forum here. I decided to keep it. Good comparison to the PT15. In terms of sound, not build... they have much in common. The EPK1 has analytical sound, on the cold side. Ice cold. It's not what I'd consider to be fun or warm sounding. The mids are not recessed, and by no means full. Bass neutral like you said. Treble is precise but with no sparkle. The build is very nice. The cable and plug are worth the $20 cost. The plug is the best that I've seen in an eabud under $70 or so.

Bloody Penguin (now retired from posting here and retired from all social media) was going to post a comparison - EPK1 vs. Nicehck PK2. It would have been interesting, since the only thing they have in common is the price point. And imo the two offerings are a faceoff between the two vendors for their low impedence 'DIY' earbuds, the "banned" seller vs. Nicehck. Nicehack wins.

What happened? Bloody Penguin was a true asset to all of us, sad day if he actually decides to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back