Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,591 of 2,999
It is very easy to do, especially if you are buying a premade replacement cable since the jack will already be soldered for you. There are tons of replacement cables with mic on aliexpress. The only tools which are absolutely necessary are a soldering iron, and solder, however a soldering clamp stand such as this, as well as a multimeter could be helpful. Earbud shells are usually easy to open. The SHE3800 opens easily with a fingernail. Here is a video of a guy recabling a Vido.
Oh. So SHE3800 shell ca be opened with nails only? I must try this. But is Shouldering is must? Also, what difference it makes if Cable is changed and better quality cable is used? Hope that will not spoil the warmness and boominess of SHE3800.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,592 of 2,999
Oh. So SHE3800 shell ca be opened with nails only? I must try this. But is Shouldering is must? Also, what difference it makes if Cable is changed and better quality cable is used? Hope that will not spoil the warmness and boominess of SHE3800.
Yep nails only was no problem for me. Soldering is absolutely a must, this is how the wires attach to the driver. A better quality cable will have no audible effect in my opinion but others may disagree. I think its safe to say it won't spoil the sound.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,593 of 2,999
Yep nails only was no problem for me. Soldering is absolutely a must, this is how the wires attach to the driver. A better quality cable will have no audible effect in my opinion but others may disagree. I think its safe to say it won't spoil the sound.
Ok. So once I am able to open it with nails I can put the shell back only if I do Shouldering? Is it so?

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,594 of 2,999
Another thing is, if I use cable which comes with Mic, will that make it HE3800 with Mic or not? I doubt actually.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,596 of 2,999
Another thing is, if I use cable which comes with Mic, will that make it HE3800 with Mic or not? I doubt actually.

Yes if you buy a cable with a mic and solder it to your drivers you will end up with a SHE3800 with mic. If you open the shells you will be able to close them again no problem, unless you accidentally break a solder connection while opening the shell. Watch the video I linked you to earlier. The guy recables a Vido and you can see this clearly. If you are still lost then as KookaBurra suggested, try googling soldering tutorials, headphone recabling, etc.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #1,597 of 2,999
Zen 2 isn't what I'd call a bassy earbud. Now as far as high end and mic goes, you'll need to go for ones with a detachable cable or a custom order. Mojito & Masya would be easily driven, but use a non-standard 2-pin type, so finding a mic cable might be difficult. While the bass on these two is satisfying, it won't be enough for the task. Most phones would be incapable of properly driving Yinman 600, plus that is by no means bassy either, even less so than Mojito & Masya. This would leave custom work, but you won't know if it's tuned bassy enough until it's received.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,598 of 2,999
Yes if you buy a cable with a mic and solder it to your drivers you will end up with a SHE3800 with mic. If you open the shells you will be able to close them again no problem, unless you accidentally break a solder connection while opening the shell. Watch the video I linked you to earlier. The guy recables a Vido and you can see this clearly. If you are still lost then as KookaBurra suggested, try googling soldering tutorials, headphone recabling, etc.
Looks like Vido is still fine as only in one particular song, it is sounding muddy and like broken speaker which has strong boomy noise. Same I felt with SHE3800 also but yesterday I opened the left speaker of 3800 and then put it back so not sure if some issue with that. Just open to see inside. I also feel that when I adjust 3.5mm jack pin or cable near the jack pin of 3800, both speakers work but when I leave it, it stopped working. So I feel replacing the jack pin might work as well.

However, with Elecom earbuds, that broken sound in the song is not there. May be because Elecom does not have enough Bass to sound like that.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,602 of 2,999
I don't agree that the SHE3800 has "good drivers", whatever that means. As someone mentioned, they are very "filigrane", very thin, very sensitive to touch. And the batch of SHE3800 with the misspelled "PHILPS" on the earbuds themselves has a habit to relatively easy dislodge the membrane and then the buds are toast. When an earbud lasts only 8 days and then "blows" because of a dislodged membrane, I can't call these drivers "good". (On the other hand, it can be this issue is only with the current bad batch that FT sent out about a month ago). All I can say my fun with the SHE3800, although fantastic sound out of the box, lasted only 8 days. Both are blown now.
I also don't consider these I had easy to mod, not just because of the very fine and sensitive membrane. They're also not very easy to open and there is a good chance you crack something when you open them because they're glued.

By the way who is selling 10x vidos for $10 shipped? This is crazy!!

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,603 of 2,999
I don't agree that the SHE3800 has "good drivers", whatever that means. As someone mentioned, they are very "filigrane", very thin, very sensitive to touch. And the batch of SHE3800 with the misspelled "PHILPS" on the earbuds themselves has a habit to relatively easy dislodge the membrane and then the buds are toast. When an earbud lasts only 8 days and then "blows" because of a dislodged membrane, I can't call these drivers "good". (On the other hand, it can be this issue is only with the current bad batch that FT sent out about a month ago). All I can say my fun with the SHE3800, although fantastic sound out of the box, lasted only 8 days. Both are blown now.
I also don't consider these I had easy to mod, not just because of the very fine and sensitive membrane. They're also not very easy to open and there is a good chance you crack something when you open them because they're glued.

By the way who is selling 10x vidos for $10 shipped? This is crazy!!
Did you hear any other earbud which is 1:1 sound signature like SHE3800? Especially with Mic?

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,605 of 2,999
The EPK1 does not seem to get much attention around here so I thought I would write a few words.

I am actually quite impressed with them, signature is neutral to bright with good clarity. Bass is neutral, I am not a basshead and I find the bass quantity to be more than adequate, detailed mids (similar resolution to the **** PT15) and crisp treble.

Upper mids and treble I would classify as having some brightness to them but noticeably less bright than the **** PT15. Unless you listen at higher volumes I don't think the brightness would present a problem. Pairing the EPK1 with a warm source would not hurt either.

Soundstage has good width and depth and is airy, good instrument separation and imaging, laid-back sound.

I listen to classical and orchestral soundtracks and I feel that the EPK1 is very well suited to these genres. Overall, really good value for $20 and not a lot I can complain about.
Epk1 lover here. It's really nice one though I read some find it dull sound with ok soundstage. It's not a fun sound for sure. I do enjoy them a lot and I can have nice balanced sound with quality bass on the phone using viper4android. It also scale nicely and benefits from power with source like the zishan z1. Always in my bag, it's my backup pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back