Above & Beyond, FiiO 2019 Spring Launch Event, March 16, Music Player, Amplifier, Earphones, Accessories
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #332 of 460
I hope it doesn't take forever to see impressions and reviews of these products once available and I really hope we see some good Q5 vs Q5s and Q5s vs M11 comparisons as those are the products I'll be deciding between.

*sigh*. 8 months of research between Cowon, FiiO, A&K, and DAC vs DAPs only to end up with the Q5 and return it two weeks later. :frowning2: Still, it's an exciting problem to have. :slight_smile:

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #333 of 460
At nearly over four and a quarter times the price, I doubt they are that many times better in sound reproduction.

I applaud Campfire Audio and wish I could afford their fine products and skilled workers who make them. As a former Union Journeyman Mechanic I used Snap-on and Mac Tools, but I could have easily used Sears Craftsman tools as well. :)

Have you heard the Andromedas?

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #334 of 460
@FiiO - Quick question about the Q5s, specifically about the included amplifier module. Are there any sonic differences/improvements with the new AM3E over the older AM3A, or is it just the addition of a 4.4mm balanced connector? I see all of the specs about the Q5s itself, but nothing really about the AM3E. Something tells me I will end up with the AM3D THX module regardless, but I was just curious.

I was just about to purchase a Q5 after hearing one for the first time last week, but I will definitely be holding off until the Q5s is out. The newer Bluetooth standards and other upgrades definitely make it worth the wait for me. Nice job guys!

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #335 of 460
I mention it because people had been saying that the FH5 sounded as good as earphones that cost $1,000 or more, and I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration.
Well it is and it isn't. From what I've read the FH5 easily rivals the Andromeda in bass impact and has a wider stage. If any of those qualities are important to you, then it's a consideration. And I'm sure there are many $1000+ IEMs that the FH5 'betters'. All depends what you're after.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #336 of 460
I had actually purchased a Q5 two weeks ago. I was at the very end of my Amazon return period so I've initiated that. I'll wait to see comparisons between the Q5s and the M11. Originally I was stacking a Q5 with an iPod touch so that I got the super iOS UX and could sync with my playlists in iTunes. The M11 will have to be VERY good to get me to give up my iTunes organization.

You can still use iTunes to organize your music and then export playlists from iTunes and import them into the M11. This can be done manually or with the help of an app such as Dapper. I've never used it since I decided to go with a Q5 and iPhone, but it lists several FiiO DAPs as tested/compatible and seems to have support for Android based devices in general.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #337 of 460
Would be very interesting to see comparisons between the M11 and X5III but also to R6. Mostly UI experience and sound signature.
I like the X5III sound way better than X7II (personally), so hopefully M11 is more like the smoothness of X5III...

Also, Android 7.x is a bad choice, IMHO. For a new product, why release with OS that is 2 generations back?!
I know optimizing it to DAP takes time, but Android 8 has been out for a very long time now (more than a year).

So, if M11 sound signature is similar to X5III and FiiO releases upgrade to latest Android - this beauty is gonna be a winner!

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #338 of 460
Well it is and it isn't. From what I've read the FH5 easily rivals the Andromeda in bass impact and has a wider stage. If any of those qualities are important to you, then it's a consideration. And I'm sure there are many $1000+ IEMs that the FH5 'betters'. All depends what you're after.
Sorry did you say Andros bass impact?

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #339 of 460
Sorry did you say Andros bass impact?
Compared to the FH5. I stand to be corrected, this is via friends and peers that have used both. Not talking about bass quality or resolution, just impact, and specifically sub-bass, for which the FH5 is superb. Don’t get me wrong here, if I were to upgrade the FH5, the Andros are currently top of my list, although I would prefer an IEM with a dynamic driver.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #340 of 460
@FiiO - Quick question about the Q5s, specifically about the included amplifier module. Are there any sonic differences/improvements with the new AM3E over the older AM3A, or is it just the addition of a 4.4mm balanced connector? I see all of the specs about the Q5s itself, but nothing really about the AM3E. Something tells me I will end up with the AM3D THX module regardless, but I was just curious.

I was just about to purchase a Q5 after hearing one for the first time last week, but I will definitely be holding off until the Q5s is out. The newer Bluetooth standards and other upgrades definitely make it worth the wait for me. Nice job guys!

That is definitely on my mind as well. Didn't see any specs whatsoever. Curious to learn more about the AM3E, AM3D is on my wishlist already though.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #341 of 460
Compared to the FH5. I stand to be corrected, this is via friends and peers that have used both. Not talking about bass quality or resolution, just impact, and specifically sub-bass, for which the FH5 is superb. Don’t get me wrong here, if I were to upgrade the FH5, the Andros are currently top of my list, although I would prefer an IEM with a dynamic driver.
I have used FH5, Andromeda, Ibasso It01, CTM DA Vinci X, Ibasso IT04
FH5 would score only 20 out of 100. Where Andromeda 80 out of 100. For higher frequency part FH5 should get a big Zero yes Zero. For soundstage it should get minus 10. Bass is slow like hell in FH5 too.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #342 of 460
FH5 would score only 20 out of 100. Where Andromeda 80 out of 100. For higher frequency part FH5 should get a big Zero yes Zero. For soundstage it should get minus 10. Bass is slow like hell in FH5 too.
Where do you rank the ibasso it04

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #343 of 460
That’s an unfortunate experience for you I guess. The FH5 is very fit-specific; it either fits or it doesn’t, and it sometimes takes trying many different tips and sizes to get the fit just right because of it’s shallow insert nozzle. Without a proper fit, the sound is very much like you describe. Once you get the right fit, it’s transformed. I guess you didn’t have the patience to get a proper fit, otherwise your impressions would no doubt be very different. To date it’s easily the best of the mid-tier IEMs I’ve used, and one I prefer to the well-reviewed MD Plus and Fiio’s FA7.

I doubt I’d be getting much more from the Andromeda than pure refinement and some extra resolution, but I’ll also be losing some of the characteristics I love in the FH5. That extra refinement and clarity is what you pay a premium for, and at 4x the price of the FH5, that’s a massive premium, especially for an IEM.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #344 of 460
Where do you rank the ibasso it04
Ibasso it04 maybe 50 out of 100 but its not like my taste.
That’s an unfortunate experience for you I guess. The FH5 is very fit-specific; it either fits or it doesn’t, and it sometimes takes trying many different tips and sizes to get the fit just right because of it’s shallow insert nozzle. Without a proper fit, the sound is very much like you describe. Once you get the right fit, it’s transformed. I guess you didn’t have the patience to get a proper fit, otherwise your impressions would no doubt be very different. To date it’s easily the best of the mid-tier IEMs I’ve used, and one I prefer to the well-reviewed MD Plus and Fiio’s FA7.

I doubt I’d be getting much more from the Andromeda than pure refinement and some extra resolution, but I’ll also be losing some of the characteristics I love in the FH5. That extra refinement and clarity is what you pay a premium for, and at 4x the price of the FH5, that’s a massive premium, especially for an IEM.
Big, small, double, tripple, foam, hybrid all tips tried with better fit. Sorry nothing special in FH5. You don't have to spend much just grab a ibasso IT01 and its miles ahead than Fh5. Fh5 is best till now from Fiio but average in comparison with other IEMS.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #345 of 460
Android DAPs are WAYYYYYYY better than non-Android ones. I honestly do not understand why people would even buy non-Android DAPs. Having Tidal offline is simply the best solution to music, yet people pretend it's somehow not important! It's truly the emperor's new clothes! Go Fiio!

Because Tidal does not have the music I want to listen to? lol when is Tidal ever a solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back