Above & Beyond, FiiO 2019 Spring Launch Event, March 16, Music Player, Amplifier, Earphones, Accessories
Mar 16, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #301 of 460
I look forward to hearing comparisons of the Q5 and Q5s. I bought a Q5 only a few months ago, and I'm not sure the Q5s adds many new capabilities I'd benefit from. I'm using my Q5 with an iPhone, so the new Bluetooth codecs aren't of use. And the higher bitrates aren't of use for me either. Maybe the DAC is slightly improved, though I imagine it would be hard to hear the difference.
I am in a similar position, I do have an interest in the new module with both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs.

I use as one of my headphones the sony mdr-1am2 and would like to use the stock balanced cable which is 4.4mm without with out a 2.5mm to 4.4mm connecting cable. I tried in December to order am3b amp but was told in January it was not available. I understand now the reason.

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #302 of 460
Memory is cheap. Personally I use the internal memory on the X7ii all the time. The 64Gb is ok on the X7ii - but not enough. And choice between internal and external, I’ll take the internal all day everyday (faster access etc). With more people streaming and saving to off-line storage, I’d have thought it an obvious selling point. Personally I’d pay $50-100 more to have that option. I mean, think of same player with 256Gb internal at $100 more RRP. I’d be all over that.

And I usually only ever use 1 slot - but don’t mind having 2 - even if I don’t use it .......

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #305 of 460
Memory is cheap. Personally I use the internal memory on the X7ii all the time. The 64Gb is ok on the X7ii - but not enough. And choice between internal and external, I’ll take the internal all day everyday (faster access etc). With more people streaming and saving to off-line storage, I’d have thought it an obvious selling point. Personally I’d pay $50-100 more to have that option. I mean, think of same player with 256Gb internal at $100 more RRP. I’d be all over that.

And I usually only ever use 1 slot - but don’t mind having 2 - even if I don’t use it .......
Brooko - IMHO, built-in memory is only relevant in entry-level DAPs (like the M3K for example). 32GB there, could be all whoever buys it uses, and never puts a memory card inside at all...
I see that you are using the built-in storage in your X7ii - but I think you're the exception to the rule in this case.

Bottom line: I would rather have zero built-in storage in M11 for $20 lower price. If I get it - I would put minimum 200GB card in anyhow! (more likely 2 x 400GB :wink:)

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #307 of 460
I find it strange that Q5s doesn't have USB-C while M11 does have USB-C, the argument about Apple is not valid at all?

Q5s is designed to use another device as the source of the file and they have gone to the bother of getting Apple certification to ensure it is marketable to iPhone users.
M11 is a stand alone DAP which may be used as a DAC but will, in most cases, be used in isolation.

Two very different use cases resulting in a different design brief for each one.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #308 of 460
Brooko - IMHO, built-in memory is only relevant in entry-level DAPs (like the M3K for example). 32GB there, could be all whoever buys it uses, and never puts a memory card inside at all...
I see that you are using the built-in storage in your X7ii - but I think you're the exception to the rule in this case.

Bottom line: I would rather have zero built-in storage in M11 for $20 lower price. If I get it - I would put minimum 200GB card in anyhow! (more likely 2 x 400GB :wink:)
That’s the point though. I don’t use the 32Gb on the x5iii because it’s too small - even for an entry level. I do use the 64 Gb on the X7ii, and I would definitely regard more on an M11 as a feature I’d pay more for. Maybe room for FiiO to possibly have an alternative to fill a niche ... ?

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #309 of 460

Not true though. A&K models come with at least 64gb internal, i had the Kann and had it. I think it helps, but could be pointless if you hi-res files then you can only fill like 10 albums or so.

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #310 of 460
That’s the point though. I don’t use the 32Gb on the x5iii because it’s too small - even for an entry level. I do use the 64 Gb on the X7ii, and I would definitely regard more on an M11 as a feature I’d pay more for. Maybe room for FiiO to possibly have an alternative to fill a niche ... ?
The M11 is not the flagship, that’ll come later this year, and I won’t be surprised if it has a 128GB option. Personally 32GB is plenty, because I would never load my own files to onboard memory, but it’s useful for Tidal offline when traveling. With two SD slots I’ll now never run out of space, even for the longest trips. When at home, I use DLNA to connect to my Plex library, but mainly use the desktop rig.

I think the flagship - with flagship price tag - will have all the nice-to-haves, like extended memory, full Android support and possibly even amp modules. For me the M11 is what I wanted the M9 to be, and I would have paid $450 to have the features of the M11 when I bought the M9.

My only three (little) gripes with yesterday’s ‘event’ is 1) why no AAC support when even the tiny M5 has it? 2) why no true BTR3 upgrade with balanced out? And 3) why announce products in early March that’ll only release in June/July?

I guess the mid/high roadmap is now clear, leaving the guys that want ‘more’ to wait for the flagship announcements if and when they arrive.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #312 of 460
Android DAPs are WAYYYYYYY better than non-Android ones. I honestly do not understand why people would even buy non-Android DAPs. Having Tidal offline is simply the best solution to music, yet people pretend it's somehow not important! It's truly the emperor's new clothes! Go Fiio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back