AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #136 of 212
Honestly, given what you described, it is probably not going to be an upgrade. I tried it with TFZ EX5s from Massdrop (around $68) and there is a definite hiss. If you listen to noisy music loud you may not care, but I don't so I'm less than enamored with these. The accessport is a better way to go.

If you want to have an improved DAC/amp and not a lot of stuff to carry, the accessport would be a better choice. It is a very small dongle, not much bigger than the apple camera kit, that you can plug your iems into. This is what I do at work.

At home (if not using full sized cans), I use the apple camera kit to an external DAC/amp.

So no, I don't think the Capri is for you. And it may not be for me either unless I get some IEMS with 2 pin detachable cables that I love........

If you are curious and in the US I will send you the Capri to try. Then you cen decide and let us know what you found. (I bought 2).
I think the main reason capri attracted to me was the form factor, cable/dac/mic in one box (no dongle which i don't like). I don't use iphone much for music nowadays. Was thinking if i could make it more useful somehow lol. I don't think it's worth it unless im stuck on iphone 7.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #141 of 212
I became interested in high-end audio in the 80s when I was twenty-something. Back then there were primarily two schools of thought on audio equipment: The first group claimed that you can tell how a product sounded simply by looking at scientific measurements. Most equipment sounds the same (at least within a specific price category) and differed only in features (Audio, Consumer Reports, High Fidelity, Stereo Review) VERSUS the Second group who claimed that they were inherent differences in ALL audio products. Products with the same exact measurements and specs will indeed sound different. In addition, there are internal and external variables (room placement, source, cables, materials, associated equipment, etc) that will affect how a product sounds. The best way to determine how a product sounds is by personally listening to it within the environment of intended use (Absolute Sound, Stereophile) . Since I heard differences (good or bad or just different) in audio products, I went down the latter path, but I remained cognisant of the Law of Diminishing Returns, perceived differences, the psychological effect of auditioning a $20K amp, and High--End Audiobabble. Nothing fancy but my Adcom, California Audio Labs, and Vandersteen kit was far more satisfying than the typical equipment found at the local consumer electronics emporium.

Specific to the AAW Capri DAC Cable, I offered my mini review earlier earlier in this thread. To my ears and musical tastes, using the iPhone 6S Plus as a source, I found the Shure LTG better than the Capri which I turn I found better than the stock Shure cable that came with my 846s. I discussed what types of music I listened to (EDM, Alternative, and Adult) soundstage, hiss, bass, etc. Choices in all-in-one cables with built-in DACs, iPhone compatibility, and Apple MFI Certified Lightning connectors are very limited. So from my perspective, the Shure LTG provided me a real world solution to my commuting needs. If extracting the absolute best possible sound from the iPhone is your goal, you can only do so by using an external amp/DAC.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #144 of 212
so i got my capri cable is the output power lower than using the dongle of iphone as that is what i am experiencing with my iems

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #146 of 212
AAW claims that the Capri’s “[balanced] DAC/HPA offers differential audio signal with up to 128mw output power to feed the most demanding earphones”. You need to be an Apple MFI Developer https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/ to find exact specifications of their dongle. Since ‘power output’ is analogous to an audio amplifier’s wattage, I can tell you from my experience the Capri does not subjectively play louder or softer than when using my Shure 846s with the dongle. The Capri’s do, however, play much softer compared to the 846s used with the Shure LTG iPhone DAC Cable. The Shure’s also deplete the iPhones battery even more rapidly than the Capri’s claimed two percent per hour.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #147 of 212
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #148 of 212
64audio u8

Thanks. That one is specced at 18 Ohm and 117 dB, so pretty normal for a good IEM. Let's reverse calculate the Capri's (IMHO not measured, but amateurishly copied from the DAC's data sheet) tech specs:

>Maximum Power Output 128mW @ 16 Ohms<

That translates into +5.33 dBu, +3.1 dBV or 1.43 V rms and 4.05 V peak to peak.

An iPhone has a typical output level of +2 dBu. Unfortunately 3 dB more level is nearly like nothing. 6 dB is ok, 10 dB is called 'double loudness'.

The Capri cable should be most useful for european iPhone owners, as Apple restricted those to output only -2.8 dBu, so these people gain 8 dB on max level - pretty nice...unless the same limit that already hits the Apple dongle is also affecting the Capri...which may well be the case...

Note that I did not yet receive my Capri cable. Once I have it I will measure it in all detail. Then we'll know the whole truth.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #150 of 212
Does this work with iPad? For me it is showing as unrecognized. I download the app, and then the music plays from the iPad speaker. Help!

Capri works with my iPad Pro 10.5. However, the hiss issue still is present.
I did not download the Capri app on my iPad because I already have it installed on my iPhone.
My Capri firmware is 2.1.9
FWIW, the Fiio i1 also works with my iPad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back