A speaker enthusiast looking for advice on 'phones... with a penchant for ridiculously long posts.
Jul 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

BlackbeardBen

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there!  I'm a long-time lurker that finally decided to register, since I think I may be gravitating towards my first serious headphone setup.

I know you probably see these threads all the time - in fact I see two other similar ones on the first page of this section right now.  I admit, on Flickr I'm even in a group that lambasts these kind of threads as lazy on the part of the OP.  So, I'll at least try to do you the favor of telling you about my specific situation and needs, which is one of those key mistakes that noobies tend to make on forums when asking for advice.

So I'm a high-end speaker addict.  Well, as much as a college student tens of thousands in debt can be.  My main system consists of a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90's, the bottom driven by an Adcom GFA-555 and the top by a Carver TFM-15CB.  My preamp is a Carver C-11, and my main source is an NAD 5325 CD player with upgraded caps.  Total retail new in the early 90's was in the neighborhood of $7000 - but I paid just under $1100 for everything.  I did have to drive from Michigan to Virginia to pick up just the speakers, but it was worth it.

The Renaissance 90's (I shorten it to "R90's") are awesome speakers.  If you're not familiar with high-end Infinity speakers from the 70's and 80's, they were known for their superb but fragile and power hungry EMIT and EMIM planar tweeters and midranges - and extremely hard to drive dual voice coil Watkins woofers.  The Renaissance 90's (from 1992) have updated versions of all of these, including a carbon fiber coned mid-bass coupler and similarly coned Watkins (dual coil) woofer.  They're a bit more compact than the older, bigger Infinities - but they're still very hard to drive (hence biamping them with almost 500wpc) and still sound quite incredible.  The Adcom and Carver together run them quite well - the woofers drop down to around 1 ohm, which is no trouble for the current-happy Adcom, and the Carver with its slightly warm, tube-esque (but detailed) sound works very well with the notorious EMIT and EMIM.  Of course, I'd like to get a McIntosh or two to drive them (the separate gain control for the woofer and mids/high is important) - but given my financial situation right now that is impossible.

The R90's in my system are really sweet sounding - mids and highs are very, very smooth and natural sounding.  I've got some other Infinities with the EMIT tweeter and they're similar in this respect, but the EMIM in the R90's makes all the difference for vocals and instruments.  Brass - and trombone in particular - sounds like nothing else I've heard.  The 6" mid-bass coupler is extremely well integrated with the EMIM and the woofer - it never sticks out as a separate driver.  Finally, the 10" Watkins woofer on the bottom is extremely tight and articulated - but never excessive.  There's no boomy bass from these speakers - just accurate, effortless, and natural bass.  Compared to anything else I've heard (various older Infinities, Klipsch, Polk, Mirage, & more), these are something special.

The real treat of the speakers is the soundstage - even compared the the Infinity Kappa 8's I had before, these are far and away the best I've heard.  On good recordings, I'm enveloped with sound and they just disappear from the room.  Vocalists, instruments, etc. have a sense of depth in the soundstage, sounding as if they are on stage 25 feet in front of me.  Side-to-side placement is excellent and precisely locating individual sounds from left to right on stage is easy - although I have to admit that with just the Adcom (no biaming), individual voices/instruments had a laser pinpoint location to them that the Carver doesn't quite give.  The soundstage is extremely wide, however - often, instruments will sound as if they are coming from beyond the speakers left or right, which is amazing.  Crowd noises, choirs, and general ambient synthesizers fill the room with sound coming from all directions as in a real venue.  I even get a sense of the size of the recording space - from large halls to tiny clubs, the ambience (whether real or artificial) of the room is apparent.

"Enough of this rambling on about your speakers," I can imagine you're thinking.  How does this pertain to head-fi and full size headphones?  Well, I'll get to that in a minute.

So what I like about the R90's the most is the very detailed yet extremely smooth mids and highs from the EMIT and EMIM drivers.  I like the tight, well defined but not overpowering bass (although yes, with something like a 1" excursion capability they are capable of putting all but the best subs to shame in terms of output).  Infinities are noted as generally (and these are no exception) being very neutral speakers that can sound harsh with poor solid state amplification for the EMIT and EMIM drivers.  They're especially unforgiving of poorly mastered and overcompressed recordings if they aren't tamed correctly.  Between the Carver amp/preamp and NAD CD player, the R90's lean just slightly warm, and they're so smooth that I can listen for extended periods at dangerously high volumes without fatigue.  I'm actually worried about my hearing because they sound so smooth at higher volumes that I'm afraid I won't realize I'm actually damaging my hearing.  Anyway, IMO they are very revealing without making bad recordings unlistenable - something that is hard to avoid with such detailed highs.

So what I'm trying to get at is that I'm going to Sweden this August for graduate school - and I of course won't be able to take my system.

I've looked at smaller computer monitors - like the Audioengine A2 and M-Audio AV 40, but even the A2's are awfully big for me to take with me.  I don't think the sound quality would be up to par for me either, and the voltage difference of line power is another problem.

Right now I have a pair of Shure E2c IEM's and Goldring DR100 open 'phones.  I like the Shures for the noise isolation (plane rides in particular), but they're too bright for my tastes and get uncomfortable after a while.  The soundstage is pitiful, and they're nowhere near as detailed as my system.

The Goldrings are very comfortable and have an excellent tonal balance.  They're my first open-style headphones, and I like them quite a bit.  They're a little more detailed thank the Shures, and the soundstage is of course much better.  They still pale in comparison to my speakers, however.  The soundstage is compressed, and I don't think I'll ever like the majority of the instruments/vocals/etc. in music coming from anywhere except in front of me, where a band would be.  The noise floor is much higher than the speakers, and the dynamic range is less than I hoped for.  Mids are the high point of the phones, although they are of course no where near as good as the R90's.  Bass is well controlled, fairly natural and in decent quantity - but again far short of the speakers.  Highs are very grainy compared to the R90's - they're harsh instead of smooth, and the level of detail just isn't there.  It really makes a difference in the ambience and sense of depth of the recording.  I get the impression that that is what reviewers call "air" - although I am always skeptical when it comes to audiophile jargon, especially as it can be applied to snake oil.  The guy that sold me the Adcom claimed to have developed this liquid you'd spray on your CDs to remove the static, and that it really helped smooth out the sound.  Yeah, right...  Anyway, for $53 shipped (closeout from Audio Adviser on Amazon, usually $100), they are certainly among the best sub-$100 phones.

You're probably wondering what I use to power them...  Well, wonder no more.  My normal portable source is a Sony D-NE300 CD player, which was sufficiently powerful for the Shures but is definitely nowhere near enough for the Goldrings.  Dynamic range suffers with them, and as soon as the volume level goes up above normal listening levels in a quiet room (something that happens a lot with limited dynamic range), the Sony starts clipping.

Th Sony definitely doesn't do them justice, of course.  To hear what the Goldrings are really capable of, I run them on the headphone out of the Carver pre.  The dynamic range and noise floor is better than with the Sony, and of course clipping isn't a problem.  They still aren't anywhere near being in the same league as the R90's, but they go from being excellent headphones for the price to even better.  The grain/harshness of the highs still bugs me enough to want to seek something better, however.  Now there are certainly better headphone amps out there, but the Carver is so good with the super-revealing R90's that I am sure that the headphones are the major limiting factor at this point.

Let me get my budget out of the way now - I'm hoping to spend under $400, but I really want to get as close as I can to the level of sound that my main system puts out without breaking the bank.  Whatever headphones/amp/DAC I end up getting will be my main system for a year, so I want it to be as good as I can get.

While I'm in Sweden, I expect to spend most of my listening time with my laptop (just ordered a Lenovo T510 and waiting for it to come) or netbook as the source.  I've got around 500 CDs right now, and I'll probably be ripping them to FLAC files for the trip since it's not really practical to bring everything I'll want to listen to for a year.  I usually listen while studying or doing work at a desk or table, but I almost never listen while walking/riding/etc. except on plane rides.  I do move around and would like to listen at different locations, but on-the-go usability is less of a concern.

So that's what lead me to think that my laptop & netbook should be my primary source.  I think I may want a more portable source as well, so I'm looking at the well regarded Sansa Clip for when I don't have the space to take my computer.

Of course, I wouldn't plan on using anything straight out of the line out/headphone jack of my computer.  Right now I think I'm going to get the FiiO E5 for the Goldrings, which ought to go well with my Sony cdp or the Sansa I may get.  I'll definitely want a USB DAC for my laptop, however.  Right now the E-Mu 0202 is most attractive to me, especially since it is USB powered.  Running off of the computer power is important to keep the number of power adapters I have to a minimum.  The price certainly helps as well.

Other options I'm looking at are the FiiO E7 and NuForce Icon Mobile  I'm not really sure which style would suit me better - the computer-dedicated DAC with a line-out for speakers and an ADC for recording or the battery powered DAC with a line-in socket for portable players.  Better sound quality (through the DAC) is probably enough to tip the balance.

So lastly, I've got the headphones.  To be honest, my experience with speakers is that you choose your speakers first and then get an amp, preamp, and source to match them.  They're far and away the most important part of the system and have the biggest influence on the sound - but if you don't give them the right quantity and quality of power you're obviously short changing them.

That said, I'm giving a long, hard look at the Sennheiser HD 600's (or maybe the cheaper and easier to drive 595's).  The 600's reputation for an excellent soundstage and laid-back but still detailed sound is exactly what I'm looking for.  The 0202 should have plenty of power and from all reports appears to be a pretty good DAC as well.  The two would also be well within my budget - with the 600's available for under $300 and the 0202 under $100.  In a pinch, the FiiO E5 I'm already ordering ought to be able to drive the 600's, although I plan on keeping the Goldrings around for that since the E5 is far from an ideal amp for large, high impedance headphones.

So I'm open and looking for suggestions regarding phones/amps/DAC's.  Over-the-ear open phones are pretty much a requirement - I don't find on-the-ear phones like Grados to be comfortable for very long.  The amp and DAC ought to be sufficiently portable and powered off of USB or batteries so that I can use them untethered and internationally without issue.

Am I on the right track?  I know some emphasize source first, then amp and finally phones - but like I said that's not really my experience with stereo systems.

Oh, and one more thing.  If you actually read my whole post - thank you.  I know it's super long, but I appreciate the help and reading something so long takes a fair amount of dedication (or a certain amount of internet trolliness)!

Thanks,
Ben

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 34
Can you provide cliffs with just the key critical points of what you are actually after?

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 34
Wow. Such detailed background is nice to see. I think you just made up for every "so wat I r buy for $200?" post on the front page.

But yeah, a tl:dr bullet-pointed synopsis would be awesome.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 34
Can I just add a Vuvuzela button instead? 
etysmile.gif

Okay, here's a tl;dr for ya - although the OP is so long this won't be short itself:

I'm going to Sweden for graduate school next month.  I'll be gone for a year and I want something better to take with me than the relatively cheap Goldring DR100's I've got right now.

I'm used to listening to my main system, which is a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90's - among the best sub-$10,000 speakers made.  The highs and mids are extremely detailed yet still sweet sounding, and the bass is very tight and accurate.  The soundstage on them is awesome (pinpoint locationing, depth, and ambience) and I'm not sure that headphones at any price can come close to them.  The overall balance is neutral with just a hint of warmth, although I wouldn't mind a little more.

I want to get as close to them as possible in overall sound with a pair of headphones + amp + DAC, on a $400 or so budget.  Right now I'm thinking that my main source will be my laptop with FLAC files ripped from my CDs, with a Sony D-NE300 cdp as an occasional secondary mobile source (amped).  I don't listen while moving around, just sitting down - but I will be moving around to different buildings, etc. and I'll be in Sweden where the line voltage is different, so I want to stay away from AC powered stuff.

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear open phones, a DAC and an amp to go with them.  The phones ought to be very detailed without being harsh - smooth highs and mids are important, and tight bass (not excessive bass) is what I'm looking for.  An overall neutral to warm balance is desired.  Bright is unacceptable unless the highs and mids are extremely smooth and detailed.  Soundstage is critical as I'm used to speakers that make me forget I'm listening to them.  I want airy, spacious sound with precise instrument locationing across the entire field.  I dislike the "music coming from my head" feeling but I understand if there's no way to avoid it with any reasonably priced headphones.

My initial thought is to get Sennheiser HD 600's and an E-Mu 0202.  595's are another cheaper option, and I'm looking at the NuForce Icon Mobile and the FiiO E7 too.  I really like the 0202's features (I'll use it with speakers when I get back), so if the DAC and amp are up to the 600's then I'm leaning towards that.

A secondary goal is to get a smaller FLAC capable mp3 player (Sansa Clip, probably), and small headphone amp (probably a FiiO E5) as a more portable solution - to use either with the big phones or the Goldrings I already have.

So I'm looking for advice on the whole system - headphone/amp/DAC.  As I mentioned before, my budget is around $400 (not including a separate, more portable kit).  I am happy to buy used.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 34
Maybe I'm missing something on the specs page, but the E-Mu 0202 doesn't look like it has near enough power for the HD600s.  The HD600s are (or should be anyway, I have HD650s which are pretty similar) are quite smooth and detailed with a good soundstage.  The 650s I think are largely the same but with more bass.  If you want great soundstage and every last detail the AKG K701/2 are worth considering.  They sacrifice the smoothness of the Senns though.  The 600s do sound like a good compromise between the extremes of you speaker rig though.

The trouble is finding something to amp them with.  There's nothing I can think of in your budget that would amp any of those choices properly.  The only thing I can think of would be some kind of customized CMoy with a large voltage p-p.  There are probably some other DIY designs that could do it within you budget, but I don't where to start looking for them.  If you expand your budget a little bit, there are some desktop amps that would do the job, but would obviously tie you to your desk.

Have you considered another set of IEMs?  They won't have the soundstage of full size 'phones but do have all the detail and smoothness you're looking for.  I ask because they'll be much easier to amp.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 34
The HD600's are indeed difficult to drive - that's why I was unsure about them and suggested the HD595's as an alternative.  I'm not sure I'd like what they'd sound like from reviews on them, though.

I'm definitely not considering another pair of IEM's.  They're too uncomfortable for extended listening sessions and I don't want that level of isolation.  I know that they would be much easier to drive, but I'm not willing to give up the comfort.

The 0202 specs say 16 mW @ 22 ohms - leaving just over 1 mW at 300 ohms.  That definitely seems a bit low with the stated efficiency of the HD 600's at 97 dB @ 1 mW, but I've read a few reviews that seem to indicate it is enough:

Scroll down just over half way to a comparison between the 0202 and the 0404 by someone that goes by the name "Cavaille".

This review by iXBT Labs used the HD600's.

Here's a Head-fi review comparing the 0202 and 0404 using the HD650's.

Here is a dissenting opinion.  On the other hand, he was saying that his Creative sound card wasn't enough to power the HD580 and had no experience with the E-Mus.

All the reviews make me think that either the E-Mus are capable of putting out more current than they say, or that just over 1 mW should be enough for the HD600's.  I wonder if the transient output capability of the E-Mus is very high, and that the rated power is an accurate RMS rather than maximum output.  Given the size of the case, there certainly is room for some nice big capacitors inside.

The thought of that kind of reminds me of the Adcom I have.  It's got a 10A fuze on the power supply, but there's two 6A fuzes in parallel on each output channel - so it can put out well over twice as much current for short periods as it can sustain indefinitely.

So what I'm thinking I can do is get the 0202 and the HD600's, and try them out.  I can use my preamp's headphone out to see if the 0202 is underpowering the Sennheisers - if it is I can return either one and get something to match.

On the other hand, the FiiO E7 looks like it has plenty of power, and the line-in plus battery power mean it could be used with portable players as well.  I'm just not sure how well it will perform compared to the E-Mu 0202 - which on paper has a better DAC.  One thing is for sure - there's no problem with the Windows 7 x64 drivers of the E7.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 34
Well, 16mw will get volume out of it, but not much quality.  I'm going to have to assume that the e-mu is massively underspecified, since that's slightly more believable than everyone at those links is lying.  I don't know why anyone would under specify their product though.  My Cowon D2+ is rated at 70mw and maximum volume with it straight into my 650s is soft enough to listen to a few songs on before I have to turn it down.  (I also listen pretty soft in comparison to most people, so too loud for me is fine for a lot of other people)  The quality suffers at that volume as well, becoming somewhat harsh and losing its smoothness.

My unremarkable desktop DAC/amp combo is rated at 500mw into 300 ohms, and drives my HD650s quite well for the price, but not to their full potential.  It's not as portable as your looking for though.  There are portable amps which are supposed to be able to power the HD600s, but they'll eat your whole budget by themselves.

Also, the HD595s just aren't in the same class the HD600s, and since you seem to have high standards, I doubt you'll be happy with them.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 34
Yeah, amps can really eat up your budget...  In a perfect world we'd all just use straight wires with gain, right?

You'd be surprised at how often audio equipment can be under-specified.  Of course misleading over-specification is rampant in consumer gear today, but older stereo amps were often rated very conservatively.

Like I said, I think it may have to do with the transient current capability of the 0202.  It's quite large and may have enough power storage in its capacitors to make up for a lower rms output.  The USB bus may be the limiting factor in this case.

So now I'm torn between the E-Mu 0202 and the FiiO E7 - both are the same price and appear to be excellent for what they do.  Maybe I should just give both a try.

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 34
If you're going to chose between one of those, I'd choose the E-Mu since it has more volts to play with.  The Fiio just has 3.7 from it's li-ion battery.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 34
Well, that's not a whole lot better than 5V from the USB connection.  To be honest I've read some more posts about the 0202 and 0404 with high impedance headphones, and most of them come to the conclusion that they are indeed underpowered.

So, I'm leaning towards the E7 now.  When I get back from Sweden, I might get an E-Mu 0404 or an even better DAC to use my computer as a high-end music server, instead of upgrading my CD player.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 34
If you can solder well, or are up to looking around on the FS forum I think a grubDAC and a CMoy would be your best bet. They run from 9 volts and will be a lot better than the Fiio.  If you buy rather than build, you will come in over your budget, but not by a whole lot.  Unless you're really on a shoestring, you should go for that.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 34
wow

a-men to anyone who read original post (no offense)

and lol @ Jabse's post. epic. How long did you have that one stored in the vault? Grats on finding the right moment to strike
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 34
I tend to get carried away sometimes...

The GrubDAC looks great performance/price wise, but I'm not so sure about the form factor - combining with a separate amp.  Lots of cables is something I want to avoid as I'll already be dealing with a USB powered eSATA external hard drive, CF card reader, mouse, and a number pad.

Soldering is no problem, but prep time spent assembling components for the CMoy (for a better op amp than an eBay one) is not something I'd like to do.  My impression reading about the CMoy is that it is very quality dependent, the eBay ones aren't that good, and that the FiiO E5 is comparable to them (not the better op amp ones).  The E7 amp is supposed to be a little improved from the E5, so I'm not quite sure where it will fall in terms of sound quality.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 34
maverickronin, thanks for the advice so far.  I know I've been resistant to your direct suggestions, but they've made me look beyond the few products I was considering.

Wow - there's a whole lot more combination USB DAC + amps out there than I thought!  Today, work was slow and I spent quite a while looking at the plethora of models available for under $200 or so.

I realized that no DAP I get will have a line out, so a portable battery-powered amp with a line in won't really have any advantages for me right now.  It seems the Sansa Clip+ is actually capable of driving the HD600's (not nearly as good as a desktop DAC + amp, of course), and it certainly can drive my Goldrings - so again, I don't think I'll even benefit from a portable battery powered amp.

That said, I definitely would like to have a line-out for use with speakers or a better headphone amp in the future.  RCA jacks in the rear would be ideal.  Other requirements include the best DAC for the price and an amp capable of driving the HD600s.

Once I looked at what I wanted, I realized the NuForce uDAC was as close as I could come to the ideal DAC/amp for me.  This review pretty much convinced me - according to HeadphoneAddict's review it sounds similar to and sometimes better than $200-$300 DAC/amps.  At the price it goes for, I don't think I can lose.

The only downside is the low headphone output voltage compared to some of the battery sources - but for now I may use a spare Marantz 1020 integrated amp I just remembered I have lying around to run the phones anyway.  I spent some time comparing it and the Carver C-11 (with my Goldrings) and they are almost identical sounding - a sure sign that both are excellent given the 20-ish year difference in age and vastly different company philosophies.  On the other hand - the Marantz amp section does sound far inferior to the (C-11) matching Carver TFM-15cb amp I have when driving a pair of Klipsch KG 2's.  It is veiled and less detailed, a little warmer (I do like that), and definitely underpowered at higher volumes.  None of that seems to be the case with the headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back