A speaker enthusiast looking for advice on 'phones... with a penchant for ridiculously long posts.
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 34
Maybe I'm vying too hard for attention here with this third post in a row, but I just ordered the a refurbished uDAC from NuForce for $75...  and a paltry 15 minutes later it was updated with a tracking number.  I don't think I've ever seen service that fast before.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 34
If you're willing to be tied to your desk with the HD600s the uDAC plus an old school receiver is a great choice.  The main reason I recommended the CMoy was its higher voltage swing which the HD600 will need.  A cheaply built CMoy might not sound better than a Fiio with your Goldrings, but it will sound better with the HD600s since it has more than twice the voltage to play with.

If you did decide to go the DIY route, it wouldn't be hard to just put the grubDAC and CMoy into the same case, to increase portability.  You could buy them separately, premade, and put them in the same case as well.  That's probably what I'd do, since I can solder, but not that well.  My hands are a little shaky from all the meds I'm on, so all those tiny pins on the DAC chip are out of the question for me.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 34
I'm good at soldering - I'm a mechanical engineer and have had to assemble a few PCBs for design projects before - not to mention speaker and amp repairs.

To be honest, the real problem is time.  I've only got three weeks or so before I leave for Sweden, and I'm busy with work and school - not to mention getting ready to go.  It's surprising how much I have to do to get ready - a DIY project is something I'd love to do, and I realize that it'd be easy to dispense with the two separate project boxes and combine them in one - but I'm really getting down to crunch time.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 34
Only 3 weeks that are already very busy huh? That would put a damper on things.  You know your situation better than I do.  All I can really do is name stuff you may not have heard of.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 34
I have heard many members testify that the sound of the Denon series comes closest to approximating that of a full speaker system - certainly, out of all the cans I have heard, my D7000s do the best job of this. If you're looking for something similar to your old rig, you might try looking in this direction. The Denon D5000s should comfortably fit into your budget with some room leftover.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 34
Yeah, if you don't have your heart set on the HD600s you could get a pair of D2000s and a Total Bithead within your budget.  I used to own the D2000s and my bithead drove them quite well.  They aren't as smooth as the HD600s, have more bass, and can be a little sibilant.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 34
The Denon line does look intriguing - the reviews in comparison to the Sennheisers (which I'm definitely not set on, they're just a starting point) make them look like they might be a much better choice.  The reputation for sometimes excessive, maybe even flabby bass makes me wonder if they're really what I want.

On the other hand, one of the reviews I read (of the D2000) mentioned that it was very recording-dependent - that some albums are very tight and articulate, and others are excessive and flabby.  If that's the case, I wouldn't complain.  I have nothing against lots of bass - but flabby, undefined bass is worse than none at all to my ears.

I definitely appreciate the recommendations - so much that I'm looking at the whole Denon line and wondering if maybe it's worth spending even more!  My knowledge of diminishing returns in audio brings me back to the lesser models - I'm just not sure yet.

If it helps in thinking of what to recommend, barring finding something so close to perfect as the big Infinities (The Renaissance 90's certainly come close to that - look at the reviews), I'm hoping to find something with a sonic signature something like the Klipsch Heritage line (Heresies, Fortes, etc.) or Polk Monitor 7's powered by a McIntosh.  I'm not sure if there's anything really comparable in the headphone world - especially before considering the amp.  But if you've ever heard any of those classic Klipsches or Polks hooked up to a Mac (and I sure as heck don't mean an Apple), you know the sound I'm going for.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 34
If I was going to be stationary, I'd definitely give electrostatics a long look.  Actually, an older pair of Stax might be worth it just to try them out.  On the other hand, needing a stereo amp or AC outlet really puts them out of consideration for me.  However, sound-wise Stax look like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Orthodynamics seem to be pretty rare - can you enlighten me on the more common/affordable (but not the low end) ones available (new or used)?  I see there are lots of well regarded vintage phones, but they all look to be virtually impossible to find.  All the new ones I've seen are cheap and appear to have sound to match - except the HiFiMAN HE-5.  That looks like an excellent phone, but it's a bit above what I want to spend - and I'm guessing it is as difficult to drive as my Infinity's EMIT & EMIM drivers are - since the HE-5 has exactly the same type of driver that the Infinities are.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #25 of 34
Never heard any of those speakers, so I can't really help you there.  I can tell you a little more about the D2000s though.  I wouldn't call the bass flabbly.  It's not as tight as my HD650s but its hardly the one note slurry some make it out to be.  Given your high end speaker preferences you may not be satisfied with it though.  They also do tend to exaggerate sibilance and other flaws on poor recordings.  They're pretty comfy and not to hard to amp though.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 34
That's good to hear about the bass.  Given the price I think I might give it a try, and if it isn't as good as I hope I guess I'll have to return them and shell out for something better.  Like I said, the reviews vs. the HD600s are pretty convincing.

Those HiFiMANs (both models) look pretty good for the price though - if they didn't need such a beast of an amp I'd be all over them.  The descriptions I've read about their sound pretty much line right up with the EMI planar drivers Infinity uses.

The relatively inexpensive Audiotrak ImAmp does appear to be capable of driving them on battery power, so maybe they're still an option for me.  Hmmm...

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 34
The Denons would also be nice since they're flexible about amplification.They'll probably sound pretty good from a small portable DAC/amp, and will improve when you're back at your desk with that receiver.  The bass on the Denons tightens up as the power and quality of the amp improves.  I don't know a whole lot about the HE-5s though, so I can't help you with that.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
On the other hand, one of the reviews I read (of the D2000) mentioned that it was very recording-dependent - that some albums are very tight and articulate, and others are excessive and flabby.  If that's the case, I wouldn't complain.  I have nothing against lots of bass - but flabby, undefined bass is worse than none at all to my ears.

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to try other models in the Denon series, but I can say that I experience no flab or boominess with the D7000. It is true that the Denons do err on the side of abundance rather than deficiency when it comes to bass - on some songs, it becomes very prominent but never crosses the line to overwhelming.

As to your concern about diminishing returns, I am in complete agreement. The performance gap between the D7000 and its little siblings are hotly contended - some will swear by the fact that the difference is day and night and others will argue that the difference in quality is not worth the difference in price. Again, I regret my lack of experience with both the D2000 and the D5000. With that said, in your position, I'd cast my glance toward the D5000 - if nothing else, you get the beautiful wood cup and cable upgrade over the D2000 as well as an excellent introduction to the Denon line. There is always room to move up to the D7000 in the future.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 34
Well, it seems I just can't seem to make up my mind.  The whole diminishing returns thing is got me by the horns - what I've read about the D5000 makes me wonder if it's really worth the extra $200 - almost twice as much as the D2000.

On the other hand, the inoffensive nature of the HD600 is drawing me back towards it.  An 18v CMoy should have no trouble with them.

I've also found a used pair of the HE-5's for a good price, so if I can figure out something relatively inexpensive to amp it with (<$200), then I might go for that instead.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #30 of 34
I have not heard the un-modded D2000. But I owned the D5000 and the LA2000. I also had the HD600. So based on that, here's my opinion.

Generally I really loved the sound of the D5000 and HD600.

I am interested in the HD650 because I'm hoping that it improves on the one thing I disliked about them... the rolled-off highs.
If you are used to electrostatic speakers, you'll be disappointed in the highs of the HD600. From 6khz down they are stellar! Gorgeous rich, lush tonality and extremely natural. But the lack of clarity and detail in the highs were the deal breaker.

The D5000 are phenominal. Again, like the HD600, they have a rich, lush, sonorous signature, are extremely comfortable and yes, beautiful. They have all the highs that are not present in the HD600, but I never found them sibilant (those who do may wish to look at their source material). I found them bright and clear and brilliant. So why are they gone? The bass. A flabby one-note of extreme thudding... to my ear. Bass, Bass, Bass. Music without much bass (string quartets, motets, piano...) OMG... phenominal ! But throw in some driving bass and the rest of the wonderful sound got muddied-up and overridden.

So I tried the LA2000. Based on the D2000-D5000 they are wonderful. The bass 'issue' is gone the glorious highs remain and the mids emerge from any recess. The boomy bass has been replaced by a slight lessening and major tightening. To me, that was worth the price of admission. I had to sell these, but I found them to be the best of the bunch. The only quibble I had with them is the mids. I found that the full modification of the cans emphasized the mids a bit to much... for my tastes... and they lost some of their lush richness.

Take or leave any of the above, but I thought I'd give you my take on the one's you're discussing.

This is why I'm interested in the HD650... after that the LCD-2.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back