A rant about flaky sellers.. (and a paypal tip)
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Very recently i encountered a good deal for a headphone that i wanted.. Let's just say for $x plus shipping CONUS

I contacted the seller stating that i'm interested, and hopes that they'd consider shipping to australia

He said he'd consider it and asked me about options of shipping. I listed it to him and told him that i can pay non-cc paypal which would enable him to receive feeless payment.

He he is now agreeing to shipping to australia, even offering shipping included in the price because he won't get charged any paypal fees. He attached his paypal address (which to me is the sign that a deal has been reached) and told me that he'd ship a day or two after the payment's received.

I e-mailed him to confirm that he does have a personal account to avoid the fees and told him about how to check which one he has etc. and guided him through the options if he has a premier account (one of them being make a personal acct.)

The next e-mail i got was something along the lines of he has a premier account, someone offered to pay paypal fees and shipping on top of the price of the headphones and he chose to go with that instead

Note that I'd reply within a few minutes or max. a few hours after his reply, whereas he'd take a full day if that makes any difference whatsoever

Now.. for the question

Obviously i'm dissapointed by how this turned out. I could've sent the money before my last e-mail and made him lose a bit of $. I would've paid for shipping and paypal fees if i was given the option, i thought free shipping was out of generosity.

I don't know, it seems to me the deal was closed and i was merely doing him a favour by sending out another e-mail.. Am i overreacting here?
And no, i didn't send an abusive e-mail.. I just said i thought i was doing him a favour and congrats on more $

Oh, and to the others reading.. make a personal account if you have a premier one. It's perfectly legal, each person is allowed a personal AND a premier or business account. I'm surprised not as many people do it..

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 24
If I were in your position, it would get troublesome as I would have transfered funds through paypal straightaway when the agreement was made that the item was to be sold to me. This thread now puts me in cautious mode on my next deal if there is any heh.

Maybe you should leave a comment about this on his feedback thread, I would if I were you
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 24
You should never give your paypal address to the other person unless the deal is "final".

He was wrong on his part.

If he wanted to wait for a better deal to come along, then he should have waited to give you his paypal.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 24
Did you email the Seller saying I will buy them for $XX.XX and send payment upon confirmation?

If not you were still kicking tires. A motivated buyer get the goods. I've had numerous people say they were interested in an item, wanted to buy it but asked more questions only to disappear after a day or 2 all the while other members were asking to buy the item.

I don't get peoples concern over PayPal Fees. It's the cost of doing business.

Mitch

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 24
As a seller, I once had a very high profile user from here offer to buy my amp, he just needed to get funds by selling something else. I agreed to wait. In the interim, he found something he would rather buy, and bought it instead. So don't be too surprised if sellers take deals from people ready to buy now, rather than wait for whatever hoops you have to jump through to buy it. Make an offer to buy when you're ready to buy.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should leave a comment about this on his feedback thread, I would if I were you
wink.gif

Agreed. This is relevant feedback, particularly for international buyers.

I have had limited issues with Head-Fi-ers unwilling to send to Oz - they exist but have so far been most upfront (as Zorander indicates, it's generally a comfort issue to sell locally - though we can all understand how someone can be attracted to greater personal profits, I'm sure).

Fallenangel is right: different people will see things in different ways.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 24
Well, think positively... Do you really need that headphone ?
Maybe he just helped you save a few hundred bucks...

That's how I comfort myself everytime when I lose an auction on EBay or miss a deal.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 24
Grey area. Imo, both parties were a bit vague in what was understood & agreed upon.

In the end, it's a wash. I don't really see any intended malice on either party's part here. Chalk it up to experience in making clearly delineated deals.

Let it go.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 24
IMO. Once an agreement is reached The seller deserves immediate payment, unless an other arrangement is part of the agreement. In this transaction there was no agreement. There was still give and take on accounts and fees. That's it. That's all there is to it. I urge you to think this through. I would be very careful in sending a negative feedback. Seller and buyer feedback reputation is all we have.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO. Once an agreement is reached The seller deserves immediate payment, unless an other arrangement is part of the agreement. In this transaction there was no agreement. There was still give and take on accounts and fees. That's it. That's all there is to it. I urge you to think this through. I would be very careful in sending a negative feedback. Seller and buyer feedback reputation is all we have.

It's not from head-fi.. (not ebay either, you can guess where) and i would never leave a feedback for a non-existant transaction

And.. the delay was to save him some money, not my fault or for my personal benefit

Him:

"I'll give it a try if we can do the deal for $xx USD from you assuming there is no Paypal fee. I'll pay for shipping. The last cc sale I did on Paypal the fee was nearly 4%, so the savings with no fee makes the deal possible.

Please let me know what you want to do. I'll ship as soon as possible after payment, which normall means that day or the day after.

My Paypal address is

---@aol.com"

Me: asked for confirmation of personal account blah blah and

"Let me know, and i'll send the payment as soon as you confirm"

Him:

"I'll check on this later today. I don't have time this morning. I am not all that swift with Paypal, but I think my account is a premier account. Can I just down grade the account I have? Can I start another account using the same email address?"

Me: Explanations again.. then "I have the payment ready, just let me know when you've got it worked out!"

And part of the last e-mail from him: "I have another offer for my full asking price plus shipping and Paypal in the States, so I am going to go with that."

Well.. what's done is done, it's a sign that i shouldn't sway from searching for a senn
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 24
I can see how you, jdimitri, would be a little troubled by this. If it was me, I would have been very disappointed.

However, I can also see where the seller is comming from. He might have had a reason to want to sell it very fast. I know, by having him find out about paypal fees you were trying to do him a service, but he might have just seen it as extra steps that slowed down the sale.

So yea, I can see how both of you feel. No biggie though.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and to the others reading.. make a personal account if you have a premier one. It's perfectly legal, each person is allowed 3 or 5 accounts (i forgot which). I'm surprised not as many people do it..

Can someone point this out in Paypal's terms of service? I'd hate to create another account and have both accounts locked.

To reverse the role how to do sellers feel about buyers committing and then backing out at the last second? This has happened on countless occasions to me (not just on this forum).

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Q: Can I have multiple PayPal accounts?

A: Yes. PayPal members may have one Personal account and one Premier or Business account. You can add additional email addresses, credit cards, debit cards and bank accounts to your Personal, Premier or Business account. However, each account must have its own email address and financial information. If you only need one account, you can also upgrade from a Personal account to a Premier or Business account.

Off the paypal help section under Paypal Basics>Personal accounts
I don't know where the 3 or 5 came from
confused.gif
I thought i read it somewhere..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back