A rant about flaky sellers.. (and a paypal tip)
Aug 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 24
I have given up looking at the for sale sections here (other than some pricing research) because it seems its just way too much hassle for someone to send something outside the USA. Because this forum is largely US based, and thats where many of the goodies come from, it rules out many deals here.

Its a real tease though seeing some of the stuff!

Fran

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To reverse the role how to do sellers feel about buyers committing and then backing out at the last second? This has happened on countless occasions to me (not just on this forum).

I don't like it but sometimes things happen or oppurtunities happen. For example, I would prefer to do local sales on everything if I could as that saves on the hassle of shipping.

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

To reverse the role how to do sellers feel about buyers committing and then backing out at the last second? This has happened on countless occasions to me (not just on this forum).

It's the same level of annoyance - when outcomes don't meet expectations .

At timeslike this I think of this line from the Simpsons

"... Some of them act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been mistreated. But, like people, some of them are just jerks..."

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off the paypal help section under Paypal Basics>Personal accounts
I don't know where the 3 or 5 came from
confused.gif
I thought i read it somewhere..

Obviously if you're receiving money, it would be best to have a personal account. But what happens if someone sends a CC-backed payment? The only way to accept it is to upgrade to a premier account...

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 24
If you sell on eBay it automatically upgrades your personal account to business. I had to argue with them over the phone to get them to set it back to personal. They told me if it happened again though they couldn't set it back.

So if both selling on eBay and having a personal account is important to you it is best to have two accounts.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 24
I believe a request for a paypal address gives the buyer an exclusive window to send funds (regardless of better offers etc). Outside of special circumstances, all communication before a paypal request is 100% non binding. This is the only way to be fair and to eliminate gray area sales.

IMO the OP was treated unfairly. If it was that important to the seller, he should have explained the situation to the buyer and asked if they would clear a sale to the second buyer. If not, the seller is obligated to follow through with the 1st buyer.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #22 of 24
I'm 100% with the OP. If the listing was a FOR SALE listing then once a Paypal ID addy is given, that consitutes a sale. Also, if the seller gives a shipping window, that further enforces the sale. This crap of sellers committing to a buyer and then backing out at the last minute because something better came along is unethical and they shouldn't be allowed to sell here. If the seller wants the ability to choose the highest bidder or a local buyer, then post the listing as an IC or Taking Offers.

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by unseen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you sell on eBay it automatically upgrades your personal account to business. I had to argue with them over the phone to get them to set it back to personal. They told me if it happened again though they couldn't set it back.

So if both selling on eBay and having a personal account is important to you it is best to have two accounts.

I sell on ebay and it didn't do this. My account is still premier.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 24
When I said "business" I really meant business or premier. I prefer to have personal so I can accept no-fee transactions via non #cc payments. "Business/premier" doesn't allow this and eBay doesn't allow sellers to maintain their "personal" accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back