A Question about the Sennheiser HD600
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #46 of 81
^ I plan on doing exactly that in a few weeks. I slept on this idea last night and have decided once and for all to just wait for a set of HD 600s to be sold here. I'd rather have them asap so i can invest in amps later, over buying a lesser set of cans and still investing in an amp/usbdac later lol

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #47 of 81
I would also love to know how the BEHRINGER POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 HEADPHONE AMPs sound with the HD600. They look very tastey, 4/8 channel EQ depending on the model and can drive as low as 8ohms...lots of power on these and would love to know how they roll

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #48 of 81
I tend to agree with those who says that getting the HD600 can save you money later...and they are better than the HD595. BUT,only when amped. so if you think you will buy an amp in the near future you probably be better getting the HD600 straight away.

I would still recommend the HD595 if you not gonna get sort of an amp in the near future. I also think they definitely will sound better than the HD600 unamped. unlike the HD600 ,the HD595 will get to their full potential straight from a portable or pc (and they sound great imo).
grado is also good effiecent headphones if you love that sound, but you have to like the grado house sound,or else you can be very dissapointed.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #49 of 81
I've never used the 595, but I loves me my 485s. Does the 595 have a detaching cable and if so what size is the Input into the can. 2.5 or 3.5mm?

Id like to pick one of these up soon if they sound nicer than the Shure 750DJ. Would be my primary through the pc, used mostly and more so than any other i own.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #51 of 81
Are you saying that when you plug an HD595 into your umicro amp that it doesn't make a difference? Even then, the HD595 isn't an inferior can. It sounds different from the HD6xx. I personally much prefer the HD6xx sound but others don't. If one likes the HD595 sound, then the HD595 is a steal since it offers nice details and clarity. It does improve with good amping too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to agree with those who says that getting the HD600 can save you money later...and they are better than the HD595. BUT,only when amped. so if you think you will buy an amp in the near future you probably be better getting the HD600 straight away.

I would still recommend the HD595 if you not gonna get sort of an amp in the near future. I also think they definitely will sound better than the HD600 unamped. unlike the HD600 ,the HD595 will get to their full potential straight from a portable or pc (and they sound great imo).
grado is also good effiecent headphones if you love that sound, but you have to like the grado house sound,or else you can be very dissapointed.

[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #52 of 81
I wonder how can people say a HD6xx right out of their computer headphone out sound any good? I used a total bithead to power mine until a bigger amp arrived and it did not sound good. My SR225i was a better performer and $300 cheaper as well.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how can people say a HD6xx right out of their computer headphone out sound any good?

Because HD600 out of a Fuze sounds good. I'm extrapolating to a (somewhat) similar onboard amplification scenario.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #54 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how can people say a HD6xx right out of their computer headphone out sound any good? I used a total bithead to power mine until a bigger amp arrived and it did not sound good. My SR225i was a better performer and $300 cheaper as well.

Just fanboyism, I think. Grados will outperform Senn HD6xx without proper amplification every time, imo. Or even Denon, etc. Higher end Senns without amplification sound like carboard doo-doo, imo.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #55 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just fanboyism, I think. Grados will outperform Senn HD6xx without proper amplification every time, imo. Or even Denon, etc. Higher end Senns without amplification sound like carboard doo-doo, imo.
biggrin.gif

I think it silly to simply throw out the term "fanboyism" any time people support a certain headphone in the face of widely propagated over-exaggeration. A Grado headphone may "outperform" a Sennheiser HD6xx which isn't properly amplified, in the sense that it might perform closer to its full potential, but it will also sound very different from the HD600... and the OP specifically asked about the HD600.

I think it's a further stretch to recommend a headphone with a completely different sound signature than to recommend that the OP go ahead and get the headphone in which (s)he is specifically interested. The HD600 sounds quite good straight from the headphone out of a DAP, so I imagine it wouldn't be much different for a computer.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it silly to simply throw out the term "fanboyism" any time people support a certain headphone in the face of widely propagated over-exaggeration. A Grado headphone may "outperform" a Sennheiser HD6xx which isn't properly amplified, but the OP specifically asked about the HD600.

I think it's a further stretch to recommend a headphone with a completely different sound signature than to recommend that the OP go ahead and get the headphone in which (s)he is specifically interested. The HD600 sounds quite good straight from the headphone out of a DAP, so I imagine it wouldn't be much different for a computer.

Yeah, he asked about the HD600 out of an onboard computer soundcard. I mean, get real. Anyone who doesn't know that that is going to sound like crap shouldn't be posting on a headphone site, imho.

You can have all the "sound signature" you want, but if the phones are underpowered -- like they are out of onboard computer sound cards, or out of unamplified DAPs -- it's not going to make much difference because all that "sound signature" is going to be obscured by underpowered drivers incapable of providing much but a very flat and anemic sound.

If you like flat and anemic sound, that's your choice. I don't think it's the best thing to be recommending to other people, though - who have obviously never heard the HD600s and who don't know what they're getting into without an amp. If you want Senns and don't have an amp, at least get 595s or even 555s.

Of course if he is getting an amp, that changes everything, like I said. Otherwise, go with phones that are easier to drive without an amp than HD600s.

$.02

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, he asked about the HD600 out of an onboard computer soundcard. I mean, get real. Anyone who doesn't know that that is going to sound like crap shouldn't be posting on a headphone site, imho.

Do you own the headphones in question? Or do you have any extended experience with them both properly amped and also straight from a DAP headphone output? I do. I have tried it several times. It sounds neither like "crap" nor like "cardboard doo-doo". You may simply brush my opinion away, if you wish, since it differs from your own, or write me off as someone who shouldn't be posting on a headphone site, but the fact is that I have actually tried the scenario in question, and the result is not horrible... far from it, actually.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #59 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own the headphones in question? Or do you have any extended experience with them both properly amped and also straight from a DAP headphone output? I do. I have tried it several times. It sounds neither like "crap" nor like "cardboard doo-doo". You may simply brush my opinion away, if you wish, since it differs from your own, or write me off as someone who shouldn't be posting on a headphone site, but the fact is that I have actually tried the scenario in question, and the result is not horrible... far from it, actually.

Yeah, I used to own them. They sounded like crap out of computer sound card, out of a Clip, and even out of an unamplified DAC. I listened to people giving advice like you're giving and made a big mistake in getting them without a good desktop amp.

Maybe you need more experience with other phones to know what you're missing, because if you honestly think HD600s straight out of an onboard sound card sounds good, you are missing a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back