A Question about the Sennheiser HD600
Jan 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #76 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of us is saying that the HD600 will sound it's best without being amp'd. Even amp'd the HD600 will not sound its best because not all amps are created equal. Even with great amp'ing the HD600's will not sound their best because they need a good source. etc. etc.

The OP is interested in the HD600's and asked if they would sound OK unamp'd until s/he gets an amp. My answer in that specific context would be YES.

If the OP simply asked if it would be a good idea to get the HD600 when s/he has no plans for getting an amp, my answer would be a resounding NO.

IMO, the HD600's aren't close to their best when unamp'd. However, all things being relative, they don't sound like crap unamp'd. Just not their best. Now reread your own quotes from your various sources and tell me where my opinion opposes any of what's stated there. I don't see where TopPop's advice is any different from mine either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think TopPop wanted to say that without an amp they sound better than lots of good headphones and that might be true. Also, with an amp they will shine, another truth. So why disagreement?

I heartily agree on all counts.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So lets not argue please, thank you for the strong feelings towards gear I am questioning lol...but we at head fi need to stick together.

While I agree that we do need to stick together, the disruptive bozo attitude will emerge now and then. I don't know if it's from waking up on the wrong side of the bed, having one too many, recently being in an argument, having a bad day or what I would not certainly hope, just being a bozo. When it emerges, I usually, let it go. However, in this instance, I couldn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

You seem to know what you're doing and have made your decision. Good luck and happy head-fi'ing.
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Before throwing around opinions as you are doing, take some more time to better understand what the OP was asking and what we're saying that seems so ridiculous to you.

None of us is saying that the HD600 will sound it's best without being amp'd. Even amp'd the HD600 will not sound its best because not all amps are created equal. Even with great amp'ing the HD600's will not sound their best because they need a good source. etc. etc.

The OP is interested in the HD600's and asked if they would sound OK unamp'd until s/he gets an amp. My answer in that specific context would be YES.

If the OP simply asked if it would be a good idea to get the HD600 when s/he has no plans for getting an amp, my answer would be a resounding NO.

IMO, the HD600's aren't close to their best when unamp'd. However, all things being relative, they don't sound like crap unamp'd. Just not their best. Now reread your own quotes from your various sources and tell me where my opinion opposes any of what's stated there. I don't see where TopPop's advice is any different from mine either.

You should just state the truth. "Will they sound good unamped out of an onboard sound card?"

"No, they won't. They require amplification to sound as they were intended to sound, as all the reputable dealers and head-fiers will tell you. So if you intend to get them, make sure you get an amp ASAP."

Not, "sure, they will sound fine until you get an amp."

They really don't sound that great without an amp at all. Saying they do is not really true, and it misleads a lot of people to think they're going to be "good enough" without an amp, when in reality they would probably be better off with HD595 or something else instead.

I'll ignore your insulting "bozo" comments, seeing how you have discredited yourself already by saying HD600 sounds good unamped in any context, contrary to what almost everyone else says, including the dealers and the manufacturer.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #79 of 81
Dealers and the manufacturer say that they will reach their full potential with an amp but they don't say they will sound like crap without one. Nobody disagrees with you about full potential. They just think hd600's will reflect its characteristics without an amp but not in the best way. So, you are right
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

While I agree that we do need to stick together, the disruptive bozo attitude will emerge now and then. I don't know if it's from waking up on the wrong side of the bed, having one too many, recently being in an argument, having a bad day or what I would not certainly hope, just being a bozo. When it emerges, I usually, let it go. However, in this instance, I couldn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or maybe it's from hitting his head against the desk too many times out of frustration born from trying to talk sense into people?

I'm not going to get into this argument, but don't confuse indifference for ignorance. I've been down this road too many times. Some of the most experienced folk here seem to think that these headphones need a proper signal path to be worth the money. What kind of experience do you bring to the table that lets you say this with so much conviction?

But in all fairness, the HD600 does perform better unamped than the HD650 or K701, so take that for whatever it's worth. I'd still rather listen to an SR-60 over an unamped HD600 any day, or even an underamped HD600.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #81 of 81
To the original poster,

I've owned both the hd595 and the hd600 but if you don't have a soundcard or an external dac I don't think you'll be driving the hd600's to a very high volume. You "might" get away with the 595's having a fairly decent volume though. I can't really remember exactly how loud because that was years ago.

All I know is that once I got my dac my whole setup sounded so much better to the point where I'd never settle for the tower jack ever again. I'd suggest investing in a nuforce udac for about $99 to get you started man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back