A Question about the Sennheiser HD600
Jan 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 81
^This wouldn't surprise me. I do recall listening to the HD650's straight from my computer and they really weren't too bad. Just less controlled and less dynamic. However, still the HD650's in character.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #33 of 81
I would go for the HD600. Headphones should come before amplification. You won't really know what you're missing out on anyway. You will always be wishing you got the HD600 when you buy the HD595. Pick up a used pair here, they go for low $200's I am pretty sure. HD580 with HD650 cable and HD600 grill should be even cheaper and has the same driver as the HD600 too. It probably will pick up noise but a DAC should fix that, or a better sound card. Both can be had for about $100. Even better, pick up a $50 CD player and buy some CDs. That will do for now.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #34 of 81
Oh lol and David.M. I can't even hear my hard drive, my SLI gtx 285's are up at 100% fan speed all the time
biggrin.gif
A ssd makes no noise like a hard drive does too, I sold mine tho to fund for audio purchases
biggrin.gif
Don't think the SSD is worth $400.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the HD600. Headphones should come before amplification. You won't really know what you're missing out on anyway.

wow - that statement just jumped out at me for some reason. Can't say I agree with that philosophy, but to each his own.

OP, if you are going directly out from your soundcard, don't even bother with HD600s. That's not what they were designed for. I think you would be much better off with Grados or another phone that doesn't need that much amplification than with HD600s.

For example, SR-60/80 or MS-1s, or the other Senns you mentioned would be a much better choice directly out of a sound card than HD600s. Despite what some people are saying here (which I think is a little misleading, TBH) those higher end Senns really do require good amplification to sound halfway decent. If you definitely plan to get a good amp in the near future that is a different story, but otherwise there really is quite a veil, and the drivers don't really get the juice they need to perform properly. And I even had a portable amp with mine - which imo was still not enough. I wish someone had given me the advice that I'm giving you b4 I bought HD600s with only a portable. But to each his own, live and learn, and all that kind of thing.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #36 of 81
I say that from my experience and beliefs. I was going to recommend MS-1i but I had the impressions he really wanted sennheiser's, not an in your face, small soundstage set of cans. Anyway, yes I do believe in headphones first. I have actually gone, in terms of priority: Headphones>Amp>Source. Bad idea really but I think it sounds wonderful nonetheless. I haven't heard any better, so I am not aching to get a better source
wink.gif
. Headphones will keep the same sound signature, when properley driven, the bass will become more controlled, go deeper, 'soundstage widened (usually) etc. The aspects of the headphone will just improve, not completely morph from a Grado into an Audio Technica.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #37 of 81
I dont even have a soundcard, just the basic one that came with my mini tower. :[ I cant get one because there is only room for 1 low profile graphics card ( which i have ) or a low profile sound card.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 81
Souds like you have a 10 year old computer
wink.gif
. I have 4 slots for graphics cards and two for sound cards
smile.gif
. Looks like you need to invest in a new computer before sound equipment hehehe. Anyway, I am sure a $50-$100 CD player will do justice for the HD600 until you get a decent DAC and amp. It's better than onboard sound and you don't have to worry about burning all your CDs to lossless. I hope you have CDs...mp3s are bad, illegal to download and sound like junk
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #40 of 81
Ah i used to own a little comp like those one's. Built one myself, then a month later another and now built an i7 rig
biggrin.gif
If you really need a computer, something just like the Zero would be good. Is a DAC and amp then goes plety loud. Not sure how it performs with Sennheiser's though but it's only like $150 shipped worldwide
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #41 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont even have a soundcard, just the basic one that came with my mini tower. :[ I cant get one because there is only room for 1 low profile graphics card ( which i have ) or a low profile sound card.

Sounds like you need a USB DAC. If you look around there are some decent DAC around $100.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$100 uDAC + SR60i/80i, MS-1s, or maybe even HD595 is going to be a much better rig than HD600s out of a consumer-grade onboard sound card. And less expensive, to boot.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #43 of 81
Some people might be in the opinion that choosing hd600 over hd595 would save your money in the long money but there is a possibility that you may prefer hd595 to hd600 in any setup. They have diff sound signatures so its possible to prefer one to another.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #44 of 81
I say go with the HD600, it'll sound better regardless of your setup (although a HD595 and some DAC that makes up the difference in price will sound better). It scales better too so as you upgrade your equipment, you'll get higher gains.

Remember, if you get an amp, merely plugging it into your onboard sound card will do next to nothing. You also need a good source for the music to come out of (DAC/dedicated sound card)

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #45 of 81
I own a pair of HD650 and use it straight from my Toshiba labtop.
Sound quality wise they are very good, but probably not as dynamic
compared to SR60 from the same source.
I know I'm not doing the phones justice, but I've heard HD650 on decent
setups so I know what I'm missing.
Definitely go for HD600. They should sound good enough before you plan
on upgrading your source and adding an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back