A Question about the Sennheiser HD600
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 81
The uDAC would be a good budget solution as a DAC since you don't have a soundcard, but imo the amp is not sufficient to drive the HD600s to their full potential. Not that it will necessarily sound "bad," just not.... as good as they could.
wink.gif
A little weak and anemic. To drive them properly you will need at least a halfway decent amp, like the LD someone mentioned, Audiotailor Jade, etc. if tubes are what you're after.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with the cables. I've owned a couple of aftermarket cables for the HD-600 and found zero difference between them and the stock cable.

Which cables were those? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 81
Would a BEHRINGER POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 amp suffice for the hd600?

This is a really tough choice for me. And I agree with the user who said I will just upgrade soon anyway. Right now I can afford the 595 and them some, or just the 600 but with no amp. If people feel the hd600 can run pretty good through a pc, Ill get it. If not, then i have to 595 it.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundogan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People exaggerate the needs to drive the 300 ohm HD600 to acceptable volume levels a lot it seems :\

Ideedy doodily. That, and the sound quality unamped (or lack thereof) is also exaggerated, in my opinion. They do sound much better from a dedicated amp, but that doesn't mean they sound bad straight from an onboard source amp. They still sound better than most headphones I've heard straight from my Fuze.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a BEHRINGER POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 amp suffice for the hd600?

This is a really tough choice for me. And I agree with the user who said I will just upgrade soon anyway. Right now I can afford the 595 and them some, or just the 600 but with no amp. If people feel the hd600 can run pretty good through a pc, Ill get it. If not, then i have to 595 it.

Get the 595 used, then you can resell it with no financial loss as long as you treat it well and get a good pair in the first place. The HD600 will work unamped, in the sense that you will get sound out of it and it may even be sufficient volume, but you won't have much dynamic range and bass definition, and it really won't be worth the money compared to something much easier to drive.

Don't know about the Behringer amp.

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Ugh, I WANT the hd600 obviously, but maybe just getting the 595 for now is the best way to further increase the awesomeness of my collection :p

Regardless of any bias I may or may not have as an HD600 owner, the fact that you say this would lead me to encourage you not to take this route. If you settle for less than what you have your sights set on, you will probably end up spending more money and time in the long run if you get the 595 now, because the nagging want of the HD600 won't go away, and you will probably upgrade to it later on down the road anyway.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 81
I completely agree, however right now I am using a Sennheiser PMX100, ive nothing else lol...and im seriously going insane so I've got to get something quick or else im going to just start going crazy.

I think for my needs the 595 is the best for me. I obviously want the 600 more, but if i am investing in that, i wont be able to invest in an amp for it for some time.....GAWWWWWWWW

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 81
Quote:

I completely agree, however right now I am using a Sennheiser PMX100, ive nothing else lol...and im seriously going insane so I've got to get something quick or else im going to just start going crazy.

I think for my needs the 595 is the best for me. I obviously want the 600 more, but if i am investing in that, i wont be able to invest in an amp for it for some time.....GAWWWWWWWW

I see your point, and it is a good one. However, although I don't have any experience with the 595, I do believe that the idea that the 600 need an amp to sound good is exaggerated quite beyond the truth.

It is my opinion that the 600 will sound good now, irrespective of how they're actually amped, but will also provide a great increase in sound quality if (and, most likely when) you upgrade with an amp later on.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of any bias I may or may not have as an HD600 owner, the fact that you say this would lead me to encourage you not to take this route. If you settle for less than what you have your sights set on, you will probably end up spending more money and time in the long run if you get the 595 now, because the nagging want of the HD600 won't go away, and you will probably upgrade to it later on down the road anyway.

Bah, don't remind me. The first headphone I had ever heard at a meet was the HE90. Bad idea, in retrospect. I spent years trying to recreate that sound for cheap, only to realize that it's impossible and there's no way out other than getting a high-end 'stat rig.

Still, I don't think that getting the HD595 now will in any way impede the ability to get the HD600 later, as long as you're a responsible seller. Buying used and treating your gear well really saves you money in the long run.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 81
HD600 might sound good without a dedicated amp, but with one, you'll wonder why you never had a dedicated amp to start with. Source also counts the differences.

When I first got old my HD600, using a weak source and amp (an AV receiver), I might have achieve 70% of it's potential. With the right equipment, you can hear a lot more and you'll start to hear how bad low bitrate mp3s are as well as bad recording from the artist.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 might sound good without a dedicated amp, but with one, you'll wonder why you never had a dedicated amp to start with. Source also counts the differences.

When I first got old my HD600, using a weak source and amp (an AV receiver), I might have achieve 70% of it's potential. With the right equipment, you can hear a lot more and you'll start to hear how bad low bitrate mp3s are as well as bad recording from the artist.

Yes, but my point is this: how does 70% of an HD600 compare to, say, 90% of one of the alternatives? To my ears, 70% of an HD600 sounds pretty darn good.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 81
deadpool86,
If you seriously intend to get an amp soon, then I'd recommend getting the HD600. What will happen is that you get the HD595's and then get an amp, only to be later drooling at the HD600's.

However, if the amp is iffy financially and more an ambition than a soon to be reality, then go for the HD595's for now. One thing that's very useful about the less expensive purchases is that you get to become acquainted with a decent can. With that you get to know what it is you like about them and dislike about them. In this way, you grow more acquainted with what it is you want in a pair of cans. You don't want to start high end, wipe yourself out with a particular can, and then it's not the one that really has you singing. There's a lot of variation in sound among the various very good headphone offerings out there.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #29 of 81
I also used to own a HD555 (defoamed), and it was no where near as good as the HD600. There was more details and clarity with the HD600, even at 70%.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #30 of 81
FWIW i prefer the sound of my HD650's straight out of my iphone compared to my other cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back