A Portable amp for Zune HD?
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #16 of 22
The D10 has the ability to roll the opamps and adjust the sound signature.  The USB DAC is consistently highly reviewed by a number of long-time head-fier's.  It can be charged via USB while in use.  It has optical and coaxial connections.  The price is very reasonable as well.  It drives IEM's as well as many full-sized cans.  I have paired it with Westone 3's and Ultrasone Pro 900's with outstanding results in both applications. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #17 of 22
if the volume is that high, ur  damaging ur hearing. I have the volume on for mine at 8-12

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #19 of 22
The arrow really looks good. Black on black with the zune hd, that's slick! 

Quote:
if the volume is that high, ur  damaging ur hearing. I have the volume on for mine at 8-12

8-12? Really?!! Your ears must be very sensitive to pick up much details. 
basshead.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
I love the iBasso D10 with mine.  If you don't need the coax or optical for any other application, check out the iBasso D4, RSA Tomahawk or Hornet are also worthy of research.

I'm thinking of setting myself up with my Zune HD, may I ask how you are connecting your D10 if you don't have an LOD?  Are you connecting directly to the HP?

I'm looking at RSA Mustang P-51, Pico Slim, iBasso D4 and Meier Stepdance as possible options, my main IEMs are UE11Pros.  Can you (or anybody) suggest which of these might be my best choice?   I'm tempted by the Mustang because I can order it easily and not have to wait 8 weeks like the Pico Slim.  The Meier looks great but sounds like it burns up batteries and I'm a bit concerned whenever I have to wait for something to come from Europe.  The iBasso does look good but the Mustang got a better review from what I've read here.

I do have a new Touch 4th Gen which I could use instead, its just bigger and the sound doesn't seem as good to me as the ZHD.  I mostly use it for Apps and App Development purposes.  And most of my music is not in my iTunes so I'd have to convert and build my playlists which I'd rather avoid. 

Anyway, I'm pretty new to this forum and could use a little help putting together a portable rig -- all this amp/DAC stuff is new for me.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
  I'm thinking of setting myself up with my Zune HD, may I ask how you are connecting your D10 if you don't have an LOD?  Are you connecting directly to the HP? 

I have several mini/mini cables from Cardas, Moon Audio (blue version) and iBasso.  I tried a LOD that was built for a previous generation non-HD Zune that was not compatible.  I'm not aware of any other connection options at this time.

I would take a look at the iBasso D12.  It has a host of connection options and is very reasonably priced when compared to any RSA option.  The optical DAC is a great performer on the D10 and should be at least the same for the D12.  Opamp rolling with the iBasso is another feature that will let you create the "best" sound signature match for your listening preferences. 

I am equally satisfied with the RSA Predator.  It has an extraordinary soundstage that is warm, open and natural.  It has a 3 position gain toggle and more than ample volume to drive any high or low impedence phones.  It also has a USB DAC that I use with my laptop.  It's going to set you back a lot more $, but is a stellar performer.  As for your other choices, I can't offer you much feedback since I have no experience with any of them.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
I would take a look at the iBasso D12.  It has a host of connection options and is very reasonably priced when compared to any RSA option.  The optical DAC is a great performer on the D10 and should be at least the same for the D12.  Opamp rolling with the iBasso is another feature that will let you create the "best" sound signature match for your listening preferences. 

I am equally satisfied with the RSA Predator.  It has an extraordinary soundstage that is warm, open and natural.  It has a 3 position gain toggle and more than ample volume to drive any high or low impedence phones.  It also has a USB DAC that I use with my laptop.  It's going to set you back a lot more $, but is a stellar performer.  As for your other choices, I can't offer you much feedback since I have no experience with any of them.

Thanks, that is really helpful! I'll check into the D12, I'm not familiar with that one at all.  I am also now looking at the RSA Shadow which seems like it might be a nice option for my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back