A Pair of HP-1000's just went for $45.00 on Ebay!
Oct 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #21 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance
could they possibly be fake?

There are a lot of unscrupulous characters on eBay, knowing this from personal experience. One went so far as to even put up an entire fake shipping company website in great detail, and took it down after I said I had sent him the money for the Apple 30" LCD monitors, which of course I didn't. I'm not stupid, at least when it comes to eBay purchases. You can't buy a $2,500 monitor [at that time it was, now its $2,000] for $700 in brand new condition, in any country.

Chances are these headphones were picked up, like it states, at an auction, and they are missing lots of pieces. If they do work as good as they say, then it is worth it, of course, even to replace the screw and foam pads.
Then again, what would someone who searches for headphones like vintage Jetco at auctions know about audio fidelity? [don't shoot me for not knowing what Jetco's are] Aren't those for airline use or something? Maybe he just made a big mistake in not realizing what he was selling, and the person he bought them from made an even bigger mistake.

My guess is that they probably sound like crap, are completely worn out and the drivers are practically blown, but to the lamen, a pair of horrible top-notch Grado's may sound like music to his ears.

Best luck to whoever purchased them, but if they normally sell for $1,400, and you paid $45, you'll be lucky to get just a Grado shell, if really a Grado shell at all, with something like a pair of JVC headphone drivers installed inside. Think about something wisely like that before making a purchase. Things that are too good to be true, 99.9% of the time are! If you managed to get that lucky 0.01%, my hats off to you. If indeed others thought it would be a legit auction, there would have been a heck of a lot more bidders.

Think about it, guys.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 283
My goodness, that $45 price was a "Buy It Now"!

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
There are a lot of unscrupulous characters on eBay, knowing this from personal experience. One went so far as to even put up an entire fake shipping company website in great detail, and took it down after I said I had sent him the money for the Apple 30" LCD monitors, which of course I didn't. I'm not stupid, at least when it comes to eBay purchases. You can't buy a $2,500 monitor [at that time it was, now its $2,000] for $700 in brand new condition, in any country.

Chances are these headphones were picked up, like it states, at an auction, and they are missing lots of pieces. If they do work as good as they say, then it is worth it, of course, even to replace the screw and foam pads.
Then again, what would someone who searches for headphones like vintage Jetco at auctions know about audio fidelity? [don't shoot me for not knowing what Jetco's are] Aren't those for airline use or something? Maybe he just made a big mistake in not realizing what he was selling, and the person he bought them from made an even bigger mistake.

My guess is that they probably sound like crap, are completely worn out and the drivers are practically blown, but to the lamen, a pair of horrible top-notch Grado's may sound like music to his ears.

Best luck to whoever purchased them, but if they normally sell for $1,400, and you paid $45, you'll be lucky to get just a Grado shell, if really a Grado shell at all, with something like a pair of JVC headphone drivers installed inside. Think about something wisely like that before making a purchase. Things that are too good to be true, 99.9% of the time are! If you managed to get that lucky 0.01%, my hats off to you. If indeed others thought it would be a legit auction, there would have been a heck of a lot more bidders.

Think about it, guys.

However, Old ass metal headphones are alot diff than new LCD monitors. What we see as a treasure most people see as an old relic. Ask my Gf.
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
hahaha nice!!!

I sent the guy a message telling him I (and many others) would have bought them for $2500, then told him I hope that $50 goes to good use!

Firstly, $2500? You`re on your own.

Secondly, that wasn`t nice

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 283
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself to keep from getting sick. I know I am just fooling myself though so it isn't working all that well.

Quote:

Think about it, guys.

Again, this is what I keep telling myself to feel better that I didn't get them at that price, but it still isn't working...

There weren't a bunch of bids because the auction only ran for 15 minutes, and someone ended it early with a buy it now. I would have spent $200 for them even if there were no drivers in them AT ALL.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 283
Yeah okay, maybe they are worn-out pieces of s***, but what if they're not? How long has it been since the HP-1000 series was introduced? The odds are just as good, probably even better that those headphones could have been sitting in someone's closet for 10 years, and maybe the seller didn't really know the true value. If it was a scam, the buy it now would've been $1500, not $45. For $45, I would've been willing to take that risk. I find it a little curious that the price was equivalent to that of a used SR-60.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #30 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
hahaha nice!!!

I sent the guy a message telling him I (and many others) would have bought them for $2500, then told him I hope that $50 goes to good use!

That's a real jerk thing to do. What if you got lucky with a pair of headphones you normally couldn't afford, and someone did that? If the auctioneer puts up a buy it now, it means he/she would be HAPPY to get that price. So if the seller's happy, and the buyer's THRILLED, what's it to you? That's just completely spiteful. not to mention, NO ONE would pay $2500. $1300 maybe, $1500 if they're in great shape, but $2500 is utter BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back