A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Nov 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #166 of 355
It looks obvious that both brands get their amps from the same factory, but with some differences in spec, I believe both claim to be the originators of the design, so it's a moot point.
I have the newer Bravo version and at least I can say that the upgraded RCA connectors, which had been an issue of concern on their earlier version (same as Indeed?) is pretty solid and confidence inspiring, and my unit has no interference noise whatsoever regardless of where I put it in relation to computers and so on.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #168 of 355
Hey there folks. Looking at picking up this little bad boy, as it's very affordable and very attractive. I'm getting a pair of K601s and I don't want to go the pure tube route (i.e. little dot) but I like the hybrids. I've heard some conflicting opinions in this thread on power. Some have said it's ran their HD600s, 650s, etc. fine, other say it doesn't have enough power. Does anyone know if this will do an adequate job of powering the AKG K601s? Thanks a ton, folks!
k701smile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #170 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there folks. Looking at picking up this little bad boy, as it's very affordable and very attractive. I'm getting a pair of K601s and I don't want to go the pure tube route (i.e. little dot) but I like the hybrids. I've heard some conflicting opinions in this thread on power. Some have said it's ran their HD600s, 650s, etc. fine, other say it doesn't have enough power. Does anyone know if this will do an adequate job of powering the AKG K601s? Thanks a ton, folks!
k701smile.gif

Had a chance to try it (albeit the Bravo) with a pair of the 701s yesterday. It certainly had more than enough power to drive the AKGs to deafening volumes, and didn't sound too bad. It's not as detailed as you might like, but it's a decent starter amp.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #171 of 355
Nov 21, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #172 of 355
Ok, so I removed the blue and red LEDs from the board and in doing so I managed to damage part of a copper "raceway" on the board. I jumpered the damaged copper with some stranded wire and now the unit is operational. The sound has changed though. First and most obvious difference is that the gain had nearly been cut in half. Second is that the amp now sounds brighter and more detailed at the cost of less 'big warmth'.

Crazy, eh? The gain problem is I suspect directly related to the change in sound. Incredibly, this thing still has enough juice to power the HD600's to very loud levels. I've tried messing with the yellow pots but I have no multimeter and have only succeeded in altering the gain in minimal amounts.

Any info in restoring the amp to former SQ would be appreciated. Here's a pic.
moddedbravo.jpg

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #173 of 355
I think I've made a grave mistake.

You see, I picked-up my Indeed Hybrid at the post office early this am and I have been experimenting with only 4 of my tubes all day. I have 4 more in route, but I doubt that I'll ever listen to them barring a tubular disaster.

Stock tube: "Decent" is a great descriptor. From separation to freq response to overall presentation, "decent" comes to mind. This is after only 3 hours of burn-in on the 6N11.

NOS Mullard E88CC/01: 1 hour of burn-in produces very warm-sounding, great music. Everything is there, but there isn't any "preciseness' to it. If sound can be "too smooth" to show any real definition, this is it. I can see why Mullards are cherished as music tubes, but it's too dark for me. I may cook it for a day or two while I am at work to see if it changes any, but for now it's back in its 40 y/o box. My cMoyBB2.02 sounds similar, but cleaner.

Amperex Holland orange & white label (no globe / used) 6dj8: No high end, no low end, but very clean mids. Sterile sound, but extremely clear. One for the display case, but it's kinda ugly, too. Probably awesome in old military radios.

RCA 6922 (Made in Germany): My grave mistake. I don't think any other tube could ever sound this good. WIDE and spacious with incredible tight bass, sweet mids and crystalline highs. There is definition to every sound/note/effect. It makes my Zune sound like a stereo system from Patsy Cline to the Transformer soundtrack. I can see why these tubes go for ~$100. My 440s have been on my head for over 2 hours and I just hope that no one has burgled the house while I have sat here watching football and listening all afternoon. I don't know if it is a Siemens as I originally thought. The top has a large cross or X and there appears to be an 11 molded in the glass between the pins.Anybody got any idea of the maker? May be the best $20 I've spent in a long time...

I can't wait to try it with the S4s, but I don't want to get up, yet.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #174 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I removed the blue and red LEDs from the board and in doing so I managed to damage part of a copper "raceway" on the board. I jumpered the damaged copper with some stranded wire and now the unit is operational. The sound has changed though. First and most obvious difference is that the gain had nearly been cut in half. Second is that the amp now sounds brighter and more detailed at the cost of less 'big warmth'.

Crazy, eh? The gain problem is I suspect directly related to the change in sound. Incredibly, this thing still has enough juice to power the HD600's to very loud levels. I've tried messing with the yellow pots but I have no multimeter and have only succeeded in altering the gain in minimal amounts.

Any info in restoring the amp to former SQ would be appreciated. Here's a pic.

Maybe someone in the Bravo thread can help. Why'd you remove the leds? A dab of paint would have dimmed them a lot. The led in my BB202 is bright enough to use as a flashlight, so I put a piece of tape over it. Sometimes, low-tech answers are enough to fix whatever. That's why everybody owns duct tape...

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #175 of 355
I think I've decided on this amp, the K601s, and a AMB y1 DAC. I think I'll give a full-fledged review of this baby when I get it.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #176 of 355
Quick update:
I've got the Bravo back to good health with some better soldering skills, but the amp still lacks a little of the more than ample gain it originally had. Anyway, this guy really changes it's character with those yellow pots. It seems the right pot changes the overall tube gain of the entire amp, whereas the left pot almost acts as a tone/loudness control. If anything I like the sound more after tweaking for a slightly hotter treble.

Also, while the Bravo was under the weather I was constantly comparing it's SQ against plugging direct into the amb y1. I was very surprised by how little the sound changed. Direct from the DAC naturally sounded a bit more precise, but the Bravo was just a bit more veiled. The bass didn't even improve when using the amp + DAC. So much for all this 'night and day' business. I wish I had know just how exaggerated most people make their reviews.

BTW, I'm sorry if this does not apply to the Indeed amp. I'm assuming they are identical.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #177 of 355
Ashtray,
I think you should buy another stock one and don't mess with it. You practicaly killed this guy and then when you brought it back to life you were surprised it didn't sound good ? Most people don't take thier amps apart and resurrect them before posting "Exaggerate Reviews"

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #178 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ashtray,
I think you should buy another stock one and don't mess with it. You practicaly killed this guy and then when you brought it back to life you were surprised it didn't sound good ? Most people don't take thier amps apart and resurrect them before posting "Exaggerate Reviews"

Uh oh. Almost got suckered into this one.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #179 of 355
Granted, The stock amp with stock tubes is definitely nothig to write home about. It's not until you roll different tubes that the "Colour" and differences in tone and richness start to appear. Yes even the stock tube amp is a different SQ from a Solid State in most cases and here is where us beginners get to try our hand at "Tubing" for not much money.

I've had all of my Indeeds in different degrees of dis-assembly and I botched a few solder joints on the panel as well so I know the Veil of which you speak. Once I got to that point it was into the drawer for parts for that one. I should have clarified that I have four of them that work,but I have another two in pieces as well.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #180 of 355
Ashtray9,

You cannot just remove the red LED, it biases the transistor that supplies the current to the tube. You can reduce the current to the red Led so that it's colour is not so intrusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back