A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Nov 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #181 of 355
It appears that I have a grounding problem in the headphone jack. I'm in communication with Peter about this. Ahhh, bat $h1+!

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #182 of 355
Well, I took the dive on the Bravo unit. $30 + $16 shipping. Since I have an X-Can v8, I have plenty of tubes to throw at it, Siemens & Halske 6DJ8's, Sylvania Jan 6DJ8's, Tesla ECC88's, Russian 6N23P's, Telefunken ECC88's, etc., etc. Gonna try this in my needledrop system, a Linn Axis w/ Nagoaka MP-110 cart and Graham Slee Gram Amp II SE with HD-650's. A Musical Paradise MP-301 is what will eventually be the amp in this setup, but this little sucker was too cute (and too cheap) to pass up.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #184 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question: Anyone had any real quality control problems with this amp?

The headphone jack loses output if there's any slight movement and there is a perceptible hiss in the left channel.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #185 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone jack loses output if there's any slight movement and there is a perceptible hiss in the left channel.

I thought that I had initially had a grounding problem with my headphone jack as I had the same crackling/stopping output problem based on moving the plug/cord/etc. It became apparent that it was only happening when I used the plug adapter from Indeed. My 440s came with their own screw-on adapter that I started using (after a day of searching for it) and the problem disappeared. I've thrown the Indeed adapter away, as even my IEMs' plugs would wiggle inside the adapter. Definitely a weak link there...

I don't have a hiss, but I occasionally (intermittently, sporadically) get a very soft hum on the left. Comes and goes, and I wonder if it is due to the vagaries between using a cheap Chinese power adapter with 40-50 year old vacuum tubes.

I posed the original question about QC because it seems that the Bravo amp thread is more active because of faulty/failing component issues. Since the amp design is the same, the difference in component brands is apparently the only real difference in the two amps.

Does anyone know anything about the manufacturing side of these amps?

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #186 of 355
Hi all, first post.. so here goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Just ordered this little curiosity as my quad 34 has no headphone output
frown.gif

A couple of things struck me AFTER I pressed the bid button:

1) The power/smoothing cap is a 2200uF whereas on the bravo it seems to be a 6800uF cap Would this make a big difference in terms of bass handling? In my mind, when one starts to "crank the bug*er up" would the 2200u cap be man enough?

2) I spotted two trim pots on the PCB, resumably to set the bias. When valve swapping, do these need adjusment or would the bias cut-off be the same for most double triode valves of this family i.e. ecc88, e88cc, 6dj8, 6922 etc..

Thanks in advance for all opinion and help
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #187 of 355
Oh, also, forgot to say...
Would it be worth experimenting with a seperate cross-feed circuit or has this already been incorporated?
Im judging (probably incorectly) that the leds are across both channels hence allow cross feed? this may explain the change in sound reported by another poster when the leds were removed and the circuit bridged, alowing more cross feed?

Probably all wrong, im just eager to get this thing and have a propper look
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks all

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #188 of 355
There's no crossfeed, there aren't many amps that include a crossfeed circuit, and those that do aren't nearly as inexpensive as the Indeed/Bravo. If you play files from your computer you can do crossfeed in software, otherwise you could DIY a crossfeed circuit - the Meier audio website gives some details of how to do this. I only use crossfeed sparingly and mainly only for old stereo jazz recordings.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #189 of 355
Thanks Lecky, i had a little google and some quite interesting projects appeared. I might just have to try one
wink.gif

Just wondering if there is any concensus on the rolling issue? my musical tastes are eclectic from zappa to meshugga to mozart.

my setup is budget: dual 505-4 tt > quad 34 preamp > senn hd515. would i notice a great difference through valve swapping considering my setup?

Thanks again all
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #190 of 355
The difference I got was not very big but significant and absolutely worthwhile. Of course I have different kit than yours and different tubes will have different effects etc...

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #191 of 355
thanks,
All of my kit was put into storage as i didnt have any room, thats why im going down the HP route. I'm waiting for my tt at the mo (fleebay). come to think of it im still waiting for the Indeed. I've ordered a replacement stylus as the one on the tt is prolly shot anyway...

Once i get everything (before crimbo hopefully) i'll be able to properly think about which direction to take.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #192 of 355
I've had my Indeed for about six months or so, just read through this thread though.

I like mine a lot, but with my HD600s it gives me a headache, with two of my best, yet very different, sources. I think that:

a) I need to upgrade from the stock HD600 cable to Cardas or whatever, and
b) I just ordered a NOS JAN-Sylvania 7308 tube to replace the "Peking" 9611

So I'm looking forward to that, and that will be about for modding it as I stay away from circuit boards personally. I will solder wires and connectors, but... the attenuator project sounds good, anyways.

Anyways, I want to share my QC issues; the main thing that I noticed is there is an overall "handle with care" to this thing, from the power up/down instructions (can't have any source volume going) to the connectors themselves, as you don't want to disturb this thing while it's in operation.

The one issue I have is that the 1/4" jack is very picky, as I cannot get both channels to work properly with my Neutrik-terminated Canare headphone extension cable; it works fine with my Senns and Grados directly though, and my Planet Waves extensions.

And when it finds a permanent, non-stopgap home it will definitely get velcro'd to the surface it sits on, because this little amp is very light, and the Planet Waves connectors are quite heavy. The connectors like to tilt the amp off it's axis, making it stand on one edge, or threatening to scoot it off the table entirely
devil_face.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #193 of 355
My sense of the Bravo with my HD580 (basically similar to HD600) is that the highs are a bit harsh, the mids a bit lacking and the bass is fun but not beautifully controlled - in short these seem to be the things people ascribe to underpowering HD580/600s, and indeed when I use a more powerful amp the highs become smoother and prettier, the mids get their weight and the bass tightens up. So whilst my HD580s sound perfectly nice with the Bravo, it's not really allowing them to do what they can and should do.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #194 of 355
^ Time for you to roll some tubes, lecky.

^^ If that Sylvania Jan 7308 is a good tube, you should really enjoy the difference. My 1/4" adapter was the pits and I threw it away.

My experience with the stock 6N11 is that it is really just mediocre. A nice A frame with a dimpled disk is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back