A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Dec 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #211 of 355
A lot of tube rolling going on, but has anybody changed the output caps? My Indeed came with Elna RJJ's. Not exactly audio quality. I have some SILMICII's and Nichicon MUSE's lying around. It looks like a tight fit diameter wise, but might be possible, and I would have to find some taller posts to raise the top about 1/4 inch. Anybody tried this?

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #212 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd1949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of tube rolling going on, but has anybody changed the output caps? My Indeed came with Elna RJJ's. Not exactly audio quality. I have some SILMICII's and Nichicon MUSE's lying around. It looks like a tight fit diameter wise, but might be possible, and I would have to find some taller posts to raise the top about 1/4 inch. Anybody tried this?

good idea..but i think you dont need to raise the top, just make a precise neat hole where the caps located, i think its behind the tube amp right?

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #213 of 355
No, not the power cap, the two 1000uf signal output caps. They are located near the edge of hte board and larger diameter ones for at least one of them would probably stick about 1/8 inch over the board and to the edge of the plexy, ruling out (I think) cutting a hole. I'd rather just raise it (or find some other, smaller, decent caps).

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #214 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that true of all class A components? As I had music playing through it as I burned my Bravo in, but I didnt need to?

Unlike class AB where one tube/valve amplifies all +ve parts of the signal and another (identical) one amplifies all -ve parts. Class A should (in theory
smily_headphones1.gif
) burn it's self in as it uses a single valve/tube to amplify both +ve and -ve parts of the signal.

In order to do this, the valve/tube in class A needs to be biased (idealy) @ roughly half it's total voltage (in order to be as linear as possible in its response).

So, (without knowing much about the circuit or the valve/tube data sheet) the valve/tube would be drawing considerable current without a signal applied. Class A is the most inefficient form of amplification because of this.

If anyone has a good reason why applying a signal would help please post, I'm always willing to learn
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #216 of 355
Quote:

No, not the power cap, the two 1000uf signal output caps. They are located near the edge of hte board and larger diameter ones for at least one of them would probably stick about 1/8 inch over the board and to the edge of the plexy, ruling out (I think) cutting a hole. I'd rather just raise it (or find some other, smaller, decent caps).

Whats wrong with the Elnas?

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #217 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Senn HD515's (50Ohm (budjet but ok)) are quite over powered by this amp and i am in the process of devising an attenuator.

I have the exact same issue with the Alessandro ms1i. I am very interested in the attenuator you are working on. Please let me know what you come up with.

Thanks,
Tony

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #218 of 355
Quote:

Whats wrong with the Elnas?

Nothing, they are good capacitors. I try to spend more time listening to it and less time worrying about changing glad to happy. I would just mess it up it I started unsoldering stuff like perfectly good capacitors. Likely to lift a pad.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #219 of 355
Quote:

Unlike class AB where one tube/valve amplifies all +ve parts of the signal and another (identical) one amplifies all -ve parts. Class A should (in theory
smily_headphones1.gif
) burn it's self in as it uses a single valve/tube to amplify both +ve and -ve parts of the signal.

In order to do this, the valve/tube in class A needs to be biased (idealy) @ roughly half it's total voltage (in order to be as linear as possible in its response).

So, (without knowing much about the circuit or the valve/tube data sheet) the valve/tube would be drawing considerable current without a signal applied. Class A is the most inefficient form of amplification because of this.

If anyone has a good reason why applying a signal would help please post, I'm always willing to learn
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah right, I dont understand the theory but thank you for the answer

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #220 of 355
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

the tube is in the driver stage, the output stage is mosfet class A

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #222 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody knows how to tweak this beautiful tiny amp to excelently drive AKG K701 or Beyer DT880 600 ohm?
smily_headphones1.gif

The K701s are a very good match with my "rolled" Indeed. I have not had the pleasure of auditioning the DT880s, but they may be too detailed/efficient in the high end from what I have read like my HD600s? Then again they are 600 ohm, so maybe.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #223 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701s are a very good match with my "rolled" Indeed. I have not had the pleasure of auditioning the DT880s, but they may be too detailed/efficient in the high end from what I have read like my HD600s? Then again they are 600 ohm, so maybe.

it didnt answer my question. i asked about how to 'tweak' this amp, meaning what kind of modding should give significant sound difference to the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #224 of 355
Nothing's wrong with the Elna's, but Elna doesn't recommend using them in an audio signal path. There are better audio quality caps that might offer an improvement for less money than buying a high priced tube, or for that matter, why buy a better tube and mask it with a cap not designed for audio?

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #225 of 355
Quote:

Nothing's wrong with the Elna's, but Elna doesn't recommend using them in an audio signal path. There are better audio quality caps that might offer an improvement for less money than buying a high priced tube, or for that matter, why buy a better tube and mask it with a cap not designed for audio?

There's always eBay.ph: 4PCS Nichicon MUSE KZ Audio Capacitor 1000uF 25V NEW (item 250505140694 end time Jan 25, 2010 22:40:50 PHT)

It would be interesting to know the difference, Nichicon do several caps in the "Muse" range. Try "Nichicon muse 1000uf" in google. (interesting, the packaging is aklmost identicle to the Elana's) Also, it seems the RJJ spec is a high reliablity thing. beyond that i have no idea what a cap change might offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back