A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Oct 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #106 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I'm sure it was brought up before, but that's a Sijosae MHHA v3.0 (Multi-Hybrid Headphone Amp). As far as I know, Sijosae is in Korea, not China, guess somebody else building them with his design.

The Indeed listing on eBay states:
D/ We are the original designer; it sell hundreds and 100% positive feedback in history!

Variation on a theme, perhaps? Without analyzing the schematics, who knows?

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #107 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to play with it, especially once I learn how to solder. I get a Tim Taylor urge when I think about how simple it would be to add bigger! better! components for pretty cheap.

Sorry if this has been covered, but what components would you replace, and what would be the expected change in sound quality?

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #108 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn it, I feel ripped off at $46 plus shipping now. Oh well.

From 25 to 50+... Weekends are not the best apparent time to bid for one. My Indeed was 42. I may have that much invested in old tubes before it gets here... I can't wait to experiment with it.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #109 of 355
I have four total so far. Two running as dual mono in my portable briefcase DIY rig, one in my Ipod dock fake book desktop, and one in a Craftsman toolbag for that "Man bag" portable look. They are great fun but nothing to write home about. The EF-2 pretty much smokes the Indeed and the Maverick has more power than both the Indeed and EF-2. put together. Great for DIY fun but that's about it. Good to see them going cheaper now. I paid 69.00 plus shipping back when they first appeared on the scene.

dsc1189.jpg

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #110 of 355
I ordered a Bravo. What puzzles me is how you get a 6DJ8/6922/7308/6N11 tube to run on 24 volts DC. I must be misunderstanding something.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #112 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have four total so far. Two running as dual mono in my portable briefcase DIY rig, one in my Ipod dock fake book desktop, and one in a Craftsman toolbag for that "Man bag" portable look. They are great fun but nothing to write home about. The EF-2 pretty much smokes the Indeed and the Maverick has more power than both the Indeed and EF-2. put together. Great for DIY fun but that's about it. Good to see them going cheaper now. I paid 69.00 plus shipping back when they first appeared on the scene.

Rolled any tubes?

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #114 of 355
Quote:

The Jan Sylvania 7308's are about the only ones better than the stock.

What other tubes have you tried?

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #116 of 355
Quote:

The EF-2 pretty much smokes the Indeed and the Maverick has more power than both the Indeed and EF-2. put together.

Can you elaborate on this three-way comparison? I'm looking to upgrade from my Indeed amp.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #117 of 355
The EF2 is a higher quality Tube/SS hybrid so you get the flavour of the tubes but then some power from the soldid state section. The EF2 also uses two 6 pin tubes (Ihave Mullards in thier now) and are easier to find thatn the Indeed 6922/7308's. The Maverick is different in that it is amuch more powerful Solid state and Tube Preamp side by side in the same unit. the Headphone out of the Maverick does not go through the tube section,rather the tube section is dedicated to the tube pre-outs. Aslo bot the EF2 and the Mav have onboard DACs. IMHO the DACs ageneraly OK but nothing High end. I bit better than my Realtech onboard soundcard, but not by much.
I have the Indeeds to play around with but won't turn to them for any future amp projects. The Tube/Hybrids with DAC are the way for me now as I like the flavour of the tubes but have low impedence cans which straight tube amps don't like much. (They don't like running on low power) Your Senns will need more power than anything less than the Maverick,Zero, or Compass can give them.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #118 of 355
Quote:

The Maverick is different in that it is amuch more powerful Solid state and Tube Preamp side by side in the same unit. the Headphone out of the Maverick does not go through the tube section,rather the tube section is dedicated to the tube pre-outs.

Have you tried this on the Maverick:
Computer->USB->Tube pre-out->Analog audio in->Headphone out->Headphones

ie utilizing the USB DAC, tube buffer as well as the headphone out. Is this possible?

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #119 of 355
Yes. I ran standard and tube pre-out from the Mav to the analog RCA input of the EF2 and found no difference from the EF2 alone save a bit more volume. The tube in the maverick did open up a bit after some burn in but still not worth using both over just the EF2

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #120 of 355
Ultimately this would be my recommendation for your next step, given the Senns in your sig.

100-200 USD Zero Dac/Amp w/ HDAM upgrade
200-400 USD Audio GD Compass with the same HDAM upgrades to siut you taste.

If you want tubes, I think you would require something with a bit of power

Darkvoice 336 is the first that comes to mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back