A master DAC killer, SMSL SU-X
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #61 of 81
I feel for ya. CHIFI stuff is known for their quality problems and poor customer service. I only buy stuff sub 500 bucks stuff incase it’s a “life lesson“. My amp/dac gears are Schiit stuff due to good reputation and strong warranty. Surprisingly there is no feedback sounds or noise from their gears. The sound quality is amazing so I’m done with the source gear hunt. I pursue sound quality and not technology so Schiit stuff that works well after 8+ years is perfect for me.

I don’t believe any of the charts and hyped up impression CHIFI gears, unless it’s cheap enough. Hope you got warranty on it so you can return the dac.

The only tech gear you should look into are Streamers. That’s likely where innovation will happen most. My WiiM pro is pretty awesome.
thanks for sharing, my friend. I get zealous sometimes (most times) and make poor decisions :)
Update: they are accepting my return, for exchange and will refund the shipping.. my only concern is that if I get a new unit, it will be defective also.. I asked if they offer a refund, since it an option in their policy

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #62 of 81
hifigo.com confirmed that they will give me a refund if I request it. So the story ends well.. I will likely opt for the exchange as I feel confidence in the merchant and really want this DAC even though this particular unit SU-X

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #63 of 81
one note, the package for the SU-X does not come with USB-C to USB-C cables, only USB-C to USB.. Makes me wonder if they ever tested it with USB-C to USB-C. Wonder if they are not handling the USB-C port power that comes off from PCs. If they only expect to plug into USB ports on the PC, then what is the point of having the USB-C port in the DAC in the first place.. BTW, the EverSolo DAC-Z8 has no problem with USB-C to USB-C

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #64 of 81
Yea better check with them before you go plugging that into a PC.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #67 of 81
Will you change Pre90 to this?
To get matching set.

Nah, I'm not too concerned about matching. Also to be honest the Topping A70 Pro seems like the better value because it's $200 less and more powerful.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #68 of 81
dont mean to hijack this thread, but here is my update on my experience with the SU-X and hifigo.com.. They agreed to refund me for it upon receipt, The problem is, they are only gonna reimburse me $30 for the shipping costs back to china, meanwhile, the garbage USPS charged me 100 bucks (cheapest rate). So obviously there is a lesson learned here.. Its a great experience as long as nothing goes wrong.. then you're F'd.. hope the lesson only costs me $70 ad doesn't get more expensive once the DAC is received by SMSL where they might decide to blame me for mishandling or misusing it or whatever.. Ill come back and hijack this thread again in a couple of weeks, when they are supposedly scheduled to receive the box.. wish me luck

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #69 of 81
dont mean to hijack this thread, but here is my update on my experience with the SU-X and hifigo.com.. They agreed to refund me for it upon receipt, The problem is, they are only gonna reimburse me $30 for the shipping costs back to china, meanwhile, the garbage USPS charged me 100 bucks (cheapest rate). So obviously there is a lesson learned here.. Its a great experience as long as nothing goes wrong.. then you're F'd.. hope the lesson only costs me $70 ad doesn't get more expensive once the DAC is received by SMSL where they might decide to blame me for mishandling or misusing it or whatever.. Ill come back and hijack this thread again in a couple of weeks, when they are supposedly scheduled to receive the box.. wish me luck
Hifigo has a warehouse in USA, yet they made you ship back to China? That SUX. Smsl is known for horrible customer service, hope they don't screw you over. Good luck and thanks for sharing your experience.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #70 of 81

Sorry to hear that. That's the downside with Chi-Fi - you get top tier performance in a relatively low cost package, but if something goes wrong then it's a disaster. When I don't want to deal with that, I go with JDS Labs or Schiit. I hope your return and refund go smoothly from here.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #72 of 81
Quick update but I'm now in the same boat as LASTTRIBUNAL! I bought mine from shenzhenaudio, hopefully they pull through. I'm asking for a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back