A master DAC killer, SMSL SU-X
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #46 of 81
Mine just came in the other day. I don't plan to play around with the coloration options, I just put it on linear fast and fixed output and leave it at that. Like this it's flawless; no background noise, flat frequency response, no issues with USB input, just the most honest D/A conversion there is. Nice and compact for a top performer too, despite the dual linear power supplies. I think even the ES9038PRO DACs might have the signature Sabre IMD hump but to an inaudible degree in the good ones, however I think that's totally fixed with ES9039PRO. My biggest complaint is the lack of rounded edges.
May i ask for a sound comparison with one of your previous dac?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #47 of 81
May i ask for a sound comparison with one of your previous dac?

I'm not the best test subject for this since I use DSP controlled monitors, so for me the DAC and a preamp are just a way to get proper volume control opposed to controlling volume in playback software. With neutral filters selected, any good DAC will sound the same here.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #48 of 81
I'm not the best test subject for this since I use DSP controlled monitors, so for me the DAC and a preamp are just a way to get proper volume control opposed to controlling volume in playback software. With neutral filters selected, any good DAC will sound the same here.

I have to ask: so why spend $1K on this (or any) high-end DAC?

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 81
Pursuit of 'best quality' / 'most natural' sound from digital sources. For some, attainment is < $1K; others, $1K; others still, > $1K .... Why? Each audio / music enthusiast is different. 🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #51 of 81
I think a SUX Schiit stack would pair nicely

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #52 of 81
I think a SUX Schiit stack would pair nicely

Good point, not sure why I didn't think of that. Too bad Schiit isn't written on the front.

PXL_20240105_224420945.jpg

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #53 of 81

I spent a good chunk of change on my RME ADI-2 FS due to the ridiculous amount of features it offers. Pretty much anything you want to do with a DAC EQ or functionality wise you can do. This was before they released the application that lets you control it from your computer. Now you can import EQ profiles if you don't want to deal with EQ on your PC. It also has a very nice headphone jack as well.

The RME ADI-2 FS might be the single best device if you want high end headphone audio.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 81
I suspect that initially DAC has issues with reliability converting digital to analog signals so there would be background noise and signal losses. The expensive DACs is to have gear that can do it well. But then people wanted more features than just coverting so now you have 1k+, then brand cost then it’s 2k+, new tech 3k+, inflation 4k+, bull crap marketing reason 10k+.

I recalled a post I saw before of a very expensive DAC (10k+) but a Reddit or picture post pointed out the revolutionary chips they were advertising in their product can be bought on aliexpress for 20 dollars each.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #56 of 81
I suspect that initially DAC has issues with reliability converting digital to analog signals so there would be background noise and signal losses. The expensive DACs is to have gear that can do it well. But then people wanted more features than just coverting so now you have 1k+, then brand cost then it’s 2k+, new tech 3k+, inflation 4k+, bull crap marketing reason 10k+.

I recalled a post I saw before of a very expensive DAC (10k+) but a Reddit or picture post pointed out the revolutionary chips they were advertising in their product can be bought on aliexpress for 20 dollars each.

Yeah, all the best performing DACs are off the shelf ICs. Boutique audio brands making their own DAC circuits don't generally have the engineering resources to make something that performs as well as what ESS Tech and AKM specialize in, and among those brands very few even come anywhere close (Chord does).

I'm guessing that >$10k DAC you mention is one of the Bricasti M1 variants, which I have. The SE and S2 cost that much, both use two Analog Devices AD1955s which are very old and obsolete now, granted they perform fine, but far from the best and they are most likely the performance bottleneck in this DAC. AD1955 is currently around $20 for one on Mouser. Those are also 2-channel DACs that it runs in mono mode, while the SU-X / D90 III Sabre use two 8-channel DACs for better performance. Newer stuff costs a bit more: the ESS Sabre ES9039PRO variants (the SU-X uses two of them, D400ES uses one) go for around $90 a piece.

1704985305955.png

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #57 of 81
Yeah, all the best performing DACs are off the shelf ICs. Boutique audio brands making their own DAC circuits don't generally have the engineering resources to make something that performs as well as what ESS Tech and AKM specialize in, and among those brands very few even come anywhere close (Chord does).

I'm guessing that >$10k DAC you mention is one of the Bricasti M1 variants, which I have. The SE and S2 cost that much, both use two Analog Devices AD1955s which are very old and obsolete now, granted they perform fine, but far from the best and they are most likely the performance bottleneck in this DAC. AD1955 is currently around $20 for one on Mouser. Those are also 2-channel DACs that it runs in mono mode, while the SU-X / D90 III Sabre use two 8-channel DACs for better performance. Newer stuff costs a bit more: the ESS Sabre ES9039PRO variants (the SU-X uses two of them, D400ES uses one) go for around $90 a piece.

1704985305955.png
With all of these DACs, is there noticeable difference in sound quality?

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #58 of 81
With all of these DACs, is there noticeable difference in sound quality?

None that I can identify in blind testing. Unless maybe I switch on some super slow, gentle reconstruction filters on just one of them but I haven't tried that.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #59 of 81
I just got this SMSL SU-X from china seveal hours ago,. was really excited .. plugged into my laptop USB-C, powered on... and within 5 minutes, the screen shut off and the dac went dead. does not start up, nothing. I am now sending 100 emails back and forth with hifigo.com (where I bought it)
They are asking for videos, and for me to switch out power cables and outlets and etc. Starting to get annoyed.. I have a half a dozen premium DACs, including the EverSolo DAC-Z8, Teac UD-503-B and Cambridge Azur 851D, and nothing like this ever happened. Makes me regret buying a chinese brand directly from china.. 1000 bucks is not petty cash to risk losing...
will keep updating this post...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #60 of 81
I feel for ya. CHIFI stuff is known for their quality problems and poor customer service. I only buy stuff sub 500 bucks stuff incase it’s a “life lesson“. My amp/dac gears are Schiit stuff due to good reputation and strong warranty. Surprisingly there is no feedback sounds or noise from their gears. The sound quality is amazing so I’m done with the source gear hunt. I pursue sound quality and not technology so Schiit stuff that works well after 8+ years is perfect for me.

I don’t believe any of the charts and hyped up impression CHIFI gears, unless it’s cheap enough. Hope you got warranty on it so you can return the dac.

The only tech gear you should look into are Streamers. That’s likely where innovation will happen most. My WiiM pro is pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back