A master DAC killer, SMSL SU-X
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 81
Source: as a follow up to popular SH-9, SMSL to release a master killer AMP, SH-IT.
With 69 DAC chips and 420 discrete opamps.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #32 of 81
As fun as I am finding this thread to be, I think I'm gonna tap out before I earn myself a ban.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #33 of 81
Topping should release a successor of their LA-90 amp: LA-X
Please :beerchug:

So we can get an end-game setup: SU-X > LA-X

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 81
My guy. This is what the market needs. Active Stereo Spectrum Telemetry Overclocked Maximum Overarching Unity Topology Hypercores will be the next wave.
giphy43.gif

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #35 of 81
Dec 28, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 81
What's odd about SMSL and Topping rolling out higher-end stuff is that they're starting to contradict their raison d'être in their own marketing. The whole budget Chi-Fi methodology held that if cheapo resistors and chips measure as well as primo resistors and ladder decks, then the "high-end dual op-amps and a large number of audio-grade components" (that presumably jack the price of the SU-X) DON'T SOUND BETTER. And, if the numbers of a dinky wall-wart DAC are better than that of a high-end DAC with a luxurious separate linear power supply, then POWER SUPPLIES DON'T SOUND BETTER. And if all the galvanic isolation, multiple chips, external clocks DON'T SOUND BETTER according to the measurement philosophy, then what, exactly is their philosophy of sound quality now? That it ISN'T quantifiable? That the putative quality of the components IS a factor in the quality of reproduced sound? As a business model, doesn't that inevitably lead away from your products to, say, Holo and companies like that?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 81
Great design = great measurements.
Further improvements can be had with high end components.
Most of the Western companies = Poor design, but high end components.
In my opinion Western companies either gonna improve their design and pricing or they gonna be overtaken by Chinese companies who put way more resources into research.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #38 of 81
They have the economic advantage of cheap goods and low cost logistics. Obviously they can price their goods cheaper than US made ones. If we improve our design, they just make it cheaper there and copy what we do. That’s a never ending problem.

However, I do find that we have something they don’t. We do innovate and focus our products on specialized sound signatures and quality rather than chase after the newest Chipset. I can see why Schiit will never do Streamers in this kind of environment.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #39 of 81
They have the economic advantage of cheap goods and low cost logistics. Obviously they can price their goods cheaper than US made ones. If we improve our design, they just make it cheaper there and copy what we do. That’s a never ending problem.

However, I do find that we have something they don’t. We do innovate and focus our products on specialized sound signatures and quality rather than chase after the newest Chipset. I can see why Schiit will never do Streamers in this kind of environment.
Western Didnt inovate anything dacs and amps department...
Fancy buzzwords and hand waving and selling fantasies is not inovation.
Headphones and speakers yes West are far ahead, but in electronics departement you can only find something good if youre willing to pay crazy pricies.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #40 of 81
Headphones and speakers yes West are far ahead, but in electronics departement you can only find something good if youre willing to pay crazy pricies.

The only exception I'll take to this is some Schiit products. They're doing a great job actually updating/improving their designs while remaining competitive with Chifi prices.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #41 of 81
Following this thread strictly for comedic comments.

I firmly resisted being the first comment. I wanted to walk a higher path.

The first comment that never was:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #42 of 81
Seriously though. $1k for a well-engineered DAC is nothing.

Let em have a crack at that market where people shell out the big bucks for nonsense.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #44 of 81
Ah, yes. SMSL SU-X. That tracks. The Amp version is the SMSL R0-X. SMSL may have a personality disorder.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #45 of 81
hi guys, any impressions yet? SMSL implement the 9038pro quite well in the su-10 i'm hoping they do as good a job or better with the su-X

Mine just came in the other day. I don't plan to play around with the coloration options, I just put it on linear fast and fixed output and leave it at that. Like this it's flawless; no background noise, flat frequency response, no issues with USB input, just the most honest D/A conversion there is. Nice and compact for a top performer too, despite the dual linear power supplies. I think even the ES9038PRO DACs might have the signature Sabre IMD hump but to an inaudible degree in the good ones, however I think that's totally fixed with ES9039PRO. My biggest complaint is the lack of rounded edges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back