A master DAC killer, SMSL SU-X
Dec 26, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 81
This absurd situation is getting out of control. What the actual F? 1grand for an ESS dac that literally has no redeemable feature/functionality to justify the price!? And I thought Topping D90 III’s Price was Funny… seriously guys, Don’t we have already saturated market with “super accurate”, “true to signal”, “does wonders” and all IC-based DACs from smsl? Seeing product page emphasizing on MQA, well yeah it adds up. ESS+MQA = 1Kilobuck, exactly what everyone demanded. Also That front panel doesn’t look so stack friendly.
I have to agree. SMSL, Topping, etc, made their names by offering superb measured performance for a low price.

What’s the point in buying an SMSL DAC for $1,000 if you can get an SMSL DAC for $250 and they both measure completely clean beyond the limits of audibility?

If SMSL or Topping really wants to make some waves and make a “must-have” product, how about replicating the RME ADI-2 DAC for half the price? Even better, allow more bands of PEQ and have it all adjustable via a web-app instead of having to use fiddly on-device controls.

Do that and they’d have an absolute sales blockbuster.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #18 of 81
Following this thread strictly for comedic comments.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #19 of 81
I have to agree. SMSL, Topping, etc, made their names by offering superb measured performance for a low price.

What’s the point in buying an SMSL DAC for $1,000 if you can get an SMSL DAC for $250 and they both measure completely clean beyond the limits of audibility?

If SMSL or Topping really wants to make some waves and make a “must-have” product, how about replicating the RME ADI-2 DAC for half the price? Even better, allow more bands of PEQ and have it all adjustable via a web-app instead of having to use fiddly on-device controls.

Exactly. Spamming market with the same thing in different form factors and different price bracket. I know that these days, a 1K dac may not sound crazy expensive, but if they want me to pay 1Grand for a DAC that I can have its Sonic performance in 200-300$ unites, they should offer something more than some random fancy self-praising words that otherwise you won’t put on your cheaper products’ description page. I’m not expecting them to go R2R or offer their own topology, after all smsl and Topping always have focused on measurement oriented stuff. but Least thing they should do if they ask for such price, is to offer solutions, providing more personalizable digital signal with good QoL as you mentioned. It’s just my personal take, I don’t even eq myself, but I sure can appreciate fantastic devices like RME ADI-2 and since they are not particularly cheap!, I bet a product that offers those capabilities for thinner wallets, would develop pretty high demand. IF they have knowledge and sophisticated engineering to produce that sort of complex and comprehensive product, is another story though

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 81
Following this thread strictly for comedic comments.

So you're waiting for the SU-X Binary Audio Lossless Loudness System?

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 81
So you're waiting for the SU-X Binary Audio Lossless Loudness System?
Only if it natively supports my Dynamic Imaging Control Keypad.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 81
Smsl option have dual linear power supply, one for digital and other for analog, does topping d90 III have two linear power supply too?
No it do not. D90iii circuit board doesn't look changed at all other than the new DAC chips. The SU-X vs SU-10 has changed a bit it looks like, especially around the power supply's. Think I will order one.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #27 of 81

The issue for me is that the life cycle requires cutting out options but that's the business model.

VMV D2R, VMV D1SE2, SU-X (1k)

D400PRO, D400ES, D400EX, D300, SU10,

SU-9PRO, SU-9n, SU-9, SU-6, DL300, DL200, M500MK2, M300SE, DO400, DO300EX, DO300, DO200MK2, DO200, DO100, D12, D-6, C200, C100,

SANAKRIT 10TH MK3.

Thats 27 DAC's from $1k down to $112 all competing with themselves and other affordable solutions. Could probably trim that stable and focus on maybe Sub 200, Sub 400, around 600, around 800, at 1k and have 5 great measuring/sounding units that doesn't leave consumers feeling they just bought something replaceable.

Hell, even doubling up for the "PRO" units which have built in head amps thats still 10 units vs 27.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 81
Only if it natively supports my Dynamic Imaging Control Keypad.

Support is one thing, but will it be any good at it? You have to remember this is the enthusiast market. If you want something that effortlessly switches between Advanced Stereo Spectrum, Dynamic Imaging Control Key, and Binary Audio Lossless Loudness System, you really should be thinking Pro.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 81
Support is one thing, but will it be any good at it? You have to remember this is the enthusiast market. If you want something that effortlessly switches between Advanced Stereo Spectrum, Dynamic Imaging Control Key, and Binary Audio Lossless Loudness System, you really should be thinking Pro.
My guy. This is what the market needs. Active Stereo Spectrum Telemetry Overclocked Maximum Overarching Unity Topology Hypercores will be the next wave.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #30 of 81
Source: as a follow up to popular SH-9, SMSL to release a master killer AMP, SH-IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back