A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,266 of 3,124
Given that the original Alien was FFR, and that I heard absolutely no hiss from my PFE232's connected (even on wickedly high volumes) I am not sure I would notice a slightest bit of difference in the Gold Edition. That is unless they tweaked the FFR, which they shouldn't.

In terms of hiss and noise, the original was spookly quiet imo. You could put yer IEMs in ears, switch on, and be fooled to thinking the thing was bust as you got no noise whatsoever to signal that it was even on! No bumps, clicks or anything! Then the music started playing to ease those anxieties... hehe.

So yeh to lower it (noise) even further sounds utterly insane to me, like how can it go lower than what I have experienced lol.

I am really just looking at the Gold as a slightly different original version, sound wise I am pretty convinced there will be little to nothing in it, and those hunting for a difference will be more than likely tricked by what they are hearing, subtle differences are very hard to trust when it comes to purely subjective hearing. If the listener believes there will be a sound difference between the two, then they will most likely report as such, if a listener doesn't believe there is a difference, then that is what will be reported.

While I am usually quite agreeable I can not agree. While I am willing to look past the aliens hissing because I love it's form and sound quality, lowering he noise floor is a huge bonus in my eyes.

As I own the regular alien I don't think I will spend the $300au or whatever it is on the gold one. But that is only because I don't currently have &300 to spend. On an incremental upgrade when I don't currently have a nice pair of iems or headphones so I am saving my pennies.

I don't think there will be a huge difference between the two in sound it's self. And I hope there isn't tbh.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,268 of 3,124
While I am usually quite agreeable I can not agree. While I am willing to look past the aliens hissing because I love it's form and sound quality, lowering he noise floor is a huge bonus in my eyes.

As I own the regular alien I don't think I will spend the $300au or whatever it is on the gold one. But that is only because I don't currently have &300 to spend. On an incremental upgrade when I don't currently have a nice pair of iems or headphones so I am saving my pennies.

I don't think there will be a huge difference between the two in sound it's self. And I hope there isn't tbh.

So wait... what are you saying? That you find the original Alien has a fair amount of hiss? What IEMs do you pair/use?

For me the real clincher in evaluating the hiss of the Alien came when I tried using my Yamaha EPH100's. On several Cowon DAPs (namely the i9+ and C2) the hiss they put out is bordering on unlistenable. When compared to using the PFE 232's on the aforementioned DAPs the hiss is there but manageable.
When using the same 'hissy' Yamaha's on the Alien they were (to my surprise) as clear and black as the PFE 232's, not a hiss to be heard! They also sound very good indeed, pretty hard to decipher between the PFE 232's tbh, which is pretty rad considering they are are/were around a 6th of the price of the 232's.

So i could only conclude that the Cowon's were the problem, not necessarily the EPH100's, and that if they play well with the Alien then the Alien is indeed a good DAP for low noise.

Sigh. Even if I disagree I kinda agree. Damn it

and lol... :D

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,269 of 3,124

So wait... what are you saying? That you find the original Alien has a fair amount of hiss? What IEMs do you pair/use?

For me the real clincher in evaluating the hiss of the Alien came when I tried using my Yamaha EPH100's. On several Cowon DAPs (namely the i9+ and C2) the hiss they put out is bordering on unlistenable. When compared to using the PFE 232's on the aforementioned DAPs the hiss is there but manageable.
When using the same 'hissy' Yamaha's on the Alien they were (to my surprise) as clear and black as the PFE 232's, not a hiss to be heard! They also sound very good indeed, pretty hard to decipher between the PFE 232's tbh, which is pretty rad considering they are are/were around a 6th of the price of the 232's.

So i could only conclude that the Cowon's were the problem, not necessarily the EPH100's, and that if they play well with the Alien then the Alien is indeed a good DAP for low noise.

Yeah I am guessing thats what I am saying.
I heard hiss using:
Noble Savant
ASG 2.5
IE800
ALO Lyra
UM Mentor

I did not hear hiss with my Tralucent Ref1's, well not enough to bother me.
Also hiss is one of those things.  While all of those hissed for me I was more than willing to put up with it due to the advantages of using the Alien (Sound and portability).

All this being said I know there are a lot worse sources out there for hiss.

I would just love to see a hiss free Alien is all :)
Sadly I prefer the brushed look over the new look.  But the gold would go nicely with some of my other bling gear :p

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,270 of 3,124

As I own the regular alien I don't think I will spend the $300au or whatever it is on the gold one. But that is only because I don't currently have

For me the real clincher in evaluating the hiss of the Alien came when I tried using my Yamaha EPH100's. On several Cowon DAPs (namely the i9+ and C2) the hiss they put out is bordering on [COLOR=222222]unlistenable[/COLOR]. When compared to using the PFE 232's on the aforementioned DAPs the hiss is there but manageable.

Sigh. Even if I disagree I kinda agree. Damn it

Oh, No. I ordered Yam Eph100 last week and it is on its way. Didn't know it is hissy. :frowning2:

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,271 of 3,124
I am newbie and this can a dumb question. I guess that Alien does not have dedicated line out. What happens if I connect with external amp by connecting using 3.5mm male to male short cable? Will it drive high impedance headphone?

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,272 of 3,124
I am newbie and this can a dumb question. I guess that Alien does not have dedicated line out. What happens if I connect with external amp by connecting using 3.5mm male to male short cable? Will it drive high impedance headphone?

There's no dedicated line out, but the HPO output works very well with amplification so if your amp can drive the headphones then yes, it will work with the Alien as a source.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,273 of 3,124

There's no dedicated line out, but the HPO output works very well with amplification so if your amp can drive the headphones then yes, it will work with the Alien as a source.

Thank you so much. Great to know and learned something new :) If HPO works with external amp, when do we need dedicated LO? Is it just to connect external speaker unit?

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,274 of 3,124

Yeah I am guessing thats what I am saying.
I heard hiss using:
Noble Savant
ASG 2.5
IE800
ALO Lyra
UM Mentor

I did not hear hiss with my Tralucent Ref1's, well not enough to bother me.
Also hiss is one of those things.  While all of those hissed for me I was more than willing to put up with it due to the advantages of using the Alien (Sound and portability).

All this being said I know there are a lot worse sources out there for hiss.

I would just love to see a hiss free Alien is all :)
Sadly I prefer the brushed look over the new look.  But the gold would go nicely with some of my other bling gear :p

Yeh, I haven't tested my Alien with anything other than my two aforementioned IEMs, but seeing as the EPH100's are often reported as being pretty hissy, and they aren't at all hissy with the Alien I was therefore pretty confident in marking the Alien as a very low noise player. So I am quite alarmed to hear that hiss was detectable for you with your array of headphones... could it be not all Aliens are equal in this regard?

Anyway, the idea to me to have a lower noise Alien seems ridiculous as to my ears it had already succeeded 110% in this regard, so it's interesting to hear of others who haven't had that experience.

Oh, No. I ordered Yam Eph100 last week and it is on its way. Didn't know it is hissy.

Please don't fret! Only with a couple of my Cowon's did I hear a lot of hiss, on my AP100 and Shozy Alien the hiss is non existent. And I did mention that they are a rival to my $600USD PFE 232's in overall sound quality, this coming from a $80AUD purchase is truly a remarkable achievement.
No... I think you purchased very wisely and will be very happy. :)

I double amped my Alien Shozy with Soundmagics A10 amp and really enjoyed what I heard. Double amping is the term used when using an amp connected to a DAP's HO instead of LO. What's happening is the Alien Shozy (or whatever DAP) is still using it's internal amp, then the signal is once again being amped by the portable amp therefore 'double amping'. A LO on a device is supposed to bypass the internal DAPs amp entirely and therefore just use the portable amps amp do all the work, because double amping can be problematic. If there is a flaw with the internal amp, and you can't bypass it, then yer just amplifying sh!t, which is not ideal.
But in the case of Shozy Alien it's really not a issue as the HO is extremely good, low noise and very flat FRR. I would argue it is prolly superior than a lot of LO on other DAPs similarly or more expensively priced. 

Thank you so much. Great to know and learned something new If HPO works with external amp, when do we need dedicated LO? Is it just to connect external speaker unit?

Ideally LO's are used for external amps, thereby allowing the user to take benefits of what the DAP brings (features, portability, being able to read vast amount if files etc etc) but use the users preferred amp instead of the one housed within.

I use LO on my AP100 when connected to my car stereo in an effort to avoid its internal amp, but not all LO's are made equal, the AP100 for example still allows for EQ and other DSPs in effect, as well as altering volume, for sure I don't notice a significant difference between the HO and LO. Bottom line, not all LO's are made equal and close attention needs to be paid if hooking a DAP of choice to certain equipment is a priority for you.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,276 of 3,124
I'm sure the special edition Gold Alien won't go unappreciated but we didn't need 'another Alien' with a colour change and minor adjustments.

Many of us have been there, done that, flogged it, praised Alien until the cows came home.

What we need is another Shozy DAP, something with a screen, something they can up the ante and show us Alien wasn't a one hit wonder.

Something new we can become interested in.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,277 of 3,124
  I'm sure the special edition Gold Alien won't go unappreciated but we didn't need 'another Alien' with a colour change and minor adjustments.

Many of us have been there, done that, flogged it, praised Alien until the cows came home.

What we need is another Shozy DAP, something with a screen, something they can up the ante and show us Alien wasn't a one hit wonder.

Something new we can become interested in.

I must be an oddball and minority. :) I actually like what they are doing. I personally do not feel that there is another DAP with screen needed to be in the marketplace. I am overwhelmed by number of choices in the marketplaces already and coming up every year.  Alien design is very distinctive and eye catching and it sacrificed everything else but sound quality so price becomes reasonable and it is so different to other DAP in the marketplace. I do not think that their products (especially alien) are geared towards mass market but geared more towards niche in the marketplace. And I prefer incremental changes so previous version does not become obsolete with a short life span. :) 

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,279 of 3,124
Recently I picked up a pre-owned Alien, I also picked up a Fiio x3. I really enjoy the Alien and it sound amazing compared to the Fiio x3 and the alien is my go to dap however there are a couple things about the alien that is pissing me off and got me thinking about selling it. I'm hoping some of you guys have experienced this problem and have a fix so I don't have to sell the Alien because I LOVE the sound.

The problem I'm experiencing is that on some flac files, it skips badly. Like on a scratched cd where the song makes this horrible skipping sound. However unlike on a cd the song doesn't keep playing, it just keeps scratching with this incredibly annoying sound. During this time you can't change songs, lower volume or skip folder, the only thing you can do is to turn it off and start all over again. SUPER ANNOYING actually that's my only complaint. I hate it so much that i want to sell it, but I love the sound so much I want to solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back