A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,281 of 3,124
Need more screenless players ☺

At least provide a LED that changes colour to indicate the remaining battery level (example, green -above 50% to full charge, orange -above 25% to below 50%, red -below 25% and flashing red -turning off anytime soon).

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2,282 of 3,124
  Recently I picked up a pre-owned Alien, I also picked up a Fiio x3. I really enjoy the Alien and it sound amazing compared to the Fiio x3 and the alien is my go to dap however there are a couple things about the alien that is pissing me off and got me thinking about selling it. I'm hoping some of you guys have experienced this problem and have a fix so I don't have to sell the Alien because I LOVE the sound.

The problem I'm experiencing is that on some flac files, it skips badly. Like on a scratched cd where the song makes this horrible skipping sound. However unlike on a cd the song doesn't keep playing, it just keeps scratching with this incredibly annoying sound. During this time you can't change songs, lower volume or skip folder, the only thing you can do is to turn it off and start all over again. SUPER ANNOYING actually that's my only complaint. I hate it so much that i want to sell it, but I love the sound so much I want to solve it.

Came across nasty 'annoying sound' (can't remember what it was now) when playing some songs when I first had Alien (same songs no problem on my X3).
Some files won't play nice on Alien. Stick to standard bit/sampling file, re-RIP songs again, remove tags....that was what I did previously I think.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,283 of 3,124
The problem I'm experiencing is that on some flac files, it skips badly. Like on a scratched cd where the song makes this horrible skipping sound. However unlike on a cd the song doesn't keep playing, it just keeps scratching with this incredibly annoying sound. During this time you can't change songs, lower volume or skip folder, the only thing you can do is to turn it off and start all over again. SUPER ANNOYING actually that's my only complaint. I hate it so much that i want to sell it, but I love the sound so much I want to solve it.

It's called stutter or stuttering a known phenomena. That's happening when player's hardware or software cannot read file due to some converting/reconverting algorithm being incomparable. The best way to get around it with Alien it to try reconvert in WAV or to a lower bit rate FLAC.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,285 of 3,124
I must be an oddball and minority. :) I actually like what they are doing. I personally do not feel that there is another DAP with screen needed to be in the marketplace. I am overwhelmed by number of choices in the marketplaces already and coming up every year.  Alien design is very distinctive and eye catching and it sacrificed everything else but sound quality so price becomes reasonable and it is so different to other DAP in the marketplace. I do not think that their products (especially alien) are geared towards mass market but geared more towards niche in the marketplace. And I prefer incremental changes so previous version does not become obsolete with a short life span. :) 

You are not in minority at least in this forum, you got all the points correct about Alien. :smile:

After demise of Apple's Shuffle there is a demand in the market for a simple screenless DAP with great sound and an intuitive interface easily accessible without looking at screen, I guess Shozy tried to fill this niche with its incredible Alien. A couple of other tries from Far East companies come in mind ( xDuoo, Cowon, etc.).
What we need most is the same great sound and statement design as Alien has plus improved interface and the ability to play MP3 and higher resolution files like 29/96 flac and DSD.... Not just the change of color and different case surface treatment. :D

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,286 of 3,124
I must be an oddball and minority. :) I actually like what they are doing. I personally do not feel that there is another DAP with screen needed to be in the marketplace. I am overwhelmed by number of choices in the marketplaces already and coming up every year.  Alien design is very distinctive and eye catching and it sacrificed everything else but sound quality so price becomes reasonable and it is so different to other DAP in the marketplace. I do not think that their products (especially alien) are geared towards mass market but geared more towards niche in the marketplace. And I prefer incremental changes so previous version does not become obsolete with a short life span. :) 

You are not in minority at least in this forum, you got all the points correct about Alien. :smile:

After demise of Apple's Shuffle there is a demand in the market for a simple screenless DAP with great sound and an intuitive interface easily accessible without looking at screen, I guess Shozy tried to fill this niche with it's incredible Alien. A couple of other tries from Far East companies come in mind ( xDuoo, Cowon, etc.).
What we need most is the same great sound and statement design as Alien has plus improved interface and the ability to play MP3 and higher resolution files like 29/96 flac and DSD.... Not just the change of color and different case surface treatment. :D

I cannot agree more. It would be nice to play MP3 since I also got lots of MP3 files and it is cumbersome to convert to WAV. I do not have any DSD files so that is not a concern for me though.(I actually never had a pleasure to listen I DSD format files) :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,287 of 3,124
Many people refer Shozy Alien is poorman's Terra Player which picked my interest in Terra player so checked their website just now. And it says, "No mp3, no DSD, no crippling of music! Tera plays .wav, the best storage format for music!"   I am not familiar what the difference between Wav, Flac and DSD but is it true that WAV is one the best storage format for music? Love to hear thoughts from more experienced head-fiers. :) 

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,288 of 3,124
Need more screenless players ☺

Absolutely. I liked how a member here stated the other day how he can move up an album, change volume, skip track, activate shuffle on/off, all without looking at the DAP. Many screened DAPs are not as easy to do those type things, with screenless u lose a lot, but you also have hidden advantages that are not often first thought about or recognised.

They suit exercise or yard work perfectly.

Recently I picked up a pre-owned Alien, I also picked up a Fiio x3. I really enjoy the Alien and it sound amazing compared to the Fiio x3 and the alien is my go to dap however there are a couple things about the alien that is pissing me off and got me thinking about selling it. I'm hoping some of you guys have experienced this problem and have a fix so I don't have to sell the Alien because I LOVE the sound.

Not all FLAC is equal. It was posted long ago in here that people had similar issues, using foobars FLAC conversion tool seemed to resolve this issue for most people.
Try it, find a couple of pesky files, convert FLAC to FLAC and play. If the artifacts are resolved then make a batch conversion and run over night. Done... problem solved.

FWIW I had to convert many of my MP3 files to FLAC just to get the compatability for the Shozy, I never once had issues with FLAC or WAV converted files processed through foobar on the Alien.

I'm sure the special edition Gold Alien won't go unappreciated but we didn't need 'another Alien' with a colour change and minor adjustments.

Many of us have been there, done that, flogged it, praised Alien until the cows came home.

What we need is another Shozy DAP, something with a screen, something they can up the ante and show us Alien wasn't a one hit wonder.

Something new we can become interested in.

Agreed, however I would be fine with screenlesss still. I just wish that they had listened to and followed this thread more closely and tried to improve upon complaints, such as cramped button placement etc. For a shuffle player I still had to glance down occasionally to make sure i hit the right button. And if I wanted to hit say volume down (which is 6pm on the dial) I might accidentally push more towards 4pmish and skip the track altogether... grrr... not to mention accidental shutdowns!
Instead we got more of the same, in different bling... <sigh>.

Oh well... they miss my $ this time round, hope it doesn't cost them dearly with others sharing similar view.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #2,289 of 3,124
I had one track so far that didnt work, i tracked it down by fast forwarding through my tracks and took a note and deleted it. Problem solved.

Listening now with the Paiaudio MR3 iem. Still loving the Alien.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #2,291 of 3,124
Just a quick note that might have already been posted somewhere...I faced some issues with flac with cover art embedded. I removed this using XLD on my Mac and problem solved.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #2,292 of 3,124
Many people refer Shozy Alien is poorman's Terra Player which picked my interest in Terra player so checked their website just now. And it says, "No mp3, no DSD, no crippling of music! Tera plays .wav, the best storage format for music!"   I am not familiar what the difference between Wav, Flac and DSD but is it true that WAV is one the best storage format for music? Love to hear thoughts from more experienced head-fiers. :) 

WAV is completely uncompressed so it takes up a lot more space, but in return you get a format that may place less demand on the processor and can potentially produce a cleaner / better sound.

In practice, I've rarely heard an audible benefit with WAV vs FLAC, but I use WAV on the Alien because I don't need to carry lots of music on it and it's a nice simple format (no embedded stuff like artwork etc.) to mess things up.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,293 of 3,124

Many people refer Shozy Alien is poorman's Terra Player which picked my interest in Terra player so checked their website just now. And it says, "No mp3, no DSD, no crippling of music! Tera plays .wav, the best storage format for music!"   I am not familiar what the difference between Wav, Flac and DSD but is it true that WAV is one the best storage format for music? Love to hear thoughts from more experienced head-fiers.
smily_headphones1.gif

WAV is completely uncompressed so it takes up a lot more space, but in return you get a format that may place less demand on the processor and can potentially produce a cleaner / better sound.

In practice, I've rarely heard an audible benefit with WAV vs FLAC, but I use WAV on the Alien because I don't need to carry lots of music on it and it's a nice simple format (no embedded stuff like artwork etc.) to mess things up.

Thank you so much~~~~ So WAV file is uncompressed file format that is same sound quality as Flac but WAV does not have any embedded stuff like artwork etc. Is this correct? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back