A little about the Shozy Alien
Feb 27, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,251 of 3,124
64286127.jpg

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,252 of 3,124
Asked Shozy what exact improvement was made and how did it affect sound quality and received below response.
"The new one has minor bugs fixed, a bit change in the circuitry and different areas, also enhanced housing :)
Basically it is better but we will let users decide :wink:"
Maybe there isn't much difference after all so they could not quantify afterall. I just wish that they have more color choice to choose from though. :)

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,253 of 3,124
Now I got further information about the difference between old and new version. Here is the quote from Shozy.

"First of all the housing build quality is improved a lot, also we are using different laser/ engravings for logos and info at the back.
That is not much related to sound for sure since we are not altering the thickness/ materials.
Soundwise the circuitry is changed (easily noticeable) also some parts in the circuit, will not comment about sound (better not give any model answers). We are referring to imperfect things in the circuits when we mentioned bugs but yah it is vague.... 
In terms of sound, we improved the resolution a bit and lowered the noise. Rest is for users to explore."

Now I understood what the differences are and keen to get new edition. :)

By the way, I am very impressed with their responsiveness. It was very prompt.

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,254 of 3,124
Thanks for the update, now it's a bit more clear.

What I get from their response.
1) Build quality wise: they changed brushed top and back to blasted finish to improve durability (scratch proof ?), aluminum alloy used still the same. Other changes are mostly cosmetic like campaign gold anodizing and different laser engraving.

2) Circuity wise: changed some electronic components to remove "bugs" (??)

3) Sound quality wise: lowered nose, improved resolution (circuity change?)

From their response also it looks like Shozy chose to change Alien sound signature to further improve it. That worries me a bit since I did not like how they tuned the sound of Lancea to make it artificially warm.
Anyway, it's all vaporware unless we will see direct A/B comparison with previous version and/or new RMAA.

RMAA measurments for black version (gen 1.0) can be found here
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-shozy-alien-16-24-bit-loaded-unloaded

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,255 of 3,124
If anyone wants to send me a gold one I would be more than happy to compare them :wink: hahaha

And yes shozy are very responsive and generally awesome to talk to in general.

In this hobby I have made many purchases that I have suffered buyers remorse from. The alien is not one of those items

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,257 of 3,124
Review plus comparison please
:popcorn:

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #2,259 of 3,124

Good combi...

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,261 of 3,124
How does it compare with QP1R in terms of sound quality? It would be a huge help if you can share your sound impression between the two. :)

To my ears, Alien has similar sound impression as QP1R with slightly wider soundstage? Listening with female vocals, I am happy with Alien and won't miss my QP1R, AK320 or even my LPG. Most of the time I am happy pairing it with my Athena or Angie. Given that it costs me US$140, best bang for the buck. Can't describe much about the SQ but you can tell I am very happy with it.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,262 of 3,124

How does it compare with QP1R in terms of sound quality? It would be a huge help if you can share your sound impression between the two.
smily_headphones1.gif

To my ears, Alien has similar sound impression as QP1R with slightly wider soundstage? Listening with female vocals, I am happy with Alien and won't miss my QP1R, AK320 or even my LPG. Most of the time I am happy pairing it with my Athena or Angie. Given that it costs me US$140, best bang for the buck. Can't describe much about the SQ but you can tell I am very happy with it.

Thank you so much for sharing your impression. :). Could you care to share where we can get it at US$140? I could not find the price anywhere. :frowning2:

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,264 of 3,124
Thank you so much for sharing your impression. :). Could you care to share where we can get it at US$140? I could not find the price anywhere. :frowning2:

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/digital-product/products/shozy-alien-digital-audio-player-gold-edition

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,265 of 3,124
Thanks for the update, now it's a bit more clear.

What I get from their response.
1) Build quality wise: they changed brushed top and back to blasted finish to improve durability (scratch proof ?), aluminum alloy used still the same. Other changes mostly cosmetic like campaign gold anodizing and different laser engraving.

2) Circuity wise: changed some electronic elements to remove "bugs" (??)

3) Sound quality wise: lowered nose, improved resolution (circuity change?)

From their response also it looks like Shozy chose to change Alien sound signature to further improve it. That worries me a bit since I did not like how they tuned the sound of Lancea to make it artificially warm.
Anyway, it's all vaporware unless we will see direct A/B comparison with previous version and/or new RMAA.

RMAA measurments for black version (gen 1.0) can be found here

Given that the original Alien was FFR, and that I heard absolutely no hiss from my PFE232's connected (even on wickedly high volumes) I am not sure I would notice a slightest bit of difference in the Gold Edition. That is unless they tweaked the FFR, which they shouldn't.
In terms of hiss and noise, the original was spookly quiet imo. You could put yer IEMs in ears, switch on, and be fooled to thinking the thing was bust as you got no noise whatsoever to signal that it was even on! No bumps, clicks or anything! Then the music started playing to ease those anxieties... hehe.

So yeh to lower it (noise) even further sounds utterly insane to me, like how can it go lower than what I have experienced lol.

I am really just looking at the Gold as a slightly different original version, sound wise I am pretty convinced there will be little to nothing in it, and those hunting for a difference will be more than likely tricked by what they are hearing, subtle differences are very hard to trust when it comes to purely subjective hearing. If the listener believes there will be a sound difference between the two, then they will most likely report as such, if a listener doesn't believe there is a difference, then that is what will be reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back