A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #76 of 277

give it a go first before judging

I had. no go. In fact I have tried both SXC and also Copper 22 and (maybe) surprisingly it is the copper 22 that gives a hair better treble extension and substance. Tonally the SXC sounds exceedingly similar to the tinsel with the Lyra, and only the qutie significantly improved soundstage and air earns this combo credit.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #77 of 277
I just purchased the Lyra, very excited to get it. Will post impressions and pictures once I have it...

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #79 of 277
I got the Lyra a day ago and have been listening to them non-stop. What a wonderful piece. Great bass, better than what I expected. I was thinking that hese were going to be more mid-centric, which they are, but there is a great amount of mid-bass and sub-bass energy here that it was really surprising. Vocals on this are superb. I can hear breaths in between singing. The highs are good, not great. No sibilance to note, though. There is some decent extension here, just not as much as I had hoped for. Maybe different cable will help. I have been researching some and may get one in the very near future. I wish the Norne Theriums I got for my CL C6 could fit. Any way, the tinsel wire for these is ok. A little frustrating to manipulate. Lots of microphonics with it. Was hoping it would suffice, but may need to ditch it if even only for comfort. Accessories are great with an ample amount of tips to rotate through. Storage box was a nice touch.

Overall, I really like the presentation and delivery. Soundstage was great horizontally but is lacking in some vertical expansion. Again, maybe I can tease a bit more out with a cable swap. We'll see later. These are very sensitive to the quality of music played. Went from lowly 128k mp3 to lossless 24/192. As expected, the mp3s sounded hollow and stressed out in the top and bottom. Don't judge me having some of those, sometimes it's a matter of having that track as only an mp3 or nothing. The lossless really shine and deliver the great details in instrumentation placement and extension that one always seeks.

Right now, just really enjoying everything I'm listening to. I think this a great complement to what I have. Looking forward to many pleasurable hours with these.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #80 of 277
A couple more

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #82 of 277
Hey WCDchee: I auditioned both at ALO HQ awhile ago.

From memory...

Lyra was more laid back with a warm, rich sound. Something relax and listen.

Jupiter, while still warm, was livelier / more energetic. Something that makes you really sit up and take notice.

To my ears, they were quite complementary, and I could see being very happy owning both. Which you prefer depends on what you're looking for. Hopefully someone who's heard both more recently will speak up and expand on that.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #84 of 277
@nmatheis, did they give you any idea of a Jupiter release date?

Nope, and to be completely transparent it was a pre-production model. While moving between the two (Lyra & Jupiter), I could easily hear two interpretations of their house sound. Ken's fave is the smoother, more organic Lyra. Caleb's is the more energetic Jupiter.

Personally, I was immediately struck by the Jupiter, given its more energetic nature. I think that would be a fairly typical reaction to have. If I had the chance for a longer, multi-day audition, I'm not sure if that wouldn't change. Like I said earlier, Lyra's more of a kick back with some single malt and let the music wash over you sound. Jupiter's more for when you want to engage with the music music. I hope my descriptions do them both justice, as I thought they were both beautiful, great sounding IEM. A really good first outing from the Campfire Audio team!

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #86 of 277
Heard this in a store a couple of days back when waiting on my GF to complete her haircut (I love bringing her to haircuts for that reason). I didn't have my DAP with me so I used an AK JR as a source and the sound was quite good. A little overly warm for my liking. Bass is great. Overall detail and clarity were quite impressive.

Probably what impressed me most was the build quality, which seemed tremendous. They looked really nice as well. Comfort on the other hand was another matter. Obviously its a purely subjective issue but I couldn't get a good fit and seal without having to consistently nudge the IEMs into my ears.

Also tried it in my IP5 but there was only one song on it (Hans Zimmer - Remember The Fire) and it sounded pretty good as well.

If I had the cash I'd probably still pass on it. Not my kind of sound signature, but surely a very good option for others.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #87 of 277
Lyra is made incredibly well. Too well, in fact. Sure, it costs a pretty penny, but considering what's out between the 400$ - 800$ price point, Lyra is by far and away one of, if not the best, at its price point. I also find fit to be an issue, and wish it fit flusher in the ear like Jupiter. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #89 of 277
Guys guys guys I've just made an amazing discovery! I've recently bought a pair of etymotic research er-4pts and I've noticed there is a "converter cable from pt to S". So I connected it to the Lyras and plugged it to my FiiO E10K amp and it makes the sound signature even more buttery smooth and warmer god damn my ears are covered in butter. I tried listening to the same song with and without the converter cable and I've found the Lyra's sound "Harsher" without the converter cable. Very nice combination this! Try it out guys!

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #90 of 277
  Guys guys guys I've just made an amazing discovery! I've recently bought a pair of etymotic research er-4pts and I've noticed there is a "converter cable from pt to S". So I connected it to the Lyras and plugged it to my FiiO E10K amp and it makes the sound signature even more buttery smooth and warmer god damn my ears are covered in butter. I tried listening to the same song with and without the converter cable and I've found the Lyra's sound "Harsher" without the converter cable. Very nice combination this! Try it out guys!

one man's meat is another man's poison ... not sure what do you mean by harsh but personally prefer the exciting details to boring smoothness in sound 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back