A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra
Sep 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #61 of 277
  I've recently just got one of these as my first high end foray into the in-ear headphones world. I've gotta say they sound really incredible! Well, I've been incarcerated for a year due to consumption of marijuana in Singapore (would you believe that?!) I was only 17 and they threw me into a cesspit full of murderers, molesters and what not. When I was just released, I decided to treat my ears to something nice and shelled out a wad of cash for these Lyras. Upon initial testing I compared the lyras to the westone w50s and I somehow picked the former. Which was weird since I recently got a pair of w20's for my everyday carry and I found them much better than the lyras :/ now I've ordered a pair of w50s as I've discovered I'm more of a balanced armature guy. But I've got to give the Lyras credits as they sound very warm and the bass isn't overly punchy with a great sounstage. I've tested it on a FiiO E10k amp and they sound even better! The only gripe I have about the lyras is that they don't excel on the lows, that really bums me out as I don't like having my ears blasted every time I listen to music. I've compared the lyras and the w20s with the FiiO E10K on a song called "Sail" by AWOLNATION and the difference is really there. The lyras give off a very relaxed, smooth and warm kind of signature, while compared to the w20's the signature was very harsh and hurts my ears a little but the details are accounted for.

Please give your thoughts about this little post, forgive me if I've used some inappropriate terms as I'm still not that acquainted with the headphone world

Cheers
Zuohan

One year jail for consumption (inhalation?) of marijuana: ridiculous. Finding a signature you like: wonderful. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #62 of 277
Lyras require some matching and also I notice they perform much better under good amplification. I recently plugged them into a wa22 amp it quite blew me away lol. Also Lyra sound signature changes with cables significantly. So some mix and match to squeeze the best sound out of it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #63 of 277
  I've recently just got one of these as my first high end foray into the in-ear headphones world. I've gotta say they sound really incredible! Well, I've been incarcerated for a year due to consumption of marijuana in Singapore (would you believe that?!) I was only 17 and they threw me into a cesspit full of murderers, molesters and what not. When I was just released, I decided to treat my ears to something nice and shelled out a wad of cash for these Lyras. Upon initial testing I compared the lyras to the westone w50s and I somehow picked the former. Which was weird since I recently got a pair of w20's for my everyday carry and I found them much better than the lyras :/ now I've ordered a pair of w50s as I've discovered I'm more of a balanced armature guy. But I've got to give the Lyras credits as they sound very warm and the bass isn't overly punchy with a great sounstage. I've tested it on a FiiO E10k amp and they sound even better! The only gripe I have about the lyras is that they don't excel on the lows, that really bums me out as I don't like having my ears blasted every time I listen to music. I've compared the lyras and the w20s with the FiiO E10K on a song called "Sail" by AWOLNATION and the difference is really there. The lyras give off a very relaxed, smooth and warm kind of signature, while compared to the w20's the signature was very harsh and hurts my ears a little but the details are accounted for.

Please give your thoughts about this little post, forgive me if I've used some inappropriate terms as I'm still not that acquainted with the headphone world

Cheers
Zuohan

actually, the lyra offers deeper bass extension than the w50.  just that there is a strong mid-bass presence in w50 that makes it sounds bassier.  it all boils down to the genre of music and the true quality of the files.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #64 of 277
I haven't heard the W50's but I found the Lyra's to be pretty warm and overall bass-heavy.  The treble was very extended but also nice and smooth.  I can't imagine anyone calling the Lyra harsh, tbh.  Have you ever listened to a Beyerdynamic headphone?  Or god forbid an AKG or Grado?  lol

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #65 of 277
I haven't heard the W50's but I found the Lyra's to be pretty warm and overall bass-heavy.  The treble was very extended but also nice and smooth.  I can't imagine anyone calling the Lyra harsh, tbh.  Have you ever listened to a Beyerdynamic headphone?  Or god forbid an AKG or Grado?  lol

During my brief audition at ALO HQ, Lyra sounded warm and smooth - a very easy to listen to sound sig. Harsh never entered my mind while listening to them. Not once...

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #66 of 277
Actually what you said is true, I've just received my W50's and that thing you said about the presence in bass is spot on, but I've really come to like the W50's more than the Lyras sadly, maybe it's my ears. But I would imagine watching a Michael Bay movie with the Lyras would kick ass though

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #67 of 277
Anyone compare the Lyra to the Noble Savant? I know there will be differences from the drivers (BA vs dynamic), just looking to see how the presentation differs.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #68 of 277
Anyone compare the Lyra to the Noble Savant? I know there will be differences from the drivers (BA vs dynamic), just looking to see how the presentation differs.

The Savant is a jack of all trade but master of none. Easy with all genres.  The Lyra is more engaging with a much better sense of liveliness for most form music involving vocals and instruments like in a band.  The cymbals are crispier and snare hits harder.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #69 of 277
Thank you for that. Now I've got to decide...thanks for the input.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #71 of 277
I'm on the side that considers to which genres an earphone sounds best. And I love Lyra. I wish it had a more aggressive top end, but that's me. For a lot of audiophile staples, Lyra is fabulous. For trance, however, it has a few betters.

Of course, pairing it with a bright source pretty much makes for a perfect combo, likely for any taste.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #72 of 277
I'm on the side that considers to which genres an earphone sounds best. And I love Lyra. I wish it had a more aggressive top end, but that's me. For a lot of audiophile staples, Lyra is fabulous. For trance, however, it has a few betters.

Of course, pairing it with a bright source pretty much makes for a perfect combo, likely for any taste.

This is an excellent point...

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #73 of 277

just pair it with alo sxc24, you will get your high extension

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #74 of 277

just pair it with alo sxc24, you will get your high extension

I don't quite buy that. The SXC24 is great, but it isn't going to entirely change the nature of the earphone unless the stock cable is too resistive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back