A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra
Aug 18, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #46 of 277
  True enough. But the improvement is alot more noticeable then say using a AK120ii. I also tried with the Ak240. AK240 gives a slightly bigger stage and a touch more clarity. But the ZX2 to me improved on the strengths of Lyra which is the lows by making them tighter and even more impactful.

Though surprisingly in the end, I think cables makes the most difference for the Lyra. All the high end daps just shift the sound or do minor improvement, cables i feel depending on your taste can really tweak the sound significantly.

currently, the lyra is on alo sxc24 balanced.  not going back to the tinsel.

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #47 of 277
Im still thinking which cable to upgrade too. Beat Audio Supernova sounded even better then the SXC24 for me and cost around the same. Hard to audition cable.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #48 of 277
  Wondering if the Lyra is now widely available on States side or in Europe? Bit quiet across the www and on head-fi about these babes...........they are certainly at least on the same level with the much loved JVC FX850/1100/1200 family (though the Lyra being a fair bit more expensive) - these together with the Lyra are all the very best dynamic iems out there. The Lyra is actually a bit more balanced than the JVC woodies........less bass oomph in return for very nice bass resolution, and less V/U shape than the JVC to give vocals more breathing space

Are they less mid-bassy than the 850? A more neutral 850 with flatter bass and  some isolation sounds like a very nice thing.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #49 of 277
I'm pairing my Lyra with Venturecraft 6N balanced cable. Before I was using ALO Copper 22 - sounds a bit fuller with a sharper edge with the Lyra than the SXC during my audition with both. But the Venturecraft is softer and wins in ease of use, and the sound sits somewhere midway between the SXC and the Cu22.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #50 of 277

Took  pic of my Lyra with the ALO CDM. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #51 of 277
very nicely done (see what I did there?)

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #52 of 277
Campfire Audio slogan? haha.

Add one more image of the Lyra with my CDM and ZX2

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #53 of 277
Got some new balanced cable from null audio. This cable kinda tame the bass, add warmness and increase the soundstage. Though I dunno if the balanced out help in anyway.

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #54 of 277
Just visited ALO today, met Ken and the crew, and got to listen to the Campfire Audio lineup and a couple secret smoothie goodies. Thanks for spending the time with me KB!

One of the really impressive aspects of their lineup is that they try to keep as much of the production as local as possible. Machining and assembly is done in three towns in Oregin where I currently have family living. Cool beans. Kudos to the Campfire Audio team for supporting our local economies :beerchug:

For anyone hesitating, these are the real deal, folks. Great sound, solidly built, and beautifully crafted. My favorites were Lyra and Jupiter, which were quite complementary.

Lyra was what you'd chill out to when relaxing. Warm and smooth.

Jupiter was what you'd listen to for an engaging yet non-fatiguing listening session. Energetic and powerful.

I would've been a very happy camper (see what I did there :wink_face) if I could've walked out with those two.

Orion was awesome in its own way, as a reference monitor type IEM. Not my preferred sound sig, but I can appreciate it and know some headfi'ers who will just love it!

And keep a lookout for upcoming releases from Campfire Audio. The not ready for prime time prototypes already sounded amazing but still weren't good enough for them to release. When they go live, watch out!!!

Any Pacific NW'ers out there, make a point to stop by for a visit sometime. They're great, no bs guys to chat with and it's fun to audition their great gear.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #57 of 277
as Dita Truth owner i'm interested in that comparison.

I tried dita the truth at one of my local shops, the impression is that it is a cooler sounding, with slightly better clarity but lacks the fullness and bass slam. I didnt do a very serious AB since i didnt like the sound signature. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #58 of 277

I tried dita the truth at one of my local shops, the impression is that it is a cooler sounding, with slightly better clarity but lacks the fullness and bass slam. I didnt do a very serious AB since i didnt like the sound signature. 

I also prefer the Lyra to the Dita, both in fit and sound. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #60 of 277
I've recently just got one of these as my first high end foray into the in-ear headphones world. I've gotta say they sound really incredible! Well, I've been incarcerated for a year due to consumption of marijuana in Singapore (would you believe that?!) I was only 17 and they threw me into a cesspit full of murderers, molesters and what not. When I was just released, I decided to treat my ears to something nice and shelled out a wad of cash for these Lyras. Upon initial testing I compared the lyras to the westone w50s and I somehow picked the former. Which was weird since I recently got a pair of w20's for my everyday carry and I found them much better than the lyras :/ now I've ordered a pair of w50s as I've discovered I'm more of a balanced armature guy. But I've got to give the Lyras credits as they sound very warm and the bass isn't overly punchy with a great sounstage. I've tested it on a FiiO E10k amp and they sound even better! The only gripe I have about the lyras is that they don't excel on the lows, that really bums me out as I don't like having my ears blasted every time I listen to music. I've compared the lyras and the w20s with the FiiO E10K on a song called "Sail" by AWOLNATION and the difference is really there. The lyras give off a very relaxed, smooth and warm kind of signature, while compared to the w20's the signature was very harsh and hurts my ears a little but the details are accounted for.

Please give your thoughts about this little post, forgive me if I've used some inappropriate terms as I'm still not that acquainted with the headphone world

Cheers
Zuohan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back