A K702 impressions thread
Jun 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #76 of 116

Quote:
^Yea there are some threads around here with mods for the headband; I thought about cutting the humps off or putting something in between them at some point.... but I don't really think I'm going to go through with it. 

But yea I'm at 100 hours now and I got some noticeable change from first getting them and what I'm hearing now. Can't wait to hit 200 :)

If you plan to keep the headphones, I would do it any day. Less aesthetically pleasing, but hey :) atleast much more comfortable.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #77 of 116

Quote:

If you plan to keep the headphones, I would do it any day. Less aesthetically pleasing, but hey :) atleast much more comfortable.

Haha I plan on keeping these for a very long time but that's what I say for all of my phones :wink:
Seriously though, I really do plan on keeping these.... however I couldn't think of doing something like that; I already cut the little covers off the pads so the drivers are directly exposed.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #78 of 116
@ $255 from Amazon I am truly in LOVE with mine :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #80 of 116
Krillin, chopping those bumps off is a kinda radical solution, though I completely sympathize with your impulse. The bumps suck big time.  I decided to soften them up. I just wrapped an old lonesome sock around the headband, navy blue to blend in with the cups, of course.

Burn-in is now around Hour 400. My 702s have been listening to classical music radio round the clock for over two weeks. Listening right now, I hear deep and powerful bass. The highs are plenty bright but not shrill. Mids are balanced with other registers. I have no complaints. Except for those infernal headband bumps.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #82 of 116
I have never heard the AKG K701/K702s but have wanted to.  Armin Van Burren, one of the few headphone using producers raves about them.  He seems to really love them, and well, I do like his music occasionally, but love the genre.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #83 of 116

Quote:
I have never heard the AKG K701/K702s but have wanted to.  Armin Van Burren, one of the few headphone using producers raves about them.  He seems to really love them, and well, I do like his music occasionally, but love the genre.

They really are great phones. If you ever get the chance to try some at a store on some high end equipment you really should. They work with a wide range of music. Using a Blue-Dragon cable it gives it some love in the bottom end and although gets a little away from neutral, makes hip hop, rnb, pop etc a little more exciting for me. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #84 of 116
Acix, I've got that thread bookmarked and have thought about recabling, but that is more time and $$. Right now I'm focusing on getting my new amp built. Parts are still on order, arg. I'll think more critically about cabling when the rest of the system is in place.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #85 of 116
Quote:
Krillin, chopping those bumps off is a kinda radical solution, though I completely sympathize with your impulse. The bumps suck big time.  I decided to soften them up. I just wrapped an old lonesome sock around the headband, navy blue to blend in with the cups, of course.

Burn-in is now around Hour 400. My 702s have been listening to classical music radio round the clock for over two weeks. Listening right now, I hear deep and powerful bass. The highs are plenty bright but not shrill. Mids are balanced with other registers. I have no complaints. Except for those infernal headband bumps.

I couldn't believe the reports of headband discomfort until I tried mine .. after 1 hr, I'm starting to feel the darned bumps. Yikes!!  I'll have to try some of these headband "mods" later.

Still, I'm impressed with the headphones but eagerly awaiting my Audio-gd C2. Currently have my old setup hooked up Oppo DV-970HD -> NAD C352  and ... not a big diff from that setup hooked up to my Senn PX100.  This headphone needs a good source & amp to get the most of out it. Fortunately, I had a chance to hear the 702 hooked up to an Audio-gd FUN - a good setup which shows there's more potential.  Will report back later.  My K702s were bought used btw.. roughly 350hrs use already.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #87 of 116
I don't post much but I have both the 650 and the K702... I know 650 is a "different" type of beast but I prefer the K702 to it by a mile. K702 are, for me, very "3D" phones... with the right amp it is very strong, very prideful. I don't understand why anyone would hate them.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #88 of 116
Stick around a while and you'll get lots of answers
wink_face.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #89 of 116
Quote:
I don't post much but I have both the 650 and the K702... I know 650 is a "different" type of beast but I prefer the K702 to it by a mile. K702 are, for me, very "3D" phones... with the right amp it is very strong, very prideful. I don't understand why anyone would hate them.

I think some people find that the undeniably phenomenal imaging, detail and immediacy of the K 702 in no way compensates for what they perceive to be a repulsive lack of body and depth in the presentation.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #90 of 116
I'm one who finds the 702 mids to lack body/weight. I'm still getting used to their very light and airy sound signature...the mids are almost weightless! Coming from other headphones... and speakers, they definitely take some getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back