A K702 impressions thread
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #106 of 116
i found the earlier #SN K701 to be dry and a little bleached tonally, but not the K702 - even with the same amps/source.  the K701 emphasizes air and treble, but the K702 i've found is darker, better tone, and bassier.  i've not owned both HPs at the same time though.  i don't think there has been enough attention given to the possible differences.  if there is truly a difference, it wouldn't be the first time AKG has made changes and not changed the model number.  i dug up a couple of threads.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464147/akg-k702-listen-impression

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472634/my-new-k702-and-how-it-differs-from-my-burnt-in-k701

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #107 of 116
Back on with my closed backed K44s, the baby of the range. They far from disgrace themselves sonically, but the build quality is miles behind the K702s. But gone is the soundstage and the dryness of the sound, replaced with warmth, a more bloomy bass and what feel like resonances that I associate with the almost echo quality of closed backed listening.

I like both sounds. I don't understand why some people announce that they hate the K70x because of the dryness. I am far happier having a range of headphones that give me different sounds.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #108 of 116
as much as i've read it, i still didn't realize how important source was.
with my keces dac (in use for the last 6 months or so), my k702s were pretty clinical sounding.

but with the stagedac (just arrived last week), they sound rich and creamy.
the bass is just right, and the upper mid-range hump is much more tolerable.
and the soundstage is really quite something...

L3000.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #109 of 116
"renlute,
what amp are you building?"

I have the PCB in house and parts on order for the Sjostrom Audio QRV07.  Per-Anders, the designer, says it will drive anything. We shall see.

http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=27

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #110 of 116

Quote:
"renlute,
what amp are you building?"

I have the PCB in house and parts on order for the Sjostrom Audio QRV07.  Per-Anders, the designer, says it will drive anything. We shall see.

http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=27

that looks like a nice amp.  i don't think i've read of anyone building one of these here.  i enjoy SMD, but most are put off with it.  how much total to stuff the PCB?  i might be interested in a cheap and easy project.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #111 of 116
Not sure it will be either cheap or easy. It won't be very expensive, though, unless I get surprised by wrong parts or high assembly fee. So far it's cost $42 for the board and about $100 for parts, but I'm not done tracking them down. The designer's bill of materials is related to a Swedish distributor, Elfa. It was a mistake for me not to order everything from them. I probably would have paid more, plus maybe import duty, but saved weeks looking and waiting. I'm getting some from Digikey and some from Newark, but there are a couple pieces neither source has. Mouser never responded after I sent the list for quotes.

I am a complete novice at soldering and can't read a schematic, so I ain't doin it myself. This is sophisticated. I have a personal contact to a Silicon Valley PCB assembly firm where I will contract the job out. They'll do it right, cleanly and quickly, and won't burn out a transistor or electrocute themselves as I might.

Mostly I am interested in getting a very HQ, high-powered amp affordably. I do seem to be a pioneer for this unit at head-fi, though it was designed in 2004. It's been mentioned here but nobody has reported on finishing assembly, or said much about its performance.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #112 of 116
I'm expecting the K702s tomorrow! I mainly bought these to listen to my acoustic collection (i.e. John Mayer - Inside Wants Out, Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds  - Live at Luther College, Maroon 5 - 1.22.03 Acoustic, and etc). I will leave my impressions after i get them!

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #113 of 116
I have the 240DFs and also the HD 650s from Sennheiser. I can compare just them with a powerful tube amp. HD 650 is a more meaty and more "stereo Hi-Fi (as High Fidelity)" listening experience.  I certainly feel the highs on the DF are a bit rocky and flat, not enough airy and not so extended, not so realistic and 3D as with HD 650. The mids are very good, some slow new age mellow music just sounds more atmospheric with the DFs, amazing so that in those moments I want to be forever connected with the 240DF. Vocal sounds very good with 240DF as well.  
 The bass is just on the hearing level, it is there, only Etymotic style, worse in fact than er4S. But if K702 are say %30 better than 240DF then I would not bother getting them, not a chance. HD 650s with a tube amp is the overall pleasant expensive Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers experience with no serious faults. No wonder they are so regarded here. For 650s you just need the right amp and a musical source be it even a M-Audio PC 24/192 soundcard . While with  AKGs you, most probably, are limited by their sound signature. That's at least my vision for now. Too much airy and lightweight sound is no good for a long time love affair. Grados have the same lightweight  sound and I appreciate it only on rare occasions. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #116 of 116
Hi guys,

I am currently driving my AKG K 702 with a Little Dot MKIII. I have been thinking to upgrade my tube headphone amp and in particular I have been considering the Schist Asgard 2.

I would appreciate if someone could advice weather this upgrade would be worth it or not. 

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back