A K702 impressions thread
May 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

dreamist

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking here for a while and read a lot of bashing on the AKG K70x headphones.  Seems like they are one of the most hated cans around here (although there are lots of fans, too).

I've just got mine a few days ago, the K702 with no modifications, and they are still in the burning in process.  I think I've had around 60-70 hours until this morning, so I decided to test them against my monitor speakers, the KRK VXT4, to see how they fare.

To my surprise, they sound really close to my monitors.  They share almost the same tonal signature.  The VXT4's are just a tiny bit brighter and warmer in the low mid, and the K702 are a little more well-defined in the bass region.  But I'm talking very small differences here.  My other headphones sound much more different from my monitors.

Granted, the KRK's are certainly not the flattest/most neutral monitors in the world, and they are known to be a bit forward sounding.  Moreover, the VXT4's, with their small woofers, do not extend very deep in the bass region.  So I guess it might not be very surprising that they share tonal similarity with the K702.

Perhaps it's also in how I'm wearing the headphones.  I wear my K702 a bit lower and forward so that the pads touch the back and the top of my ears.  This make the sound slightly warmer/deeper and reduce the high-end a bit.  I've been doing these since my Grado days.

I can now say I'm very happy with my purchase, regardless of the bad reps they've got around here.  I've got the phones that should go along well with my monitors.  I'm now eager to see what a few hundred hours more of burning in could bring me. :)

For reference, before the K702, I've had a pair of Grado SR80, and still own a pair of AKG K271 Studio (with new Mk II pads), and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 Ohms).  I plug the phones directly to the headphone amp output of my audio interface, TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6.

May 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 116
In headfi we all differ in opinions regarding headphones, everyone have different tastes. We are glad that you are enjoying your new  K702 cans! 

May 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 116
Good to read your impressions as mine are scheduled to arrive this AM in todays mail. I purchased them from the for sale forum here so they are already burned in. I'll  compare them to my Event Alp5 speakers(pretty mediocre, IMO) and my k240DF. I've read a few negatives about the vocals (plastic sounding?) with the k70X's so it will be interesting to compare with the 240DF which are very natural sounding. 

May 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 116
Quote:
I've been lurking here for a while and read a lot of bashing on the AKG K70x headphones.  Seems like they are one of the most hated cans around here (although there are lots of fans, too).

Really?  I have not noticed this >_>

though it makes me start to reconsider my choices for upgrading in a few months

May 24, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 116
I actually find the K702 to be natural to my ears, just a bit forward sounding.  But I guess it's normal considering I've been using the speakers that sound similar to them. :)

May 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 116
The AKG K70x are the marmite headphones on the forum, they inspire love and hate in equal measure. 

May 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 116
The K702 are my favorite - it's the closest to my tastes with the least amount of compromises. I've yet to hear >1K phones, so this may change.

May 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 116

Quote:
The AKG K70x are the marmite headphones on the forum, they inspire love and hate in equal measure. 

All from my personal perspective and to my own ears:
It took me a while to fully understand the K702's and issues I hear surrounding it.  They're a very good, but flawed pair of cans.  Flawed they are in a way that limits the spectrum of music they sound great with.  I'm hearing flaws in the bass as well as treble... subtle but there.  I can see these flaws creating haters among those who listen to music that bring those flaws to light.  In the same way, I can see the K702's strengths making devoted followers.  I have quite an eclectic taste for music so I'm indifferent to them since I can enjoy them with a lot of my music.

May 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 116
When I get round to getting a better amp, the K70x are definitely on my wishlist. Gotta hear for myself what that soundstage is all about.

May 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 116
Just got the 702's and listening to Miles and Coltrane. Yes!!!I These are definitely jazz headphones...at least acoustic jazz. The bass is very realistic...excellent, at least with acoustic. Sorry, if many feel they are bass light, but I'm listening to "Two Bass Hit" and its so much like the real thing it's almost scary. I was a jazz drummer for a few years before switching to guitar, so I've heard a lot of live music...and so far these are the closest to 'live' that I've heard. Treble/upper mids are a bit too much. I don't think anyone would intentionally mix cymbals as forward as I'm hearing on some songs. So far I'm hearing no problem with vocals...no excessive sibilance or 'plastic' sound, but this is only the first short session with them. Overall a big thumbs up.

May 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 116
Glad you finally got them.. Are they close to being neutral as your 240DF..

Quote:
Just got the 702's and listening to Miles and Coltrane. Yes!!!I These are definitely jazz headphones...at least acoustic jazz. The bass is very realistic...excellent, at least with acoustic. Sorry, if many feel they are bass light, but I'm listening to "Two Bass Hit" and its so much like the real thing it's almost scary. I was a jazz drummer for a few years before switching to guitar, so I've heard a lot of live music...and so far these are the closest to 'live' that I've heard. Treble/upper mids are a bit too much. I don't think anyone would intentionally mix cymbals as forward as I'm hearing on some songs. So far I'm hearing no problem with vocals...no excessive sibilance or 'plastic' sound, but this is only the first short session with them. Overall a big thumbs up.

May 24, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 116

Quote:
Glad you finally got them.. Are they close to being neutral as your 240DF..

Can't say for sure yet, but one of the two sets must be off in the upper mids/low treble. The 702 seems to have a spike as others have also reported hearing. The 702 does bass a lot better, but the DF does vocals better. The 702 sounds kind of hollow...hard to explain, but not as lifelike as the DF, IMO. This is only after about 1 hour with the k702 so I may feel differently after more extensive listening. So far I would say that for the instrument separation, the detail retrieval, and the bass, they're well worth the price of admission! In fact to get a h/p that does acoustic bass like the 702 is almost alone worth the price.

May 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 116
Akg lover here! i love the mids and detailed sound. Im sure you will love them more and more! 

May 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 116
Miles Davis' trumpet sounds more lifelike with the 240DF, IMO. No wonder they're so highly regarded as studio monitors. It's similar to the problem I'm getting with the vocals...kind of hollow...the timbre may be slightly off. O.K. that's my subjective opinion anyway. More listening later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back